• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THOR: RAGNAROK official thread (7/28/2017)
5 5

896 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, VintageComics said:

I thought Cate Blanchett was really good (and she was even hot in costume - not a way I'm used to thinking of CB lol ). I liked the story.

Yeah my wife punched my arm when I leaned over during the movie and asked if she could dye her hair black.

Saw it Saturday...flippin' fantastic.  It was a winning new formula for Marvel--put all the humor in to draw the non-hardcores in, and put the fighting in to keep the hardcores happy.  Best of both worlds.  The surprising part was that even though I'm a hardcore, I actually started to get a little bored when the quipping stopped for ten minutes or so towards the end so that they could do the extended fighting sequences.  The film seemed to actually turn me OFF to the core of superhero films.  :whatthe:

But that's not a quibble, just an observation.  Just a fabulous film.  The best part was Thor using his lightning to full effect for the first time.  I enthusiastically agree with the idea of lightning being the primary focus for his power over him using the hammer.  :headbang:

7e0194f070aba3f68ac8a96ce21c40f6.jpg

Edited by fantastic_four

On 11/16/2017 at 7:16 PM, VintageComics said:

I thought Cate Blanchett was really good (and she was even hot in costume - not a way I'm used to thinking of CB lol ).

She's always had those long lines at 5.8" and change, but rarely does a film actually show them off.  She also says she got fit for the first time for the role, and that she liked the feeling so much she wants to continue with it.

Cate-Blanchett-Hela-Thor-Ragnarok.jpg?mb

Well, that was a ton of fun! I love how "Kirby" it all was. I found myself just shaking my head when stuff would pop up on screen. A lot of the humor worked for me and I laughed a lot. Korg was awesome...so understated. A perfect comic book movie, IMHO. Definitely can't wait to see it again. 

On 11/4/2017 at 3:26 PM, WeR138 said:

ould have used a little less "Immigrant Song" as I was surprised that they used it again in the final battle. 

Didn't they just use it at the start during the Surtur fight and again at the very end?

The song is about Viking invasions, but so much of it refers to the Norse gods and Thor's hammer that it seemed entirely appropriate to use it.  So much so that I'm surprised it took until the third movie for someone to think of that.

1 hour ago, fantastic_four said:

Didn't they just use it at the start during the Surtur fight and again at the very end?

The song is about Viking invasions, but so much of it refers to the Norse gods and Thor's hammer that it seemed entirely appropriate to use it.  So much so that I'm surprised it took until the third movie for someone to think of that.

Two times in the film and in one of the trailers.

It's an entirely appropriate song for a Thor movie, I just think less would have been more.

When I heard it in the trailer, I thought it was fantastic, the first time in the movie and it really helped set the mood for that scene, the third time I just thought "Again? They couldn't have found something else?"

If fan bleepin’ awesome tastic wasn’t a word before, it is now!

The only gripe I have - Led Zeppelin’s “Immigrant Song” is all well and good, but there are at least a dozen Amon Amarth songs that were made for this movie.  Those fights scenes with “Twilight of the Thunder God” playing...sheer dynamite.

Edited by mattn792

8 hours ago, mattn792 said:

If fan bleepin’ awesome tastic wasn’t a word before, it is now!

The only gripe I have - Led Zeppelin’s “Immigrant Song” is all well and good, but there are at least a dozen Amon Amarth songs that were made for this movie.  Those fights scenes with “Twilight of the Thunder God” playing...sheer dynamite.

I'm a metal fan also so I get what you're saying but Amon Amarth is way too blistering of an onslaught for the ears of the average moviegoer and would shock people out of the flow of the movie. I think Zeppelin struck the perfect balance.

Most moviegoers who aren't into more extreme metal would most likely consider Amon Amarth tuneless noise, even though through years of listening to thrash, doom or metalcore some of us are more capable of getting our heads around it.

I thought "Immigrant Song" might've been a bit cliched, but it worked well, and as a better commercial compromise.

Edited by Ken Aldred

lol

I thought the soundtrack was fine as-is. Though it turns out they purposely jazzed it up after this video came out about Marvel movie soundtracks.

Sounds like it hit a nerve with some Marvel executives. So they wanted to put it to bed.

THOR: RAGNAROK Soundtrack Was Heavily Influenced By A Video Essay About Marvel Scores

There’s a chance that you have seen the video essay elaborating on Marvel Studios’ movies music choices, since it was vastly popular and quite controversial. In an interesting turn of events, Mark Mothersbaugh, the composer of Thor: Ragnarok’s score, also counts as one of the video’s viewers.

In an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, the composer known for his work on The Lego Movie and 21 Jump Street explained how his job changed (for worse): “The composer has been getting squeezed over the last few decades. I guess sometimes maybe it works”. Mothersbaugh also agrees with many points from "The Marvel Symphonic Universe" video essay: “A lot of times, and especially in the cases of the films they were pointing to in this YouTube thing, it started sounding like musical wallpaper. I think that's what people were reacting to. It didn't sound like the music was written for that scene in particular. It sounded like somebody was just spraying the wall with some color. It was the right color for a specific moment but had no nuances to it."

The composer was shocked that the Thor: Ragnarok director, Taika Waititi and the Marvel Studios producers were so invested in the process of making the movie: “You don't always see that. A lot of the executives, their big concerns are marketing, and investments, they don't have time — music is way down at the bottom of the list. Even the directors, sometimes, you are working with them and they are like, 'Cobbler, cobble me some music.' And you are kind of treated like that” – that approach clearly paid off, as his Rangarok score is one of the best parts of the critically acclaimed movie.

Mothersbaugh also shared kind words about Kevin Feige, the president and one of the masterminds behind Marvel Studios: "I'm sitting there with their in-house music editor and playing music for him and Taika. This guy walks in and it's Kevin and he sits down with me, he's just listening in. He's checking it out to see what we're doing" – the composer concluded.