• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jim Shooter: where is he now?

52 posts in this topic

IHis interview with Zurzolo on comiczone 7 or so years ago was great. Anyone who hasn't listened to it should!

I would love to listen to this interview. I have searched for it online but it seems like the Comiczoneradio website is down.

http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/http://www.comiczoneradio.com

Does anyone have a copy of the audio file to share?

If this is the one, you can find it here - it is a German site (I believe) but the links work and I downloaded the first segment. It is broken into three segments.

Segment 1

Segment 2

Segment 3

Thanks for posting those. I haven't listened to this in a long time.

The other interview where Jim speaks after Haspel is excellent too. It's great hearing the stories of the business side of things that we never had the privilege to know about.

Valiant wasn't my cup of tea, but I know many, many people who swear by it.

Fantastic and seasoned approach to building out an entire universe that over time had ties across the titles. Right from my first book I read (Archer & Armstrong 0) I was hooked. It started unraveling after he left where it didn't have that feeling of cohesion going forward. It was definitely one of my favorite periods in comic book history.

:cloud9:

The attention to detail is what made me appreciate those early Valiant books. Every book you read felt like it was part of a much large story that had been meticulously planned. I stuck with Valiant after he left, but only because I enjoyed the characters that he helped create so much. It is a shame that things didn't work out differently. We as fans unfortunately won't ever know what great stories could have been.

Jim Shooter trying to buy Marvel. I wonder what would have happened to the company and how different things would be now if that transaction had taken place.

I've wonderedd that myself sometimes. I think the early Valiant was a taste of the potential. But as big as Marvel's portfolio of characters is, I don't think it would have been so cleanly handled early on without some massive changes.

Jim Shooter trying to buy Marvel. I wonder what would have happened to the company and how different things would be now if that transaction had taken place.

I've wonderedd that myself sometimes. I think the early Valiant was a taste of the potential. But as big as Marvel's portfolio of characters is, I don't think it would have been so cleanly handled early on without some massive changes.

If he bought Marvel let`s see?

Marvel doesn't go bankrupt. (thumbs u

Marvel doesn`t use Heroes World as its sole distributer. (thumbs u

There is no Image because Shooter would keep the young hot artists in place. hm

There is no Valiant! :o

From the comic standpoint, I definitely think it would have been for the better creatively. However, even with fantastic creativity, publishing would still be on the decline.

What I wonder most about is if Marvel would have made the same multimedia success story. While they have obviously been successful overall, it hasn't been perfect. Would it have been even more successful with Shooter? Perhaps selling the rights of Spidey, X-Men and FF in the late 90s would not have been necessary if there had been no previous massive bankruptcy. But then again, maybe if that didn't happen, a studio like 20th Century Fox would never have been able to take the chance and make the first successful mainstream Marvel movie in X-Men...and then Marvel would never have taken the risk in movie production for itself or had Disney backing.

Marvel should make a What If comic titled, "What If: Jim Shooter Bought Marvel Comics".

I have listened to the radio interview today and there are many interesting things that Shooter says and that I did not know.

He has drawn some comic books. He also did one cover of Magnus.

In the old times, the business offices of Marvel did not know anything about the characters. They licensed Amazing Spider-Man and Spectacular Spider-Man to two different companies, thinking that these were two different characters.

At one point, someone got the license for a couple of years for all the Marvel characters for only $25k.

The interview is very interesting, Shooter is a super smart guy and I regret that he does not have a more prominent role in the current comic books' world.

I have always liked Shooter, he is what comics needed at the time of his height. A lot of people focus on a single negative to cast judgement over his career without holding same accountability to others.

I do not believe he gets the respect he deserves for what he did and most people under the age of 30 probably do not even know of him.

Another interesting thing from his interview: he says that publishers nowadays are not innovating anymore. He recalls how Marvel was known as the House of Ideas and how this may not be true today, as the publisher just keeps on doing the same old thing again and again. Well, don't you agree about this, today even more, after the news related to the new Secret Wars event?

Another interesting thing from his interview: he says that publishers nowadays are not innovating anymore. He recalls how Marvel was known as the House of Ideas and how this may not be true today, as the publisher just keeps on doing the same old thing again and again. Well, don't you agree about this, today even more, after the news related to the new Secret Wars event?

If you consider endless reboots, no continuity, and lame character deaths (and then the eventual rebirth we all know is coming) as innovation, then Marvel leads the world!

If you consider endless reboots, no continuity, and lame character deaths (and then the eventual rebirth we all know is coming) as innovation, then Marvel leads the world!

Oh! If I was rich, I would hire Shooter, give him a of money and tell him: "Go create the most amazing universe, hire the best creators and build something that will last forever".

I wonder if crowdfunding could be an alternative to this idea.

John Byrne has often said that Shooter changed lots of things at Marvel that really needed to be changed. But once that mission was accomplished, he would just change things for no reason to justify his existence.

Oh! If I was rich, I would hire Shooter, give him a of money and tell him: "Go create the most amazing universe, hire the best creators and build something that will last forever".

I wonder if crowdfunding could be an alternative to this idea.

Didn't Shooter try that with the New Universe? :ohnoez:

VEI tried to do exactly that about 5 years ago and it did not work out. Shooter left and went to work on the reboot of the Gold Key properties by Dark Horse (Dark Key) which went nowhere.

I do not know what he has been doing since.

The stories about him leaving VEI were not good. I got the feeling that, like some of the stories about him being the boss at a young age, he did not like taking marching orders from "the children".

The stories about him leaving VEI were not good. I got the feeling that, like some of the stories about him being the boss at a young age, he did not like taking marching orders from "the children".

Almost caught lightning in a bottle twice (I think that is the correct saying). :cry: