• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Insuring Comic Collection in Canada

12 posts in this topic

Can any fellow Canadians recommend a company that insures their comic specific collections on a separate policy?

I think Chubb does but is there any other company in Canada like CIS does in the USA?

Thanks in advance.

This comes up all the time. It quickly leads to no answer and responses like move to the US. I hope this time we can find an answer :wishluck:

I have a small "Contents" policy. It basically includes everyday items (furniture, electronics, etc.) as well as comic books. I have yet to find one that is comic books only.

Without getting too personal does the small "contents" cover the extent of your collection? Most I have found only cover portion or a maximum of X (which is normally $5,000).

I have a small "Contents" policy. It basically includes everyday items (furniture, electronics, etc.) as well as comic books. I have yet to find one that is comic books only.

Without getting too personal does the small "contents" cover the extent of your collection? Most I have found only cover portion or a maximum of X (which is normally $5,000).

No, but I don't have a lot in my place. Most of it is in storage which is covered differently. The big books I have are mostly CGC'd so I have a serial number if it gets damaged or missing. The onus would be on me to prove that I had the value in the first place.

I am not sure about Coachman. If I remember correctly when I got my tenants insurance they said I could have a separate policy for collectibles or increase the rate under the hobby collections section.

In BC, you can get renters insurance through BCAA - I have spoken to them in depth about collectables and insuring them as well. By Default, you get $1000 of insurance with renters insurance on any collection.

However, if you can get your collection appraised, they will offer additional insurance (obviously at an add-on rate) for it.

I know one comic shop in the BC area that will give a professional appraisal on a comic collection as I intend on doing this with my Amazing Spider-man collection soon.

AXA insurance will insure your collectibles seperately than anything else. A couple grand for a quarter million dollar policy (give or take). It's about a hundred bucks for every 10k if I remember correctly, but I've been doing it for 20 years so maybe I get a better rate (I have no idea)

Jim

AXA insurance will insure your collectibles seperately than anything else. A couple grand for a quarter million dollar policy (give or take). It's about a hundred bucks for every 10k if I remember correctly, but I've been doing it for 20 years so maybe I get a better rate (I have no idea)

Jim

$100 a year or month? Does it cover shipping (ie do you have to buy postal insurance or long as you can prove delivery via signature you are covered)? Ever had to make a claim?

I (worship) your wisdom.