• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is it too early to talk about San Diego Comic-Con 2005?

278 posts in this topic

I stopped going to Preview Night two years ago when depite getting in line an hour early, it still took about an hour and a half to get in the hall. That equalled a wasted night for me, with only about two hours of convention time and no panels or other activities to attend.

Also, I don't think there are any "great deals" at this convention anymore. No matter what time you attend, you are going to be paying top dollar for the most part. On preview night, it's more like you have the first shot after the dealers have taken what they want from each other. IMHO, the extra few hours in not worth the extra night of a hotel room (not to mention the extra day off from work for those of us that have jobs) and other costs of the tourist trap known as the Gaslight District. Don't worry, there is still plenty to purchase on Thursday through Sunday, provided you have the dollars.

It's true that SD isn't the place to look for a bargain, but I do think preview night is worth attending. I know that I picked up a few books Wednesday night last year that I highly doubt would still have been there thursday.

I'm really looking forward to this year's con, as I do every year. It's one of my happy thoughts when I'm bored at work.

Put it this way, when you enter Thursday morning, you're looking at the leftovers that people passed over the night before.

That may be true, Rob. But from what I know of dealers and cons etc. Leftovers? Just don't see it that way. I have often made tons of excellent buys at excellent discounts on ANY day of a con.

Sometimes the early birds are getting specific books for specific buyers. Such specificity probably will not impact my quest for plain old HG BA Horror.

Sometimes the deals will be in bulk. And the price paid for a box or more of books from one dealer to another at a decent discount - well - when it comes to my individual books I doubt the impact will be anything more than minimal.

But you know what really works at a con? Being friendly. Not being critical over a particular book (at least for my collecting areas). Taking time and building up a decent cache of books form that one dealer. And just asking what is the best they can do.

But the idea that we are getting "leftovers"? I just do not see it, at least for my collecting area.

POV, there will be plenty of books left for your picking.

There may be more selection the first night but you may not necessarily get a great deal.

I'm more interested in finding acceptable books rather than getting a great deal.

However, most of my buying is done on Wednesday and Thursday.

But...your wantlist is probably more comprehensive than mine at this time so you will have plenty of booths to search!

I meant that as a exaggerated word choice to get my point across. I was hoping readers would pick up on the sarcasm. No, I don't think that the convention is full of sloppy seconds from Thursday morning on. smile.gif I just like going Preview Night to ensure I get first dibs on whatever I would otherwise miss out on.

But...your wantlist is probably more comprehensive than mine at this time so you will have plenty of booths to search!

Oh my, yes! I am still compiling Want Lists. I am fully confident I can do as good or even better in SD as I did at this year's Wondercon. While the SD prices may be higher as legend tells, I tend to thinik that 35/40/50 center type BA Horror is still going to be cheap. And those Dollar Comics? Man I want more and more. I really do not like the 100-pagers because the way they bound thgem is not to my personal taste (not a slam on the books at all). But the idea of saddle stitching those dollar books? I really love them! And yes, you WILL get the book you desire from me. I will just find another. But that particular one? Was my first Dollar Comic so has sentimental value. grin.gif

I find great books and great deals every day of the cons. Just like POV, I'm not looking for some ultra rare expensive high grade super-duper book. Just plain old really nice BA books. I find them every day of the con. With a really big show like San Diego I'm even finding new dealers on Sunday that I'd missed on my first four days, or at least a new box that I hadn't checked out before, and I'm on my feet from almost open to close. Although I'll be there buying Wednesday, I'll still find great books on Sunday, I always do.

I find great books and great deals every day of the cons. Just like POV, I'm not looking for some ultra rare expensive high grade super-duper book. Just plain old really nice BA books. I find them every day of the con. With a really big show like San Diego I'm even finding new dealers on Sunday that I'd missed on my first four days, or at least a new box that I hadn't checked out before, and I'm on my feet from almost open to close. Although I'll be there buying Wednesday, I'll still find great books on Sunday, I always do.

I hear that back beat! wink.gif

Again, the concept that everythying worthwhiule will only be available in the preview type time is less accurate than my experience dictates.

I hear that back beat! wink.gif

Again, the concept that everythying worthwhiule will only be available in the preview type time is less accurate than my experience dictates.

Actually POV, there is an added frustration with respect to preview night if you aren't lucky enough to get an exhibitor pass to get in early. Unlike the first year that I attended (2001), they started requiring that all attendees including the US residents line up to get their pass. In 2001 and previous years, US residents had their passes sent to them via the mail in most cases. Therefore, the lines can be excruciating long and it seems that people never get in by the scheduled time. It shouldn't be that bad for you on Friday though!

Actually POV, there is an added frustration with respect to preview night if you aren't lucky enough to get an exhibitor pass to get in early. Unlike the first year that I attended (2001), they started requiring that all attendees including the US residents line up to get their pass. In 2001 and previous years, US residents had their passes sent to them via the mail in most cases. Therefore, the lines can be excruciating long and it seems that people never get in by the scheduled time. It shouldn't be that bad for you on Friday though!

Yeah,I wish they'd offer the option(even if it were an additional fee) to have passes mailed. That line is a major drag.

This has never been a problem for me. I do not get in line until the line starts to move. Once it is moving it does not take too long to grab your pre-registration badge. Later on for Preview night, same thing. Don't even bother to get in the line early. At 5:30 when the doors open is when I get in line, then it takes maybe 15 minutes to get in. I am amazed how much time people waste by getting in line early for these things. Sit back, relax and don't try to save 15 minutes in the con by waiting 1-2 hours in line. Better yet, don't wait in line at all and just walk straight in the door at 6:00. I've been to the last 12 SD cons in a row, outside of the first couple years, lines have never been a problem for me once that I figured all this out.

I need some advice. I am betting that after SD Con my carryon will be too heavy. So what to do?

What have you all done when you cannot control your comics opn a plane because the carryon is too heavy?

I assume ship them? Bring some shipping material with me and ship them back home? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I need some advice. I am betting that after SD Con my carryon will be too heavy. So what to do?

What have you all done when you cannot control your comics opn a plane because the carryon is too heavy?

I assume ship them? Bring some shipping material with me and ship them back home? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yup....I do that every year! gossip.gif Plus, you should be able to get some empty boxes from certain dealers. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

POV, this should be easy. Right in the SD con lobby they have a shipping center where you can buy boxes, shipping material, pay for postage, leave your box and be on your way. I've never used it but I see people there shipping stuff all the time. Probably not cheapo, but after a long day of shopping you can stop by, buy a box (if you can't find one for free) and take care of it all right there. It might be a UPS shop, but I'm not sure specifically.

Outside of this, during the times I have stayed at a nearby hotel, during the middle of the day I have had to make a dropoff at my hotel room where I unload my pack and then go back for more with an empty pack. I bring empty USPS Priority boxes in my suitcase which I fill up with comics for the trip home, but I just leave them in my suitcase, I don't mail them. If it was over the maximum weight limit for baggage on the plane I'd have to take something out and carry it.

bring an extra, emplty duffle back with your luggage etc. You can probably shove all your clothes in the suitcase, leaving a backpack and that duffle bag as carry-ons (still think 2 carry-ons is the limit)

bring an extra, emplty duffle back with your luggage etc. You can probably shove all your clothes in the suitcase, leaving a backpack and that duffle bag as carry-ons (still think 2 carry-ons is the limit)

I was thinking of that too but am concerned about the weight. Will have to check the airline regs on that. My last flight to Boston I had to check one of my carry-ons because it was too heavy.

POV, sounds like you want to do everything (clothes and comics) with a carryon. Bring a dang suitcase. I know they get thrown around, but if you put your comics in a box, with extra padding in the suitcase, then it is fine. I've traveled to over 15 conventions where I flew on a plane with comics safely packed in my suitcase and I've NEVER received any damage on them. OR you can ship them. But it's free in your suitcase.