• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THOR: RAGNAROK official thread (7/28/2017)
5 5

896 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, CBT said:

One positive thing for Ragnarok, the week Star Wars came out (Week 7), it only fell by $210 per theatre.  So it's audience per screening barely budged, despite the biggest movie of the year coming out.

Now, it was shown in 1,152 LESS theatres, but the income PER matters for hanging around longer.

Another interesting note, while dropping 1,152 theatres is a lot, Guardians actually dropped more, or 1,371 theatres, from week 6 to 7. (Though it was making significantly more per theatre, it took about two weeks longer to settle in to a stable amount per)

Addressed already what is taking place, without Marvel shades on.

21 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

By Week 5 when Disney had 3,148 theaters dedicated to Ragnarok, the weekly run rate had dipped to an average of $750K/daily. By Week 7, it is maintaining 1,895 theaters and the weekday average is $450K/day.

Guardians 2 by Week 5 was 3,871 theaters dedicated, and by Week 7 held at 1,813. But the average weekday for Guardians by Week 7 was $750K/day.

So where Guardians had a higher theater distribution early on, Disney is trying to keep a higher theater count in the later weeks for Ragnarok. That is where it is trying to break past $850M.

Disney is using theater volume to move the needle forward because with Ragnarok (IMHO, the better movie) is making less-per-theater than what Guardians 2 did at this stage. So where it could count on higher per-theater with Guardians 2, instead it is holding onto additional theaters in order to get to the same place.

WB did the same thing with Wonder Woman when it realized the repeat viewing and word-of-mouth was leading to so much domestic business. It's the international market it had to recognize certain markets did not care for a female-led superhero movie. It's just with WB, we never heard of legal games to force theaters to keep movies longer. But it came out recently how Disney handles such activities.

Disney has an impressive list of demands for theaters who want to show 'The Last Jedi'

The contract to run the latest Star Wars film, which lands everywhere in just six weeks, also ups Disney's take to 70% if the theater puts a foot wrong on a number of counts, according to a Wall Street Journal report. 

Go Disney!

Edited by Bosco685

Sorry if this is a thread Krap, as recent discussion is mostly movie industry business analysis, but as far as the movie itself goes, I was very disappointed. I haven't seen every Marvel Studios movie (Iron Man 3 and GOTG 2 are the ones I have missed), but to my taste this was the worst by far.

I felt like in many spots the scenes seemed more like outtakes. Hemsworth and Hiddleston had trouble staying in character, it seemed, and most of the others didn't seem to give a thought to trying to convince anyone they were Norse gods. Too much weak humor, an un-Thor-like Thor (I had thought Hemsworth did a great job in all previous efforts). The don't cut my hair crybaby was silly. The Grandmaster was also far from a cosmic Elder, too.

Then there's the gunplay among gods . These are Superbeings. Guns are ordinary. Save it for Punisher movies. Watching the Executioner fend off Asgardian zombies with two AR's instead of wading through them with a battle axe and super strength????

At parts it felt too much like another Star Wars flick, with Ray guns and spaceships. There should have been a massive wooden sailing ship that flew.

Rather than carve a unique mythology, this felt like a mash-up of other non-Marvel franchises. 

I saw it as bland and offkey; anyone else got a different prism that maybe I could look through? At this point, Thor is the first Avenger I'm ready to see retired from the Marvel cinematic universe.

50 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

Sorry if this is a thread Krap, as recent discussion is mostly movie industry business analysis, but as far as the movie itself goes, I was very disappointed. I haven't seen every Marvel Studios movie (Iron Man 3 and GOTG 2 are the ones I have missed), but to my taste this was the worst by far.

Not thread carping at all. It still relates to the movie.

Sorry you didn't enjoy the movie. I liked it. But the first Thor movie is still my favorite. It had so much of the early characters, and Thor learning his place in the Marvel Universe.

I just remembered something about the movie that I wanted to ask here.  I saw the movie twice and I am pretty sure I heard Thor (Hemsworth) say some thing like "I'm looking for me mate" which is something an Aussie would say, NOT an Asgardian.   I can't remember the scene exactly (it was on Sakaar) or who he was talking about (I think he was talking about looking for Banner but I'm not sure). Did anyone else hear that or am I wrong?

I think Taika allowed the improv to be loose and free on the set but to allow a "...me mate..." into the dialogue is unforgivable.

'Thor: Ragnarok' VFX Behind-The-Scenes Video Released

Thor Ragnarok VFX submission video

Thor: Ragnarok was a standout film in the visual effects department, so much so that ComicBook.com nominated the film for a Golden Issue Award, and a new video gives fans a hint at just how those dazzling special effects were made. The video above shows some scenes from Thor: Ragnarok with a before and after slider that reveals just how much special effects work went into bringing these alien landscapes and mythical battles to life.

It really is impressive how much goes into these big-budget films, and scenes looking like they are a complete landscape end up as green screens very well placed. Even the Hulk design, and how they pulled this off.

Caught something interesting yesterday on Box Office Mojo. When I pulled the latest updates, the worldwide total was what I reflect in this chart.

19 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

ELbwiad.png

When I went back a little while later to check some country details, the worldwide total had jumped up by $1.217M due to a higher International Box Office update.

jFG581I.png

One problem. The last update to the International Box Office details was 12/24/17. If there had been an update to the Foreign Total, BOM then changes the 'As Of' to reflect the latest date it posted such updates.

zPmgfda.png

No matter the accounting oddity here, that puts the movie only $3.902M from hitting $850M.

Disney holding on to any theater it can is slowly paying off, as this is now only $1.86M away from cracking $850M worldwide. But it looks like it had to release more theaters this past week compared to other Day 60 films.

FzBwkqf.png

Day 60 Theater Count:

- Guardians of the Galaxy 2: 966 theaters ($452K Day 60)

- Spider-Man: Homecoming (Sony/MCU): 2,036 theaters ($1.035M Day 60)

- Thor: Ragnarok: 540 theaters ($275K Day 60)

Chris Hemsworth Wants Thor and Wolverine Team-Up

thor-wolverine-team-up-1072624-640x320.j

Now that Disney is buying Fox, Hemsworth hopes his Thor will cross paths with Wolverine. That's what he told Screen Rant when asked about which Fox character he'd most like to interact with.

“I mean, Wolverine, just because I love that character, you know what I mean?" Hemsworth says. "I just love Hugh Jackman. Unfortunately, he died in the last movie, didn’t he?”

That's true. Jackman's Wolverine did die at the end of Logan. Then again, it wouldn't be the first time that Wolverine has returned from the dead. Hemsworth seems to feel like he can convince Jackman to do the same.

“We can bring him back to life," Hemsworth suggests. "Now that you’ve informed me that it’s a possibility I’m going to get on the one phone and try to coax him over or convince him and see if he has one more in him.”

Now that would an interesting team-up. And what a way for the new MCU-Fox portfolio.