• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sealing comics in a foodsaver bag, good idea?

9 posts in this topic

Okay, so I've been thinking. Has anyone ever vacummed their comics in a foodsaver bags to suck out the air, and do you think it would perserve the comic. I once came across an auction on ebay where the seller was selling comics that had been stored in plastics with the air vacummed out. These comics where from the 70's, well, anyways he had high grade comics. I think some of them where the wolverine mini series that were graded 9.8's, I don't remember all the titles, but they were a bunch.

Some of you might know this story. His story was that he use to give kids like a quarter to get him comics, I forgot why he did this. Well, one day, these kids kept bringing him comics that were in sealed tight in plactic bags. He was amazed in the condition they were in, so to make the story short he told the kids where did they buy the comics, and bought all the comics sealed in bags off the person selling them. Once in a while he opens some up to submit to be graded, and they grade in 9.6 area and up. So do you think thats a good idea?

I guess in theory it sounds possible....

But before I tried it I would find out a few things first..

What kind of material are the food bags made of?

Does it warp the comic when you suck out the air out?

Is it SAFE to keep a comic in a 100% sealed enviroment for years?.. that will not allow it to breath?

I have seen those 3 comic poly bags from years ago that do not seem to show any ill effects from being in the bag all those years..

Seems like the Seal a Meal has recieved some good pub on this board this week on a few different threads..

Perhaps they can come out with a Special Seal a Comic system attachment for the device.

Set includes 25 10 mil stiff Mylar boards to use as backing boards

A 50 foot roll of 4 mill Mylar for creating custom comic bags sizes.

And Special labels to seal inside with your comic.. wink.gif

Ze-

reynoldJay

Yes. I've bought a few of them.

Not quite as nice as he states they are, but still pretty nice looking books.

I bought about 10 of them that were stated in NM/M, and the worst one was NM-.

The rest were NM to NM+.

I opened them all up, and they were not really vacuum sealed.

They may have been at one time, but they definately were not when I got them.

His books are not bad. Definately not the worst deal I've had on eBay. yeahok.gif

I believe they did all have white pages, I think he also had the highest graded copy of Captain Canuck 1. He wanted a lot for that comics I remember. If you watch the Foodsaver paid TV program, they talk about sealing comics with it. It does look safe.

Dicex are you sure he stated the comics you bought were sealed because I think he only had a few, and the ones he were selling were graded.

Dicex are you sure he stated the comics you bought were sealed because I think he only had a few, and the ones he were selling were graded.

reynoldJay has more than a "few" of these.

He sells them raw, and some that he's had graded.

I think he's been selling his "limited" supply of these for several years now.

He must have millions of them.

No, I don't believe the story he tells about the books.

But I can't complain. Like I said, they aren't the worst deals on eBay.

I would not suggest completely removing all air from a comic. There have been threads about "stewing." I think that a book or any form of document should have contact with some air. Earning my 2nd Chemical Engineering degree, I'd say that being vacuum sealed would in time be more harmful than leaving a book unbagged at all (if you could still keep it flat in the open air).

Now don't forget, they weren't just sealed, they were kept frozen too smirk.gif

Read the whole description in this auction

FROZEN!?!?? 893whatthe.gif

No no no. I wouldn't touch these books. There's gotta be something wrong here. Either the seller is full of shiznit or something else is wrong. First off, I don't see how vacuum sealing doesn't hurt a comic. It's really the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard (see my last post above).

And, I don't care if it's completely vacuum sealed with no air or moisture what so ever in the "bag".... if it has been "frozen" there's going to be some accumulation or condensation inside the package. And then "thawing" a comic book? Wow. No Thanks! screwy.gif