• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where do I go to have a meltdown? LCS First World Troubles…

117 posts in this topic

You're in for a sort of long story…

I've been shopping in the same comic store since I was a little kid. I was a slow reader and my dad decided comics might help get me reading when I was 4 or 5 years old. He started taking me to a store that had 4 books for a dollar. I'd just pick random garbage.

A few years passed and I eventually opened a box and continued shopping in the store. I fell in love with comics (obviously) and still get that weird tingly feeling when I walk in those all too familiar doors twenty years later.

However, things have changed. I used to go in and talk to the LCS's wife who ran the counter or my LCS childhood friend who bought silver Marvels off the rack riding his bike from Baltimore City out hitting up all the pharmacies. Those people are gone now though and some younger guys run the store. The conversations just aren't the same nor do they really exist like they used too.

As a modern reader, I try to limit my already large pull box. Then if a review comes out I email them and ask them to pull the issue. I don't hit the store up weekly like I used too as I just don't have the time.

Recently weird things have started happening. Issues I've asked for aren't there or never got pulled for me. Sometimes I won't get a response to my email for a few days. Sometimes they'll say a book is sold out, I'll buy it online with a shipping fee, and then lo and behold it is in my box. They used to always pull me Spider-Man related books because they knew me. That doesn't really happen anymore.

The magic just isn't there anymore… I love going to the store still and I love taking my kids. My son loves going and walks around pointing at all his favorite heroes. It just reminds me so much of the moments I had with my dad.

Outside of that though, I'm getting frustrated. I've been this way for a while and just don't feel a store I've shopped in for 20 years or that I spend around $150 in a month should be frustrating me.

In short, what would you do?

Pretty short story actually.

What do I do? Faint b/c you're spending $150 on moderns a month :doh:

+1 that is a lot of money on Moderns

If they don't care about your business, shop elsewhere.

I used to go to this mexican restaurant for a to go order 3-4 times a week. They started putting me on hold. I would hear them in the background chit chatting while I held for 20 min. Finally I said screw em.

I used to spend $10 a day at a coffeeshop-they treated me like -I stopped going. If you don't want me to spend enough money to buy a new car every 10 years, then later.

Now i make my coffee at home.

Even more reason to go mail order "subscription" since you don't go 1 time a month. And due to the quantity of pulls.

Businesses like TFAW will group them and ship as often as once per week, once every 2 weeks, or 1 per month (as you prefer). There is no extra charge for quantity...So 8-10 pulls per week = 32 to 40 issues shipped 1/month at $5 economy shipping is a good deal. Most places do bag and board and secure things well in nice shipper boxes when you do large quantities (10+ issues).

For me, shipping cost works out to be about the same as driving to the LCS due to insane traffic in DC. (~12 miles takes atleast 30 mins. each way. which is usually over a gallon of gas + parking.) And it's obviously a LOT cheaper than renting a box at the LCS.

If they are missing issues at the LCS, I'd take my business elsewhere. And it sounds like subscription would benefit you. Most subscription issues I get are minty. Ones I get at the LCS are 50% of the time roughly handled. The only draw back is that you will never get your comics the day they are released.

You can still frequent the local LCS with the kids and rifle through their racks like they are a library. And pick up comics for the kids....tleast until you drive them out of business by going mail order.

-T

I did it about 15 years ago. I stopped buying moderns and started putting that money into what I was really interested in buying and reading, silver/bronze comics. Never looked back

Even more reason to go mail order "subscription" since you don't go 1 time a month. And due to the quantity of pulls.

-T

If you're not conveniently close to an LCS, sure. Otherwise, I get a lot of pleasure from going to the store, sorting through copies on the shelf and picking the one that I want. Just getting stuck with whatever I'm sent in the mail - not as much fun. If I didn't have a good LCS nearby I'd just stop reading moderns completely.

I've been shopping in the same comic store since I was a little kid. I was a slow reader and my dad decided comics might help get me reading when I was 4 or 5 years old. He started taking me to a store that had 4 books for a dollar. I'd just pick random garbage.

A few years passed and I eventually opened a box and continued shopping in the store. I fell in love with comics (obviously) and still get that weird tingly feeling when I walk in those all too familiar doors twenty years later.

However, things have changed. I used to go in and talk to the LCS's wife who ran the counter or my LCS childhood friend who bought silver Marvels off the rack riding his bike from Baltimore City out hitting up all the pharmacies. Those people are gone now though and some younger guys run the store. The conversations just aren't the same nor do they really exist like they used too.

As a modern reader, I try to limit my already large pull box. Then if a review comes out I email them and ask them to pull the issue. I don't hit the store up weekly like I used too as I just don't have the time.

Recently weird things have started happening. Issues I've asked for aren't there or never got pulled for me. Sometimes I won't get a response to my email for a few days. Sometimes they'll say a book is sold out, I'll buy it online with a shipping fee, and then lo and behold it is in my box. They used to always pull me Spider-Man related books because they knew me. That doesn't really happen anymore.

The magic just isn't there anymore… I love going to the store still and I love taking my kids. My son loves going and walks around pointing at all his favorite heroes. It just reminds me so much of the moments I had with my dad.

Outside of that though, I'm getting frustrated. I've been this way for a while and just don't feel a store I've shopped in for 20 years or that I spend around $150 in a month should be frustrating me.

You're in Baltimore?

Switch stores to Cards, Comics, and Collectibles in Reisterstown.

There you go, problem solved.

Perhaps a silly question, but have you spoken to the current management about your frustrations? Maybe nothing would come of it - and that would give you an answer right there - but maybe they just aren't clear on what your expectations are, or maybe you are expecting too much from them. Not that I think you ARE expecting too much, it's just that sometimes when you go from a personal relationship with the people in charge to less than that, you might find that the stuff you thought was everyday run-of-the-mill behavior was really your friend going above and beyond.

Just a thought - I had the same sort of thing years ago, friends with the owner, hung out at the shop all the time, etc. Then they shut down, and I ended up buying my books mail-order from another friend rather than go to the remaining local shop that I really didn't care for.

There is absolutely no reason to be spending that much on moderns that you will most likely never pick up and read again.

Online subscription service since you only go once a month + go Marvel Unlimited for the marvel side of things.

I did contact the owner and got a long winded email in return. It didn't really impress me though and is sort of what prompted the post. He was apologetic and appreciative at first. Then he sort of made excuses and told me how to order comics better. It felt like he was putting the blame on me and the way I've done business with him for 5 years that has worked.

There is something magical about taking my son in there though. It might be what keeps me going. He'll never develop a passion for the hobby if I just get boxes every month.

Buzz- I knew when I wrote this you'd respond as you did. I still love moderns and as you can tell I love going to my LCS. The magic is still there and I'm instantly taken back to my old reading chair the minute I sit down at home.

Maybe I'm just due for a trimming of my pull list...

Go tell the owner exactly what you said in this thread.

He'd probably like the chance to keep your business

They may not realize the level of service has been slowly sliding over the years

Edit, I didn't see when I posted that you had already talked to the owner.

I think it's really nice that you carry on the tradition with your son, to bad the LCS doesn't appreciate your business more.

You're in Baltimore?

Switch stores to Cards, Comics, and Collectibles in Reisterstown.

There you go, problem solved.

This. Great store.

I'm actually going to be up that way today for work. I might swing by there if I've got time. Haven't been there in quite awhile.

There's other stores that will take better care of you.

I go into my LCS maybe once every 6 to 8 weeks to pick up my tiny two book pull list. I walk in and am greeted by name, and they always take the time to chat for a while about the comic world, and things that relate to my interests.

Hot Comics and collectables in New Hope MN.

Great store.