• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Charge Backs, eBay, and Paranoia

88 posts in this topic

I used to sell on eBay all the time, but haven't for years now. I've read so many horror stories of sudden "charge backs", locked accounts, lost merchandise and such that it makes me paranoid to try eBay again. :eek:

Anyway, I just got a Paypal "policy updates" email...

"We're increasing the time for buyers to file merchandise disputes (Item Not Received and Significantly Not as Described) from 45 days to 180 days."

For casual sellers, selling to use the money, do you wait 6 months before touching it? Seems like it could cause all kinds of havoc if "my baby child got my credit card" months later, or simple "buyer's remorse", and the money was long gone.

Thoughts?

The only thing I can say is that if a buyer waits 179 days (!!) to file an Item Not As Described case, I would hope that ebay would take the ridiculousness of that into consideration when deciding the case. I don't have much faith that they will though.

This is great news for people that like to set their coffee cup down on their comics like me!

That is bad. I sold a couple laser disc players a few years ago and one of the buyers complained it didn't work over a month after they got it. They agreed that there was no damage to the box it was mailed in, but that it didn't work. I believe that they broke it themselves by jamming in a disc, but eBay was more willing to believe them sight unseen. To me, this opens the door wider for people to break what you send them, use your book to upgrade theirs - file a claim - and ship you their under copy after getting money back, find a cheaper copy elsewhere, buyers remorse, etc.

When the buyer of the laser disc filed a claim the money that they spent was automatically deducted from my account and frozen until the buyer sent machine back, but they never sent it back so my money was released back to me.

It is getting bad to sell anywhere on line anymore as unscrupulous buyers like to make dishonest claims asking for their money back or partial. You never know what you'll get back in the mail after you refund so you opt to partial refund and I think these buyers are banking on that.

When was the last time that ebay made a change that made sense?

When they expanded from selling only PEZ dispensers.

I rarely sell anything over $125 so it's no massive loss if the worst should happen, I spend and will continue to do so whilst trying to maintain a smaller pot than the sum of any given period. It doesn't feel necessary to work things any other way looking at the percentages. If I was selling higher value items then things might be different.

There have been two occasions where I got an INR and was in a position to send an immediate replacement which were on both occasions declined, that didn't sit well as I would have made good regardless. Why decline a replacement if you paid for it and want it? I just have to rely on tracking or proof and claiming to cover myself if it comes down to that. It's still a pain when it happens, but the end of the day it's been many more good experiences to my benefit than bad and I am expecting it will continue that way.

I'm kind of new to selling a few things via other places (boards, Facebook groups, etc) online but that has worked out pretty well as an alternative on occasion and certainly something that I would recommend people also try.

What worries me is that this will lead to eBay trying to force all the shipping revenue into their own pockets by making it virtually impossible for sellers to feel safe unless they use some form of eBay shipping that they will outsource. Global shipping is currently a real turn off as an international buyer.

Edit: BTW this already happened in the UK on 17 June.

Question: True or not...

If your Paypal is connected to your Bank and the money's no longer in your Paypal acct, can they pull it from your bank acct. without notice?

very interesting question. I rarely leave the funds in my paypal account so I do want to know the answer to this.

If your Paypal is connected to your Bank and the money's no longer in your Paypal acct, can they pull it from your bank acct. without notice?

very interesting question. I rarely leave the funds in my paypal account so I do want to know the answer to this.

They cannot. They'll suspend your Paypal account. That's the worst they can do.

Peace,

Chip

I've read where Ebay Sellers set up two checking accounts, so when Paypal funds are transferred to one checking account they immediately pull it and deposit it in the one Paypal can't get at.

Hopefully someone will confirm if it's true or not. It's so insane it has that feel of 'urban legend' to it.

They cannot. They'll suspend your Paypal account. That's the worst they can do.

Peace,

Chip

Thanks. (thumbs u That clears that up.

Another question, true or not:

For the casual seller is it now safer to take advantage of all the consignment and blind auction venues than it is to mess with eBay?

180 days is totally overboard. What store offers a return program like that?

And I"m paranoid about chargebacks too. Never happened to me but I've dealt with some scammers on eBay before.

Khols. I stood in line behind a woman at the service desk of the local khols once. She was returning shoes that had clearly been well worn for about a year. No receipt, no tags, and no box. They issued her a store credit after finding them in the system and she went on her merry way.

45 days or 180 days, my guess is that an abuser is going to abuse it at the same rate they would in either case. Locks on doors are only good to keep the honest people honest and the crooks are going to steal no matter what.

:preach:

180 days is totally overboard. What store offers a return program like that?

And I"m paranoid about chargebacks too. Never happened to me but I've dealt with some scammers on eBay before.

They are bringing their system into line with or even surpassing certain credit card charge back schemes to compete, outside of the eBay / store arena if PayPal want to be used for say any event ticket purchases or services then they need to offer more than 45 days for anything bought months in advance. It's this or not being able to grow the business.