• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Northland Hulk 1

105 posts in this topic

So the Northland Hulk 1 apparently sold immediately after it was listed on Comiclink. For a price 30,000 dollars higher than the same-grade Bethlehem copy. Hulk 1

So... the question.. do we think the sale is real or an attempt at artifically inflating the price?

Brian

So the Northland Hulk 1 apparently sold immediately after it was listed on Comiclink. For a price 30,000 dollars higher than the same-grade Bethlehem copy. Hulk 1

So... the question.. do we think the sale is real or an attempt at artifically inflating the price?

Brian

Isn't this Doug's copy, that he had listed in the Vault for $100K? Was there some sort of reconciliation between him and Josh, and was selling the IH 1 on Comiclink part of the deal?

I'm tired of seeing bogeymen behind every bush, so I'm going to assume it's for real. Anyways, a mind-blowing price, but this has got to be the rarest major Marvel key in high grade, so I guess it was worth it to somebody. Boy, won't the buyer be bummed when a second 9.4 copy of IH 1 appears?

Nice 9.2 as it doesn't have any Marvel chips on front cover. Probably glossy in person. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Yeah, great QP for an early SA Marvel, no Marvel chipping and the colors on the cover look deep and full. What is making everyone think it's such a fugly 9.2, the wear on the ULC and LLC?

The book is still listed on Doug's site for $100,000? I don't get it?

so much for the "Doug and Josh made up" theory! If they were working together, it would be off Pedigree by now. I wrote on STLComics the following in response to a flurry of disbelief and accusations this was a fake sale: (Im quoting it so I dont have to retype it!)

"I dont understand the deep need to believe that there arent a handful of buyers at these levels! Why does it have to be "fake"? There are plenty of big sales and deals that stay private.... but whenever one is made public, all the conspiracy theoreys take over. Dont you think a Hulk#1 in 9.2 is worth more than the 52K a copy sold for a few years ago, before the movie, and after 2 years of NO new slabbed copies turning up above 9.0? Isnt it still the rarest (above 9.0) earliest Marvel key? The only negative against this sale I can add is that it looks more like a 9.0 not a 9.2 with those corners. But I have no trouble believing a buyer came forward for this copy..."

The book is still listed on Doug's site for $100,000? I don't get it?

so much for the "Doug and Josh made up" theory! If they were working together, it would be off Pedigree by now.

Maybe this is a jab at Doug by Josh in an attempt to undermine him somehow? Do we know how Doug initally acquired this book, through Comiclink perhaps? How may fans do you think Josh would have got if he came on these boards and welcomed Doug into the world of dealers rather than pull some bogus lawsuit on him. I have to admit I haven't viewed the Link as often ever since this all came to light. There is enough business to go around for everyone.

I think youre thinking about this too hard. Have you dealt with either of these guys? Do you actually believe one of the other would put up a fake sale just to tweak the other? I dont. There are lots of possible explanations for the quickness of the sale... or why the book appears on both sites. Surfer youre an experienced collector and, I believe, operate on these HG levels right? Are you really so suspicious?

I think youre thinking about this too hard. Have you dealt with either of these guys? Do you actually believe one of the other would put up a fake sale just to tweak the other? I dont. There are lots of possible explanations for the quickness of the sale... or why the book appears on both sites. Surfer youre an experienced collector and, I believe, operate on these HG levels right? Are you really so suspicious?

Actually I have dealt with both and maybe its just wild speculation on my part but given the lawsuit issue that surfaced on these boards recently this is odd is it not? I guess if the book stays on Pedigree's site it will raise more questions than answers. confused-smiley-013.gif

Schmell reported to the Overstreet Comic Price Review in the December 2004 issue that he traded his entire Hulk 1 to 6 run to a collector; it's featured on the cover of the issue. He says he got $75,000 in trade for the Hulk 1, although it's hard to verify the accuracy of that without knowing the other comics and cash involved in the trade.

Looks like that "collector" may have flipped it rather fast!!! 893whatthe.gif

Looks like a pretty decent flip. Of course Doug states that he got $75,000 in trade, but that doesn't mean the first buyer had $75,000 into his books (could have been more or less).

Regarding Doug and Josh, I don't believe they have made up or are working together at this time.

Regarding why the book is still on Doug's site? Probably because he forgot to remove it from the VAULT. Doug like Josh, takes a very long time to remove books that have been sold from their sites. Doug told me the system automatically removes sold books once he does something (I think sends the seller an email that the book has been shipped).

In either case, I really believe that Doug and Josh like to show SALE PENDING books on their site for extended periods of time because it shows that books are selling on their sites and usually for above market value prices. I kind of like that because when a similar book shows up on their site I can see their last sale.

Nice 9.2 as it doesn't have any Marvel chips on front cover. Probably glossy in person. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Yeah, great QP for an early SA Marvel, no Marvel chipping and the colors on the cover look deep and full. What is making everyone think it's such a fugly 9.2, the wear on the ULC and LLC?

Precisely........along with some very small spine nicks. i can live with the grade but i would've guessed a 9.0. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Looks like a pretty decent flip. Of course Doug states that he got $75,000 in trade, but that doesn't mean the first buyer had $75,000 into his books (could have been more or less).

Regarding Doug and Josh, I don't believe they have made up or are working together at this time.

Regarding why the book is still on Doug's site? Probably because he forgot to remove it from the VAULT. Doug like Josh, takes a very long time to remove books that have been sold from their sites. Doug told me the system automatically removes sold books once he does something (I think sends the seller an email that the book has been shipped).

In either case, I really believe that Doug and Josh like to show SALE PENDING books on their site for extended periods of time because it shows that books are selling on their sites and usually for above market value prices. I kind of like that because when a similar book shows up on their site I can see their last sale.

well i understand the confusion that's been created as the "Vault" makes no mention of the fact that the book was "sold" before, yet there are other vault books that have been sold and are so indicated.

i can certainly understand why the book is still there (as per sifilosa's explanation), but how would anyone know looking at the site that the book is no longer available.

and having it listed as available on Pedigree after it's already been sold and then resold by Comiclink seems dumb..........IMHO.

well i understand the confusion that's been created as the "Vault" makes no mention of the fact that the book was "sold" before, yet there are other vault books that have been sold and are so indicated. i can certainly understand why the book is still there (as per sifilosa's explanation), but how would anyone know looking at the site that the book is no longer available.

and having it listed as available on Pedigree after it's already been sold and then resold by Comiclink seems dumb..........IMHO.

Comiclink has 2 employees, and is slow to update their Sales Pending. Doug is only Doug! So if a book isnt updated asap it sure makes sense to me. Pedigree's Vault page is a special entity anyway, not subject to any other internet comics offerings. Hasnt Doug stated that these books were his showcase of keepers? That he just wanted to share them wiht us so we could get a glimpse of (near) perfection of his legendary collection? He put crazy prices on them so that if anyone wanted to pay them, he would consider selling them. Course, its obvious now that he was willing to sell them for far less in some cases for whatever reason. ANyway, he hasnt taken the Hulk#1 down yet, and never took it down after it sold last time. But its still listed at 20K MORE than either of its recent sales (flips?) so perhaps this way (unless the new buyer asks him to remove it) someday Doug can call the owner and offer him a profit. Why not advertise it even if its not technically for sale right now?