• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where do I go to have a meltdown? LCS First World Troubles…

117 posts in this topic

If they don't care about your business, shop elsewhere.

I used to go to this mexican restaurant for a to go order 3-4 times a week. They started putting me on hold. I would hear them in the background chit chatting while I held for 20 min. Finally I said screw em.

I used to spend $10 a day at a coffeeshop-they treated me like -I stopped going. If you don't want me to spend enough money to buy a new car every 10 years, then later.

Now i make my coffee at home.

+1

There is something magical about taking my son in there though. It might be what keeps me going. He'll never develop a passion for the hobby if I just get boxes every month.

That's a cop out. Just because that's how you developed a passion, doesn't mean your son won't be just as passionate about waiting for his box of comics every month. Unboxing feels like Christmas morning, and tbh it will more than likely be how he gets his comics in 15 years. I would not be going back to a shop that put the blame on me for not getting a book when I send $150 a month there - there is too much competition for your hobby dollars out there, sounds like the owner is the one that lost the passion. 2c

There is something magical about taking my son in there though. It might be what keeps me going. He'll never develop a passion for the hobby if I just get boxes every month.

That's a cop out. Just because that's how you developed a passion, doesn't mean your son won't be just as passionate about waiting for his box of comics every month. Unboxing feels like Christmas morning, and tbh it will more than likely be how he gets his comics in 15 years. I would not be going back to a shop that put the blame on me for not getting a book when I send $150 a month there - there is too much competition for your hobby dollars out there, sounds like the owner is the one that lost the passion. 2c

That's probably 'cause he gets his comics out of boxes. :baiting:

Buzz- I knew when I wrote this you'd respond as you did. I still love moderns and as you can tell I love going to my LCS. The magic is still there and I'm instantly taken back to my old reading chair the minute I sit down at home.

Maybe I'm just due for a trimming of my pull list...

If you cut back from $150 to even $50 a month, you could use that money that you are saving to complete your ASM run and upgrade several issues that you have been looking at.

Just sayin'

That's probably 'cause he gets his comics out of boxes. :baiting:

:signfunny:

Why not do a mix of online and LCS purchases?

I've pretty much gotten out of moderns but I used to have a huge list like you. I would get a majority of my books from DCBS at 40-50% off and still keep a handfull of titles in my pull box at the LCS. This way I could still support them and it gave me a reason to stop in and go through back issues.

My favorite thing about ordering online was getting the monthly Previews catalog and going through deciding what to order. It was like being a kid again going through the Wish Book at Christmas time. Maybe that's something you and your son can do together too.

With TFAW and I believe DCBS, I have my monthly pulls that they put aside, correct? Then if I hear good things about a book, can I have them add it to my stack and ship out before the end of the month? Do they ever screw up with monthlies and you not get a copy?

I am guessing that they probably screw something up once in awhile but it is far less than the screwing up you are experiencing right now.

Not sure about TFAW but DCBS is Preorder only. So right now you'd be ordering books for December release. It's been a while but it seems like the cutoff is usually around the 20th of the month. You can edit your order as much as you want before the due date.

I never had an issue getting a book from them. Occasionally, the publisher would cancel something or push the release date back (mainly Image books), but that's not their fault.

I got all my books bagged and boarded and they always came securely shipped and in mint condition.

You're in for a sort of long story…

I've been shopping in the same comic store since I was a little kid. I was a slow reader and my dad decided comics might help get me reading when I was 4 or 5 years old. He started taking me to a store that had 4 books for a dollar. I'd just pick random garbage.

A few years passed and I eventually opened a box and continued shopping in the store. I fell in love with comics (obviously) and still get that weird tingly feeling when I walk in those all too familiar doors twenty years later.

However, things have changed. I used to go in and talk to the LCS's wife who ran the counter or my LCS childhood friend who bought silver Marvels off the rack riding his bike from Baltimore City out hitting up all the pharmacies. Those people are gone now though and some younger guys run the store. The conversations just aren't the same nor do they really exist like they used too.

As a modern reader, I try to limit my already large pull box. Then if a review comes out I email them and ask them to pull the issue. I don't hit the store up weekly like I used too as I just don't have the time.

Recently weird things have started happening. Issues I've asked for aren't there or never got pulled for me. Sometimes I won't get a response to my email for a few days. Sometimes they'll say a book is sold out, I'll buy it online with a shipping fee, and then lo and behold it is in my box. They used to always pull me Spider-Man related books because they knew me. That doesn't really happen anymore.

The magic just isn't there anymore… I love going to the store still and I love taking my kids. My son loves going and walks around pointing at all his favorite heroes. It just reminds me so much of the moments I had with my dad.

Outside of that though, I'm getting frustrated. I've been this way for a while and just don't feel a store I've shopped in for 20 years or that I spend around $150 in a month should be frustrating me.

In short, what would you do?

I think I know which shop you're talking about, and I also shopped there for twenty something years. PM sent tho. :)

I officially closed my box :sorry:

I'm on my way to open a box at a different store tomorrow afternoon.

..and add the previews book to your pulls. Order your comics ahead of time and I'm sure they will give you a discount on the preorders. You should look for a 25% discount. If you order in larger volume then look for a bit more, and this can also get you an advantage with variants if that's your thing. Also when I used to be heavily into moderns the lcs could order books past the deadlines as long as diamond still showed inventory. Way after the online cut off dates. Good luck.

i read through this whole thread and i see you decided to go and just order from an online company. dealing with incompetent or crappy people whom you spend alot of money at their business is a major NO NO.... im glad you decided to ditch the place.

i have a LCS that i've been frequenting for the past 6 months. they are close to my home, and the people are pretty friendly and greet you by your name. i also have a mega comic shop about 20 plus mins away from me. i was going there frequently as well, and one day i decide to try taking a Marvel transformers #80 to sell to them. one of their " experts" basically insulted my comic...

sounds stupid i know, but i decided considering i felt he didn't know jack and the way he looked up the value of the comic was via ebay. i was turned off by them and decided not to do any business with them anymore.

Remember dude your the one forking over the bucks to these comic shops. if they don't please use simply walk...