• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kirby's Best Work After Marvel?

69 posts in this topic

But the Demon series lasted like....uh, 16 issues.... or something like that. Kamandi continued on much MUCH longer

But only the Kirby issues are good (okay maybe really good). I actually love the Kamandi series as well. I regret not picking up a splash from the series that was listed on eBay forever.

Posting on this yesterday, made me dig out my demon collection and start reading it all over again! It really is utterly fantastic.

I've never read Kamandi, but I will go out and put up a few issues.

Kamandi was easily my favorite Kirby creation after leaving Marvel. Yes, it's an obvious copy of Planet of the Apes but I love that 'World as we know it is destroyed' storyline. Allowing all the animals to talk and act like humans and interact was genius and gave Kirby a vast fictional world to explore.

But Kamandi became less interesting (art wise) when Berry started inking Kirby.

OK, but that goes for the artwork alone, and also the late issues (not by Kirby) are quite a trip… worth reading! :)

Yes, but when Berry takes over from Royer, the art is really not that good anymore. Berry was a pretty bad inker for Kirby, except for a few Losers issues.

I never read the non Kirby issues.

Kamandi was easily my favorite Kirby creation after leaving Marvel. Yes, it's an obvious copy of Planet of the Apes but I love that 'World as we know it is destroyed' storyline. Allowing all the animals to talk and act like humans and interact was genius and gave Kirby a vast fictional world to explore.

More than a copy it was using the Planet of the Apes as a loose canvas in its basic idea, but Kamandi is a lot more.

The non-Kirby issues are worth reading, and although I don’t like the "conclusion" (Kamandi #60-61) probably rushed up and published in the Cancelled Comics Cavalcade, I like the idea they approach the source of the Great Disaster, and the Great Disaster is not what you expect, plus the relationship between Kamandi and Omac is suggested. The ending is not good, the mystery of Kamandi's early issues (with Ben Boxer, Pyra et al.) is somewhat lost by Harris in the two final episodes, but he managed to produce very original ones, with the canine Holmes and Watson, and the tribe of cats "stoned" with catnip. :cloud9:

OK, but that goes for the artwork alone, and also the late issues (not by Kirby) are quite a trip… worth reading! :)

Yes, but when Berry takes over from Royer, the art is really not that good anymore. Berry was a pretty bad inker for Kirby, except for a few Losers issues.

Thibodeaux was not such a suitable inker for him as well, but Jack wanted to give work to him as he was a young artist in need of an income at the time. Jack has always been very generous.

Thibodeaux was not such a suitable inker for him as well, but Jack wanted to give work to him as he was a young artist in need of an income at the time. Jack has always been very generous.

That he was. And a very nice person as well. I have a couple of friends who visited him a few times and they have been very well received by the Kirby's.

Posting on this yesterday, made me dig out my demon collection and start reading it all over again! It really is utterly fantastic.

I've never read Kamandi, but I will go out and put up a few issues.

Both Kamandi and Demon are truly great reads.I recommend Eternals to go along with them.

I particularly enjoyed #11 -12 where he rode the giant grasshopper Klick Klack in Sackers race. That was a cool read

Issue 12 was the first American (non-reprint) Kirby comic I ever read.

And they used that smelly stuff to control KlickKlack and Flower's sister was in that one

What about the superman costume and apes would dress in it and see if they could fly like the legends after being catapulted. I guess Kamandi happened after the legion of super heroes.

I particularly enjoyed #11 -12 where he rode the giant grasshopper Klick Klack in Sackers race. That was a cool read

Issue 12 was the first American (non-reprint) Kirby comic I ever read.

:applause: thats a good start