• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Let's play "Guess the CGC Grade"....!

58 posts in this topic

Let's put up scans of books before submitted to CGC, and then try to guess what CGC graded them. I'll start one off...

Note; if there is any vast discrepancies with the interior/back cover (on later books in which I won't have a back cover scan), I'll note 'em.

First book on the block? My Pep #1. It's unrestored.

pep11.jpg

As someone completely new to grading, can you tell me a bit about why you think it grades a 6.0? What are you looking for and what makes it a 6 versus a 7 or 8?

Is it color, defects, spine? Any particular flaws in this book at are really obvious to you?

Sorry to be such a newbie, but I am really interested in hearing how people approach grading, what they look for etc.

DT

Ok. You called me out.

First and foremost, I do understand that CGC grades Golden Age not as strict as Silver Age. Also, I am assuming the staples are attached. I do not see a serious crease on the cover, although there may be one. So I am looking past it being a Very Good.

Flaws are as follows:

Corners: All have some degree of damage/blunting. Crease lower left.

Spine: Some damage to upper staple area as well as several stress cracks.

Cover: Some Staining

Back Cover: Also has several stains, damage along the bottom edge and $50.00 written in pen. (Would have been more serious if this was on the front cover)

IF

this were a silver or bronze age, I wouldn't grade it any better than a VG.

IF

there is a crease that breaks color on the cover that I can't see, even as a golden age I wouldn't grade it better than a VG because of the accumulation of defects.

Very interested in opinions everyone. confused.gif

The corners are actually pretty sharp (you might be grading a tad harsh here); you're right about the other defects. Pages are a solid "off-white", and there's no tanning on the interior covers. Book is attached throughout solidly at all staples. You can't see the spine, but there isn't a spine crease or anything that breaks color; only above the top staple is there a spine color break.

You're way undergrading it....I'm not sure why you're starting the grading at a VG and working up or down from there. Look at the overall appearance of the book. No paper loss, flat, moderate gloss, no major creases, only moderate spine wear with some staining, and the inking on the back cover (good catch on that, by the way)...

It was primarily the accumulation of defects that made me think along the lines of a VG rather than a Fine - but only if the comic was Silver or Bronze Age. All of the defects except for "soiling" are allowed in a VG. A fine is a comic as described as "clean" and I felt with the stains on the comic together with the other defects might be a stretch for the fine grade. Also, the top staple had the appearance of being loose, so I wasn't sure. I did forget to mention, a great looking comic. Had fun, thanks for the post. And your right, obviously I did under-grade a bit, but I was close. smirk.gif

Now, you guys think a Silver Age would have gotten this?

Short answer, No.

This is a prime example of GA overgrading on CGC's part. I have seen several Silver Age books in the 5.0 range that looked better than this book.