• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whoa Nellie! CGC 9.6 Showcase 4

17 posts in this topic

Yeah, he bought that book apparently for a customer of his from an old Heritage auction I think. About 4 or 5 years ago.

That book came from a collection called the Newsboy run or something like that. Michael Goldman the owner of Motor City comics bought that run of Showcases - I think it was 1 - 20 in high grade from an original owner.

Pretty neat that there is only one 9.6

I had the pleasure of holding that book in hand (Well, in Mylar, lol ) years ago after Mike bought it, it deserves every bit of that 9.6.

Absolutely gorgeous book.

So I'm a little confused.. is the asking price on this supposed to be ONE MILLION DOLLARS?

-J.

He's probably fielding offers.

So I'm a little confused.. is the asking price on this supposed to be ONE MILLION DOLLARS?

-J.

He's probably fielding offers.

What is this book worth these days? 1:1 on a book that hasn't exactly burned up the charts. To say the 2009 sale on this book was disappointing is an understatement. Maybe the 2010 sale was a "record", but a record could mean it sold for $180k.

In that same time B&B 28 has probably doubled in value. How about Showcase 4?

What is up with the left side of the top edge? Shaken slab damage?

Isn't that great? That's an area where the top overhang is slightly bent backwards, and is the way early SA comics should look. Its presence suggests that the comic may never have been pressed.

What an extraordinary copy. Great to see the front and back cover scans of it. The white pages, great cover registration, and lack of nasty interior page poke-through are the icing on the cake.

What is up with the left side of the top edge? Shaken slab damage?

Isn't that great? That's an area where the top overhang is slightly bent backwards, and is the way early SA comics should look. Its presence suggests that the comic may never have been pressed.

What an extraordinary copy. Great to see the front and back cover scans of it. The white pages, great cover registration, and lack of nasty interior page poke-through are the icing on the cake.

It could be that, but it looks like there is a bit of a ding at the top of the spine as well which makes me wonder if there is some shaken slab damage.

I agree it is a beautiful book regardless, but I am curious to see if the top edge overhange bend could result in a small color breaking crease down the road if not reholdered.

Looking at the scan in this other thread on the boards you can see what I mean re: risk of overhange bend to crease.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8070849

For comparison, here is the original HA auction in 2009 for just under $180K.

http://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/showcase-4-the-flash-dc-1956-cgc-nm-96-white-pages/a/7007-91261.s#Photo

Looking at the top left corner area under higher magnification, it looks like there is a slight corner bump/ding at the top of the spine. The overhang bend was still there though.

-J.

i thought it was $999,999.99 (shrug)

The penny makes all the difference

I'll bet you could negotiate free shipping. (:

Yeah, he bought that book apparently for a customer of his from an old Heritage auction I think. About 4 or 5 years ago.

That book came from a collection called the Newsboy run or something like that. Michael Goldman the owner of Motor City comics bought that run of Showcases - I think it was 1 - 20 in high grade from an original owner.

Pretty neat that there is only one 9.6

It's the Newsboys and the other Showcases from that set were sold in the same auction.

http://comics.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?N=52+790+231+4294958222+4294957976