• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First there was Gotham, now there is RIVERDALE

51 posts in this topic

"'Riverdale' offers a bold, subversive take on Archie, Betty, Veronica, and their friends, exploring the surrealistic twists of small-town life plus the darkness and weirdness bubbling beneath Riverdale’s wholesome facade,"...

Sounds like "Dexter: The Wonder Years".

The best thing about this is that if it's successful and runs a few years, but ratings start to sag, BRING ON THE ZOMBIES!

:headbang::headbang::headbang: HELLS YEA!

I could have sworn there was some mention of an Archie Afterlife movie. Anybody see any more info around this?

This show better spiral into Afterlife with Archie

that would be the obvious implication of the description.

It sounds more like an update of the Archie's Weird Mysteries show. Think Scooby Doo, but the monsters are real.

Can anybody name one live-action show produced by the cable or mainstream networks that has this general celebration of "wholesomeness?

Maybe there should be. I know we're never going to go back to the kind of TV shown in the 60s and early 70s, but I wouldn't mind seeing some shows made that are more like those old sitcoms and dramas

The beauty of Riverdale was that it's wholesomeness was genuine. Presenting it as a facade makes it like every other town on the planet. Ho-hum.

Totally agree.

Agreed.

The beauty of Riverdale was that it's wholesomeness was genuine. Presenting it as a facade makes it like every other town on the planet. Ho-hum.

Totally agree.

Agreed.

+1

Although I could go for something quirky like Northern

Exposure.

Can anybody name one live-action show produced by the cable or mainstream networks that has this general celebration of "wholesomeness?

Maybe there should be. I know we're never going to go back to the kind of TV shown in the 60s and early 70s, but I wouldn't mind seeing some shows made that are more like those old sitcoms and dramas

Archie could be done as a 1950s/60s era comedy with a focus toward pre-sexual-revolution teenage relationships.

Use exceptionally sharp witty writing to anchor its charm. Sort of a 'Dobie Gillis' for today's gen. Done smartly and well it would find its demographic. Probably a fairly wide ranging one.

dobie11.jpg

I agree with you, but it would be very hard for modern audiences after being exposed to top shows like Dexter,The Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones and Penny Dreadful.

Remember we are talking Riverdale in Fox primetime, and not Saturday morning.

The days of the Beaver are long gone.

Archie could be done as a 1950s/60s era comedy with a focus toward pre-sexual-revolution teenage relationships.

Use exceptionally sharp witty writing to anchor its charm. Sort of a 'Dobie Gillis' for today's gen. Done smartly and well it would find its demographic. Probably a fairly wide ranging one.

dobie11.jpg

Dobie was a great show, but they will probably go for the safe pick.

A modern combination of

and

I recommend any Archie fan to watch Starship Troopers. It's essentially "Archie goes to war". There's an almost exact one-to-one correlation between each of the characters in the movie to a character in Archie comics. Quite a hoot.

I think this is excellent news. I love how Archie Comics is taking bold steps.

The TV show is being written by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa, who is the writer of both Afterlife with Archie and Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. Those have both been excellent. I'm definitely on board.