• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What if I Quit?

9 posts in this topic

Or another one year challenge???

Somehow, someway I began collecting comic books, along with so many other things throughout the years. My father collected nothing at all. As an adult my collection grew while my father would throw anything out without hesitation, even birthday cards. One year, after giving him a card, he handed it back to me.

"It's nice," he said. "Give it again to me next year."

He never got it again next year. I probably filed it away on one of my comic book boxes or possibly the glove box in my car, but the following year I purchased another card. It was in the trash five minutes later. So why do I collect?

I didn't start collecting with the mindset that they would be worth something one day. And I might not have the time to read a comic book more than once like I used to. Maybe, when I'm older I'll revisit the stories I read now, or maybe they might make their way into the trash pile.

At times I wonder, what if I quit? Would I be able too? Could I give up my weekly soap operas? Is it possible one day I might leave these "childish" things behind. Could for one year, I never pick up a comic book, graded or otherwise? Could my collecting desires change to something a bit more practical, like money?

The fact is, I can't quit. It's not so much as an addiction as it is a happy place. For five years I didn't pick up a comic book. I financially couldn't afford it. I don't plan on putting myself in that situation again, but for next year I hope I can curb my spending expenditures. So do I give up CGC? Or weekly books? But, only for one year.

Thanks for Reading

Tnerb

16021.jpg

See more journals by Tnerb

Don't give up your weeklies - there is so much good stuff to read coming out right now. I look forward to Wednesday every week - for Image, IDW, for BOOM! and Dynamite! and even for DC & Marvel.

Enjoy the reading - remember why you love comics - the art and the stories and the community of fellow readers & collectors.

CGC will still be here in a year.

Lee K

My spending is a fair bit lower this year than last year, a couple thousand less, and I'm sure it's due to my taking a year off of signature series. The signing and grading fees add up. I picked up a lot of great books, including a grail (Hulk #1) and still spent less than last year since I laid off signings. Knowing your pursuit of signatures that may not work for you, but you might consider trying to save some there. It adds up.

Been at this hobby for almost 40 years myself Lee ... so many stops and restarts also, some lasting even longer than 5 years. So many different iterations also on what one can do, scalable based on budgets/ priorities which is just great .... and as noted by Lee K, CGC will still be here in a year bro.

What If?... you choose to give up CGC's and that ever elusive CGC book that you've been looking for years comes up for sale? What will you do then? Will you allow yourself to miss out on getting that elusive book just because you challenged yourself to stop buying CGC's for a year when you might not have really needed to? What are you really getting out ofthe challenge?

Why give up either CGC's or the Weekly's if you don't need to?

Wait and make decision when the need arises.... not just to challenge yourself to limit your spending...

As you say, it is a happy place. As such it needs NO reason or justification. Buy what you can and don't worry about the rest. The only thing that's really important is that you get enjoyment from the hobby.