• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel's Milo Manara variants

12 posts in this topic

Hello all. I've a Manara fan, and I've been trying to track down all of his Marvel covers even before the Spider-Woman drama. I just thought I'd start a thread to see if anyone else is interested in his stuff, what ones are really most popular, and what's selling.

So far I'm having issues tracking down the Black Widow and Psylocke covers but I've got most of the others. Consider scans coming soon!

Anyone else out there looking for these?

Yes, the Spider-Woman one is still happening. I pre-ordered one and I'm hopeing more still happen. I just snagged the Savage Wolverine #2 one, aka: Shanna cover. I'm pretty sure it was his 1st, maybe 2nd after the Scarlet Witch one.

That Psylocke one is killer. Yes, he did all the art on the X-Women one-shot. Fantastic book!

Manara has always been a very good artist, problem is 99% of his female characters look the same (including Ororo, which is not caucasian, and does not make sense drawn that way).

I did not know that ugly graphic novel was published in the USA. The story is embarassing, knowing it has been written from Claremont. :sick:

I don't know why his covers are controversial. These covers are tame compared to some of the stuff zenescope puts out.

In the case of the Spider-Woman cover it was more than the art itself. It was that Marvel pointed to the series specifically as an example of what they were doing to improve the depiction of women in comics. In the choice between fighting the objectification of women or money, they chose the latter.

T&A is what Zenescope does. No one expects them to change because to change means to go out of business. That doesn't make it acceptable, it just makes it a waste of time to fight; that energy is more productively focused on a much more visible company that seems to recognize that the objectification of women is a problem. That's the difference.