• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Joe Linsner on CGC and Cry for Dawn Counterfits

189 posts in this topic

http://joelinsner.blogspot.ca/2014/10/spotting-cfd-bootleg-part-1.html?spref=fb

Hey Folks,

Copies of the old CRY FOR DAWN #1 bootleg have popped up again. This is a nightmare for everyone -- readers, collectors, and most of all, me. I've spent over $10,000 on lawyers in the past trying to get to the bottom of who ripped me off, and to get these out of the marketplace. Kristina has been on the front lines recovering copies, and helping me cut through the mess. It gets pretty sickening.

It is heartbreaking seeing someone's smiling face drop when they come to me at a con asking me to sign what they think is a real CFD #1 and I have to tell them the sad truth -- that they got robbed and bought a bootleg. A dark cloud of shame falls over them, "I got ripped off for SO MUCH MONEY!" You and me both, friend. And I'm still paying for it.

UPON MY LAWYERS ADVICE, I cannot sign a bootleg because signing it would authenticate it.

To make matters worse, the CGC has 'authenticated' a few of these marked 'counterfeit' as collectibles. Great job, CGC. "Yes, this is an authentic fake -- genuinely ingenuine." That really makes them look classy. Do they really need every penny offered to them? I assumed that the CGC was bigger than that -- I guess I was wrong. I've seen these slabbed counterfeits show up for sale on eBay. (It is against Ebay rules to knowingly list counterfeit merchandise). That is a big FXXX YOU to everyone. All the CGC cares about is getting their cash for grading and slabbing it.

Some blabbermouth found these on eBay when an unsuspecting seller listed them as real. Instead of coming to me, he aided in helping to get at least 10 of the recent bootlegs into the hands of other collectors, and is going around online shooting his mouth off with an UNAUTHORIZED CFD fan site. Proclaiming that he is an expert on my work and offering to 'authenticate' my printed materials. In truth, he is just an over zealous fan who swipes my work in his photoshopped digital art disasters modeled after Dawn. He knows nothing.

Any "fan" who feels like their collection is not complete until they have a copy of the bootleg is not a true fan of comics. Sadly, I cannot choose who likes my work. It would be a very different world if I could. I am sure those 'completists' are the same ones who complain that I take too long to produce new material. Well, dealing with nightmares like this saps my time, money and my enthusiasm. On days when the counterfeit CFD crosses my path, I just sit in my my studio and ask myself why the fxxk do I bother?

Joe Linsner

This is the first part of a series where I will discuss the bootleg, and how you can tell them apart. Do not trust the CGC or any other fan site that claims to be an authority on the matter of my works. I have seen more copies of the real Cry For Dawn #1 than anyone else on earth. I know just how much the ink varies from copy to copy, and can tell a real from a fake in a heartbeat -without authoring a verbose and speculative lecture on it.

And it's one of the 3 Guarantees CGC makes...

(emphasis mine)

Grading Service FAQs

Q. Does CGC offer a grading guarantee?

A. Due to the fragile nature of comic books, CGC does not offer a grading guarantee. However, CGC does offer the following guarantee: a) CGC guarantees that two or more comic professionals will review every comic book submitted for grading. b) CGC guarantees its holder to be free of defects. Defective holders will be replaced at no charge, except when it is determined (at CGC's sole discretion) that the holder was subjected to abuse, or if damage is the result of storage in a hazardous environment. c) CGC guarantees that all books it certifies are authentic, as described on the CGC grading label.

(emphasis mine)

Grading Service FAQs

A. Due to the fragile nature of comic books, CGC does not offer a grading guarantee. However, CGC does offer the following guarantee: a) CGC guarantees that two or more comic professionals will review every comic book submitted for grading. b) CGC guarantees its holder to be free of defects. Defective holders will be replaced at no charge, except when it is determined (at CGC's sole discretion) that the holder was subjected to abuse, or if damage is the result of storage in a hazardous environment. c) CGC guarantees that all books it certifies are authentic, as described on the CGC grading label.

Yes, this is an authentic fake -- genuinely ingenuine."

(emphasis mine)

Grading Service FAQs

Yes, this is an authentic fake -- genuinely ingenuine."

Google the legal definition of "Authentic" and some of the defining terms are...

not false

inartificial

genuine in origin

unsimulated

So if it's an official Label, and there's a Guarantee that if labeled it's Authentic...

(shrug)

It's not like you can have an unsimulated simulation. Or a 'not false' replica. Can you?

I have an old CGC sticker that came back on a book they wouldn't slab. There are a variety of reasons on the sticker and in my case it was checked for overhang. One of the reasons a book could not be slabbed was counterfeit.

I guess times have changed.

I'll wager CGC wouldn't slab a Marvel book as a counterfeit, as Disney would sue their balls off. Easier to pick on small publishers that cant afford to fight them.

So CGC is not catching that there are counterfeit?

Yes, they are. Lisner seems to be saying that by grading them, they are sort of legitimizing them.

Do they say they are counterfeit on the CGC label?

Yes, they are. Lisner seems to be saying that by grading them, they are sort of legitimizing them.

Yeah, his complaint is they're "marked 'counterfeit' as collectibles" by CGC, and in doing so produce an "authentic fake" in the marketplace.

Yeah, his complaint is they're "marked 'counterfeit' as collectibles" by CGC, and in doing so produce an "authentic fake" in the marketplace.

Which is a valid complaint. I understand that the position has been put out there that they are an important part of comic history, but I'm not sure why that justifies it. It's a bad part of comic history.