• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you assume most NM+ are pre-screening rejects?

21 posts in this topic

If the person selling the book seems to have a lot of slabbed books I almost always assume the books must have gone thru pre-screening for 9.8. I know there are a bunch of reasons to sell books raw considering to cost and time it takes to slab a book but it always crosses my head. Do you assume the same thing.

And if you did get a batch of rejected books from a pre-screening would you state it in your sales thread or is it no ones business as long as you don't state they are possible 9.8s.

depends on the book.

if it's a hot book the seller might be looking to cash out rather than wait for slabbing time.

if it's a book that is a steady value, and he's selling it for a price that it would appear profitable to buy and slab, and the seller seems to have lots of other slabbed books then yeah, it probably hasnt passed the 9.8 muster, either CGC's pre-screen or maybe his/her own.

I wouldn't pay 9.8 slab prices regardless so I don't put much thought into it. If it's a new modern, I'll pay cover price at most. If it's something that's been around a while, I'll pay going rate on eBay. If they want to charge CGC 9.8 prices, they can go slab it.

I'm assuming they arent trying to sell for CGC 9.8 prices for a raw... Im more imagining this scenario

CGC9.8 market value $100, CGC 9.6 equal to the cost of slabbing ($30-40 or so)

someone is selling a "NM+" copy of the book raw for $50... you could slab it and come out a smidge ahead assuming it comes back 9.8, but if it's a 9.6 you just flushed money.

I do not pre screen anything, ever. I grade a lot of moderns and coppers though. I will gladly sell a 9.6 as a 9.6. And I sell lots of raw 9.8's, sometimes I just do not submit books. I also do put books into my back stock and wall books to give "wins". Who are you more likely to buy from in the future? The guy you scored the X Factor 6 in 9.8 from, or the guy you bought a stack of books from and made a small profit? Everyone wants wins!

And if a dealer slabs lots of moderns, I am far more diligent in my grading. There are always wins to be had!

If the person selling the book seems to have a lot of slabbed books I almost always assume the books must have gone thru pre-screening for 9.8. I know there are a bunch of reasons to sell books raw considering to cost and time it takes to slab a book but it always crosses my head. Do you assume the same thing.

And if you did get a batch of rejected books from a pre-screening would you state it in your sales thread or is it no ones business as long as you don't state they are possible 9.8s.

I'm not sure why a seller who is selling a book graded at NM or NM+ would need to disclose that the book did not pass a CGC NM/MT pre-screen.

Now if you pre-screen books at NM/MT and sell the rejects as raw CGC 9.8 candidates, that's no good.

To answer your question, I assume that no books I purchase sight unseen from either an unknown or large volume seller are ever 9.8. You may as well put the money on RED or BLACK and take a spin.

If the seller is clearly a CGC guy, and he is selling a book described at NM+, and the book sells for $50 more in a 9.8 slab, you are pretty safe to assume it isn't a 9.8 and may have been to CGC for a screen. Since no one ever claimed it to be NM/MT, this roulette wheel is little different than the previous one.

I'm assuming they arent trying to sell for CGC 9.8 prices for a raw... Im more imagining this scenario

CGC9.8 market value $100, CGC 9.6 equal to the cost of slabbing ($30-40 or so)

someone is selling a "NM+" copy of the book raw for $50... you could slab it and come out a smidge ahead assuming it comes back 9.8, but if it's a 9.6 you just flushed money.

Yeah, I'd pay going rate on eBay. Unless it was something released this year, then I'll pay four bucks no matter what eBay says.

I'm not sure why a seller who is selling a book graded at NM or NM+ would need to disclose that the book did not pass a CGC NM/MT pre-screen.

Now if you pre-screen books at NM/MT and sell the rejects as raw CGC 9.8 candidates, that's no good.

To answer your question, I assume that no books I purchase site unseen from an either an unknown or large volume seller are ever 9.8. You may as well put the money on RED or BLACK and take a spin.

If the seller is clearly a CGC guy, and he is selling a book described at NM+, and the book sells for $50 more in a 9.8 slab, you are pretty safe to assume it isn't a 9.8 and may have been to CGC for a screen. Since no one ever claimed it to be NM/MT, this roulette wheel is little different than the previous one.

+1. to take it a step further: do you assume that every raw NM did not pass a 9.6 pre-screen or every raw NM- did not pass a 9.4 pre-screen, etc.

To answer your question, I assume that no books I purchase site unseen from an either an unknown or large volume seller are ever 9.8. You may as well put the money on RED or BLACK and take a spin.

If I have 100 books that will be worth $100.00 each, and it costs me $30.00 to buy the raw book and grade it, why bother. I realize you have a solid profit, but what can I do with the money I have tied up over a 3 month period? Why bother having CGC holding my money when I can find a better couple of books for $100.00 that will sell for $400 later? There are so many factors with this stuff. I don't want to give CGC $1,000.00 loans so I can make some change here and there. CGC is the biggest factor, the profit is important, but disposable income is MORE important.

If I have 100 books that will be worth $100.00 each, and it costs me $30.00 to buy the raw book and grade it, why bother. I realize you have a solid profit, but what can I do with the money I have tied up over a 3 month period? Why bother having CGC holding my money when I can find a better couple of books for $100.00 that will sell for $400 later? There are so many factors with this stuff. I don't want to give CGC $1,000.00 loans so I can make some change here and there. CGC is the biggest factor, the profit is important, but disposable income is MORE important.

+1!

Sometimes!

Well, if they know for a fact it isn't a NM+ and they advertise it as so, I'd say they're doing something wrong.

"But it is a NM+ in my opinion! CGC isn't always right!"

That's an excuse I'd buy from someone who doesn't use their services, but someone who thinks CGC is right when it's profitable for them and wrong when it isn't, these are the exact kinds of people that make CGC relevant in comics today.

Whenever I sell a book here on the boards at "NM+" - I consider it NM+ (9.6).

If the listing says "NM+ or better" it means I consider it a 9.8 candidate. I usually give the option of CGC 9.8 slabbing for additional cost if the buyer wants it but some people just want a raw copy. Now, I have no control on what that buyer does or how he/she handles the book after he/she gets it and maybe self submits to CGC so I state NM+ or better.

If the listing says "NM+ or better" it means I consider it a 9.8 candidate. I usually give the option of CGC 9.8 slabbing for additional cost if the buyer wants it but some people just want a raw copy. Now, I have no control on what that buyer does or how he/she handles the book after he/she gets it and maybe self submits to CGC so I state NM+ or better.

That's the highest I'd ever give something as well if I were selling (NM+ or better).

Personally, I'm afraid to list any raw book over NM+. If it looks NM/MT there's a good chance it will be NM+ by the time USPS gets done with it. Also, although I will buy and sell graded books, I typically don't submit any raw comics that I feel are worth <$500 unless they are SS. The TATs on anything cheaper are too long for me to wait.

On any given Sunday you can re-sub those rejects and get a 9.8. Happens all the time

Not slabbing,I think its a lot less of a hassle if you have multiples of books worth under $500.00 to unload when they are hot. To take the time to pre-screen or even slab is tying up a lot of capital and time.

Selling fast , raw books with good grading to purchase other wants happens all the time.

I also agree that discounting the cost of the entire slab process and under grading a touch with great scans is reasonable and honest.

That's the highest I'd ever give something as well if I were selling (NM+ or better).

NM+ or better is the standard, or 9.6+ could be used. But I have sold books as nm/m and they seemed to have come back as such.