• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stupid "How to use the forum" questions!!!!!

17 posts in this topic

First, How do you change that little saying under my user name? insane.gif Mine says "Just got here" and I want to change it. 893applaud-thumb.gif Second, is there some kind of registry on this site where a guy can list his collection? confused-smiley-013.gif Do you have to be a Colector Society Member to use it? confused.gif Can I change my pic associated with my name? wink.gif How do you get a pic small enough so the site will accept it? screwy.gif

sign-offtopic.gifAnd now another unrelated question. Why do people take books out of the CGC holder? What is the point of buying them graded or having them graded if your going to take them out? Christo_pull_hair.gifsign-rantpost.gifmakepoint.gifscrewy.gifpoke2.gif

sign-offtopic.gifAnd now another unrelated question. Why do people take books out of the CGC holder? What is the point of buying them graded or having them graded if your going to take them out? Christo_pull_hair.gifsign-rantpost.gifmakepoint.gifscrewy.gifpoke2.gif

Some people see a graded slab as a guarantee of condition, nothing more. They crack em and store them themselves with their raw collection. Books are generally better stored long term using means other than a CGC holder. So a search of this forum on "slab damage" and you'll see one reason why.

So....I'm trying to complete a CGC'd Fury collection. I realize that the value is not there compared to say Uncanny X-Men, but I personally like the "look" of the holders. They are neat and give some protection to the book....or at least I though so!! Apparently I've been misled? crazy.gif Is a CGC collection a dumb idea? screwy.gif Is "raw" in Mylars a better way to go? confused-smiley-013.gif

I'm just trying to rationalize cracking the slab for you. I still wouldn't do it myself. =) I'm comfortable that once the slab gets into my posession, I won't have any serious issues with slab damage. I too like the presentation of it, especially with the newer label design.

Also, for some the slab is a guarantee that a book isn't restored. I might want an ASM #1 for my raw collection in the 7.0 range, but I want to make sure what I'm getting is what I want it to be. Not restored, and not a 6.5, because thats hundreds of $$$ difference. That IS something I'd do, and probably will do when I get to buying the single-digit Spideys.

Apparently I've been misled? Is a CGC collection a dumb idea? Is "raw" in Mylars a better way to go?

Depends on who you talk to.

If you plan on selling your books, slabbed books usually (I'm talking HG here) sell for more than their raw counterparts.

Some people just don't like the slab, but want the assurance that the book is said grade and is unrestored. That (the resto-check) is the biggest "CGC advantage" for a buyer of books.

I don't know what your experience w/ eBay is, but there are a ton of terrible (re: over) graders on eBay. Buying a slabbed book protects the buyer (maybe not their wallet) from buying a "NM" and getting a "VF".

I have bought quite a few books on ebay. Some were lower than the grade advertised, of course. But, I remember one set of books(late 70's) I got. The seller graded VF+ and when I got them I thought at LEAST 9.2 on all of them. One (on it's way to CGC right now) I thought might be a 9.8...I guess I'll find out!!!! thumbsup2.gif Do you thinks a CGC collection is the way to go for A "keeper" collection? I have about 30 graded books so far (8.5 and up, mostly 9.2, some Mile High II ped.) and my goal was a CGC Full run of Fury's. Bad Idea? Good Gaol? Thoughts?

By the way... does anyone know where I can find more info on the Mile High II pedigree? Do you know anything obout it? headbang.gif

By the way... does anyone know where I can find more info on the Mile High II pedigree? Do you know anything obout it?

You will find everything you've ever wanted to know about the MH2 Collection (and more) here:

Tales From the Database

Just scroll down and let Chuckles recant the legend. Be sure to have your salt handy. wink.gif

The Mile High II tale is one of Chuck's best. If only 20% of it is true, it's still a hell of a story. However, it's not even close to being a pedigree, on any level except perhaps condition.

As for the CGC Registry, they don't currently have a registry for Sgt. Fury, and I would guess that it's not high on their list of imminent additions. I too am a Fury fan, but there are less of us than there are Tales To Astonish nuts, just to put things in perspective.

There are plenty of reasons to 'unslab' a book - probably as many reasons to do so as there are reasons to keep the book in the slab. As just one example, last I heard CGC was still recommending that the micro-chamber paper within the slabs be replaced every 7 years. Now that sounds like a long time, but do you really want to be "re-submitting" your run of Furys a few years from now?

Add to this the fact that getting a Sgt. Fury #36 in VF slabbed will cost you more than the book is worth. When you're ready to sell, the slabbed copy will sell for perhaps 40-70% more than an unslabbed copy in the same condition...but that still won't offset the cost of slabbing it in the first place.

I hear ya man... but I'd respond by asking "what does the 'love of Fury' have to do with getting 'em slabbed?" Are you planning to hang 'em on the walls? Have you considered the fact that, given the lengthy 'want list' you've posted in your sig, you might be better off foregoing the slabs and saving up for some of those early issues? For the cost of slabbing 10 issues, you could get a Sgt. Fury # 2 in pretty nice shape... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif