• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hellblazer #27

11 posts in this topic

060-2.jpg

I just sold a copy, and had a chance to pull it out of the box and look it over again for the first time in a while. This book has always held a special place in my heart. As we approach its 25th anniversary, I've always felt this was an underrated gem that not many are aware of.

I never cared much for Delano's run...too much wandering, too much unresolved plotlines, he was just trying too hard to be Alan Moore, and failing.

But, along comes Gaiman and McKean to do a special guest shot (after a 2 issue guest shot by Morrison), and you have this neat little ghost story that I suppose is perfect for this time of year. The McKean art compliments it perfectly.

In the "every time you look, you see something new" category (a specialty of McKean's), despite owning copies for nearly 25 years, today was the very first time that I noticed that the scratch marks at the top of the cover are actually figures who are part of the story. Cool. Never noticed it before.

I won't spoil it by revealing the details, but suffice it to say...if you haven't read it, do yourself a favor and find a copy and do so.

One of my dreams is to get a 9.8 signed by Gaiman and McKean. Let's hope.

You have piqued my curiosity! I was first introduced to the character last year during a journal posting and following discussion about Swamp Thing and a character from Alan Moore who's looks were based loosely on the likeness of rocker Sting. I'll get to this character, and this issue you recommend sooner than later!

I remember having to hunt and hunt for this book back when I put my first complete run together (about 15 years ago). It has always been a popular issue. Now that I'm trying to rebuild the run, I'd like to get my hands on another one, but this one always seems to be missing in runs, shops, collections. Great book!

Just adding my opinion to the crowd, HB27 is a must read :golf clap:

Gaiman wrote just one issue in a 300 issue run. If you polled everyone that read the entire run, this issue would be in every "top 5 best issues list." To anyone that is looking to pick up an issue of this comic because of this thread, if you haven't also read SANDMAN that should be on your list next. :makepoint:

Just adding my opinion to the crowd, HB27 is a must read :golf clap:

Gaiman wrote just one issue in a 300 issue run. If you polled everyone that read the entire run, this issue would be in every "top 5 best issues list." To anyone that is looking to pick up an issue of this comic because of this thread, if you haven't also read SANDMAN that should be on your list next. :makepoint:

:applause:

I'd say #27 is the single best John Constantine story ever written.

And I'm not exaggerating for effect. Gaiman nails the character as only Alan Moore could, and Constantine was never the focus in a Moore story.

One of my favorite lines from the book was the sperm bank comment. As reference towards Swamp Thing and Abby's child. Neil is and always will be on another level. As Notsonice mentioned, one single issue, and blew it out the water.