• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Variant covers

33 posts in this topic

I would never pay extra for a special cover.

In fact, if a comic even offers variants that's a nearly surefire sign that it isn't actually any good. If it offers variants every single issue, or more than one or two variants on the first issue, the odds are also heavily stacked against it being readable.

Not surprised you think this. What are you reading? Indies and Outcast?

I collect variants and ya, it can be pricey. However, I only collect variants for books that are either doing really well on the market i.e. Wytches, Enormous, Batman, etc. OR for books I want to be subbed SS. I think having a sig on a book is nicer on a really sweet cover. I find most standard covers are just, meh, but the variants can be really nice!!!

A picture of the true modern collector. It'll be a shame to see you leave the hobby in a year or two when the price of your stuff tanks... :(

1 - diversify

2 - spend less than what you have. Don't borrow or buy on credit

I don't have my life savings in comics. If a speculated book tanks, tghen it tanks. Doesnt make or break me. besides, 90% of my books are books I bought for myself and not for resale.

I would never pay extra for a special cover.

In fact, if a comic even offers variants that's a nearly surefire sign that it isn't actually any good. If it offers variants every single issue, or more than one or two variants on the first issue, the odds are also heavily stacked against it being readable.

dupont2005, you and I have something in common here. If a comic has a variant that is published in the same ratio as the regular cover, I don't mind. If a comic has a variant that is published in a 1/10 or higher ratio, I just pass on the title these days. Makes it very easy for me to weed out new comics I won't buy.

I can't speak for you, but I only buy indies these days. It's been a while since I've bought a DC or Marvel. I haven't been a fan of superhero titles for probably 10-15 years, so it hasn't been hard to avoid titles with variants.

I'm dreading to find out how Marvel is going to approach variants with Star Wars.

One of the few variant covers I chased in raw and in a 9.8. It wowed me enough that I had to have a 9.8 considering that I do not buy modern slabs.

1287000555.jpg

Did someone just post an Ultimatum cover to give credibility to variants?

I posted a David Finch variant cover of Ultimatum because I think it looks awesome.

What is wrong with that?

What is wrong with Ultimatum? I'm sure you remember ... I try not too...

The quality of the story rarely reflects the quality of the art, and vice-versa. You don't think Ebas sells all those Zenescope books because of the story? I have bought many comics because I like the cover. After all, it is what first attracts a person to the book.

I buy all of the Batman variants, but I do it for the registry set. My LCS does not up charge me like several of the other shops around Dallas.

Where in Dallas do you go? I usually hit up some spots in Duncanville and Arlington and occasionally I can't find the variants I really want.

:hi: howdy from a fellow DFW boardie!

Duncanville is technically my home LCS since I live in the Mansfield area but they are mess for variants. I usually hit Boomerang in Lewisville, Gen X in Bedford orTitan Comics off of 635 in Dallas. Titan and Gen X overprice but have availability especially with con books. Boomerang usually orders variants and has them below inflated prices; often at cost.

Hey Yagyare! Yeah I hit up DBS every week; Andy, Chase and Bryan are awesome guys. Maybe sometime I'll run into you there. And thanks for the heads up on the other stores (thumbs u