• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is it too early to talk about San Diego Comic-Con 2005?

278 posts in this topic

The reservation system has sunk to a new low this year...rooms selling out so quickly, and this year the Marriott Hotel/Marina next door wasn't even on the chart as a choice (yet it is sold out,go figure), is ridiculous. I can still find rooms at all the major hotels via Expedia, hotels.com or Orbitz, so that tells me they didn't block off enough. However, why pay double con rate at the Manchester Hyatt for example...its like being 'scalped' for a hotel room. Even the Hilton across the street still has rooms....at $500+ a night!...Either terrible logistical work by the Con or perhaps a well planned "reward" for participating con rate supplying hotels. Hmmm...Chicago? or, *gasp* Charlotte instead?

That does certainly suck. We should try to stick together as board members, and if one of us has to cancel our reservation (I had to last year), find a way to transfer it to a board member. If that's possible.

There are quite a few Inns that will not take reservations and charge between $35 and $79 per night. I know because I called quite a few, but given the distance I'm travelling, I just can't take the chance of not having the room reserved. Maybe for people who live closer.

If anyone needs to get a room and can't find reservations, I would suggest sharing a room with Greggy.

Be warned that he only has one bed and enjoys spooning. 893whatthe.gif (..and I don't mean the musical kind of spooning.)

I just booked my hotel for $50 a night afew miles away. I dont mind driving 10 mins to save a few hundred bucks over the course of 5 days.

That's fine if you don't mind renting a car or wasting the time and money looking for, and then paying for parking, which is gonna be no picnic. To me, dealing with a car would be one of the biggest pains. I'd rather pay a little more for a hotel and be there close to the con. Lots of advantages to this as once that you are back in your room, it is easy to just go out again maybe for some night time activity or comics event. I'd suggest if any two friends want a close room at this point to then book a more readily available single and rent a cot. Or if no cots are available then just pack a thick blanket to put on the floor and trade off using the bed. Sometimes when the better rooms are sold out ya' just gotta do what ya' just gotta do.

I'm about 4-5 miles from the convention center. I'm driving down to SD, so the distance isn't a problem. I've found the last few years that if I arrive a couple hours early each day I have no problem parking at the convention center, then I take a nice walk and have a big breakfast somewhere. I'm at the Comfort Inn & Suites SD Zoo/Sea World, in a one-bedroom suite with TVs in the both the living room and bedroom for $89 a night. Free parking and free internet connection. A good steak house on the premises, and a movie theatre half a mile away...

sdhotel.jpg

OK - after this Wondercon with a lot more Forumites and my new aim towards DC BA Horror, I think San Diego Con is gonna happen for me. Unfortunately the friend I had in SD got a new job and moved so now I have to hotel it. So I'll be keeping a close eye on the posts and getting the info I need to make the trip a success.

So for now, include me in the SD Dinner. I will be applying for vacation over that weekend to give me time to recover! Thoise time zone differences between San Francisco and San Diego can be murder!

OK - after this Wondercon with a lot more Forumites and my new aim towards DC BA Horror, I think San Diego Con is gonna happen for me. Unfortunately the friend I had in SD got a new job and moved so now I have to hotel it. So I'll be keeping a close eye on the posts and getting the info I need to make the trip a success.

So for now, include me in the SD Dinner. I will be applying for vacation over that weekend to give me time to recover! Thoise time zone differences between San Francisco and San Diego can be murder!

893applaud-thumb.gif

Yippee !!!

Better make a hotel reservation fast before they all fill up! 893whatthe.gif