• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ridiculous Detective 1

43 posts in this topic

I have to agree with Ian here. Basically the only salvagable parts of the book are the centerfold wraps, as the outer two wraps are missing, the back cover is missing, and the front cover is so FUBARed by the tape that I can't even see a master restorer attempting to fix it.

And yet it goes for half the good price at $4000? WTF? CentaurMan said he paid $7000 for his 6.0 EP Restored copy!

What the hell has this hobby come to? screwy.gif

the front cover is so FUBARed by the tape that I can't even see a master restorer attempting to fix it.

When I looked at the first picture I thought the cover was being held on by tin foil becuase of the way the light refelected. tongue.gif

I have to agree with Ian here. Basically the only salvagable parts of the book are the centerfold wraps, as the outer two wraps are missing, the back cover is missing, and the front cover is so FUBARed by the tape that I can't even see a master restorer attempting to fix it.

And yet it goes for half the good price at $4000? WTF? CentaurMan said he paid $7000 for his 6.0 EP Restored copy!

What the hell has this hobby come to? screwy.gif

I'll bet Win would get more than $7K if he sold it now, though.

Ian, why don't you contact the buyer and ask him if you can buy the missing page that you need. Offer him cash and a facsimile copy, plus whatever other throw-ins you think you'd need to make a deal.

amateur restoration

Absolute kiss of death in this marketplace.

And I have still never understood why people would rather have a comic that looks like a piece of than have a comic that looks aesthetically pleasing to the eye and is complete, purely because they know it to be restored to improve both its look and its longevity.

This WILL eventually change.

And I have still never understood why people would rather have a comic that looks like a piece of than have a comic that looks aesthetically pleasing to the eye and is complete, purely because they know it to be restored to improve both its look and its longevity.

Not all of us hate the PLOD! I'd WAY rather have a solid copy without tape, large missing pieces, glue, etc. even if it meant that someone had sealed some tears and reinforced the book!

Hey Ian you never write, you never call! frown.gif

Shawn

I dunno ... he did crack it out of the slab. 893applaud-thumb.gif (Now if we can only get him to crack that All American #16 .... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif )

I will admit, though, that he would have a much easier time selling it to someone in person. The scan of that his #1 just doesn't do it justice ... it is a gorgeous book!

amateur restoration

Absolute kiss of death in this marketplace.

Restoration itself is not the problem, the problem is due to restored books having been sold as unrestored (full value) and buyers have been burned. Now all restored books carry this burden. I myself will buy certain Golden Age restored any day of the week, if the price is right. There are only a very few Silver Age Keys I would ever consider, and the restoration would have to be Slight at that.

I myself will buy certain Golden Age restored any day of the week, if the price is right. There are only a very few Silver Age Keys I would ever consider, and the restoration would have to be Slight at that

I think this will always be the case for many collectors. The difference being that with SA you have the choice betwen buying restored or not for a given book at any time. With much GA, insisting on restoration free books can prolong a search for years, especially if you are looking for mid/high grade stuff.

Why is the page showing through the hole in the cover Page Three, and not Page One ???

The more I study the scan, the more convinced I am that the first page is missing as well as the last.

Anyone know the buyer ????

The buyer is a sports memorabilia dealer. Nuff said. tongue.gif Actually they often don't know what they are doing when they enter other hobbys, especially comics.

I dunno ... he did crack it out of the slab. 893applaud-thumb.gif (Now if we can only get him to crack that All American #16 .... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif )

I will admit, though, that he would have a much easier time selling it to someone in person. The scan of that his #1 just doesn't do it justice ... it is a gorgeous book!

Like Beetlejuice, you only need to say my name 3 times for me to appear (although you're low on the price I paid by $2k). Here's the scan:

Detective%201%20Front.jpg

Extensive resto, but the work is all confined to the spine, which was rotting out. I've looked it over extremely carefully and can't detect any work beyond the spine area. I'm thrilled to have it, and I'm happy to show it off. If you're ever in Chicago and want to thumb through an original 'Tec 1, just let me know.

Like Beetlejuice, you only need to say my name 3 times for me to appear (although you're low on the price I paid by $2k). Here's the scan:

Detective%201%20Front.jpg

Extensive resto, but the work is all confined to the spine, which was rotting out. I've looked it over extremely carefully and can't detect any work beyond the spine area. I'm thrilled to have it, and I'm happy to show it off. If you're ever in Chicago and want to thumb through an original 'Tec 1, just let me know.

hail.gif

First the Church copy of FANTASTIC #3 in the GA forums, and now this...

Unbelievable...

Like Beetlejuice, you only need to say my name 3 times for me to appear

Figured we could talk about you behind your back while you weren't around and all .... grin.gif

(although you're low on the price I paid by $2k)

Well, a nine can look like a seven if written sloppily.

Or something.

I need alcohol.

Go answer your email, Win. grin.gifgrin.gif

If they were Golden Age keys from DC, yep, you were. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

So why couldn't I get more than two thousand for my spare More Fun 53, the origin of the Spectre, which had some amateur restoration but looked nice and is complete ????

Harley still has it and hasn't sold it.

Ian, is this your old MF #53? If so, I see why it hasn't been sold! That book is a "Frankenbook" and has extensive resto! It looks as if it were removed from a trimmed bound volume.

Linky-poo

That's a pretty rough book.

Ian, is this your old MF #53? If so, I see why it hasn't been sold! That book is a "Frankenbook" and has extensive resto! It looks as if it were removed from a trimmed bound volume.

Indeed, it WAS removed from a trimmed bound volume. But it's still a complete More Fun 53, key issue, origin of the Spectre, the page quality is excellent apart from the trimming, and it's worth way more than two thousand bucks. It cost me more than that anyway.

I have to say I agree with you. That is one of the ugliest books that I have seen in a long time. WTF is the world coming to when someone pays over $4000 for that piece of [#@$%!!!].That copy of Detective 1 makes the fugly Action 1 that everyone is always talking about look Gem Mint. devil.gif