• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 40 Copper in Overstreet

125 posts in this topic

I wanted to try a bit of a "crowd sourcing" experiment. I'm an advisor to the OSPG, focused on late Bronze through modern books, and you can find my Market Report in last year's guide on pages 110-114.

I know OSPG isn't perfect, but I've always felt it's a great resource for our hobby, and through my limited contribution, I try to add to that value.

In last year's market report, I stressed the rapid rise of Copper books, and took a first stab at identifying a list of the "Top 40 Copper Keys" (on page 111 of the Guide). Now, OSPG already has a Top 10 Copper list, but this is based on value - it's made of books where scarcity drives value, either by virtue of low initial print runs (like Gobbledygook #1), or rare variants (like Miracleman Gold #1). My newer Top 40 list isn't meant to be only about price, but about significance to collectors of the Copper Age.

Those of you who know the Guide know there's always a great annual report on the state of war comics, known as the War Report. It's put together by Matt Ballesteros and the War Correspondents, and draws heavily on the war comics thread on these boards. I thought I might follow their lead, and turn this Top 40 Copper Age list into a bit of a group exercise, sharing the results as part of my Market Report for this year...

Here's the Top 40 "keys" I identified last year. As always, it's hard to explicitly say when the Copper Age began or ended, but I've suggested it's 1982(ish) to 1992(ish). The list is in alphabetical order:

Albedo #2

Amazing Spider-Man #252, #298, #300, #361

Archie's Girls Betty and Veronica #320

Batman #368, #386, #404, #426

Batman Adventures #12

Bone #1

Caliber Presents #1

Comico Primer #2

DC Comics Presents #26, #47

Evil Ernie #1

Incredible Hulk #271, #340

Iron Man #282

John Byrne's Next Men #21

Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars #8

Miracleman #15

New Mutants #87, #98, Annual #2

Omega Men #3

Sandman #1

Superman #423

Swamp Thing #20, #37

Tales of the New Teen Titans #44

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1

Uncanny X-Men #266, #282

Vampirella #113

X-Factor #6, #24

Do you agree/disagree with these books? What would you add? What would you drop?

I don't want to "steal" anybody's inside knowledge, but I'm sure our collective knowledge will outweigh my own singular insights. Thanks in advance to any who want to help!

I wanted to try a bit of a "crowd sourcing" experiment. I'm an advisor to the OSPG, focused on late Bronze through modern books, and you can find my Market Report in last year's guide on pages 110-114.

I know OSPG isn't perfect, but I've always felt it's a great resource for our hobby, and through my limited contribution, I try to add to that value.

In last year's market report, I stressed the rapid rise of Copper books, and took a first stab at identifying a list of the "Top 40 Copper Keys" (on page 111 of the Guide). Now, OSPG already has a Top 10 Copper list, but this is based on value - it's made of books where scarcity drives value, either by virtue of low initial print runs (like Gobbledygook #1), or rare variants (like Miracleman Gold #1). My newer Top 40 list isn't meant to be only about price, but about significance to collectors of the Copper Age.

Those of you who know the Guide know there's always a great annual report on the state of war comics, known as the War Report. It's put together by Matt Ballesteros and the War Correspondents, and draws heavily on the war comics thread on these boards. I thought I might follow their lead, and turn this Top 40 Copper Age list into a bit of a group exercise, sharing the results as part of my Market Report for this year...

Here's the Top 40 "keys" I identified last year. As always, it's hard to explicitly say when the Copper Age began or ended, but I've suggested it's 1982(ish) to 1992(ish). The list is in alphabetical order:

Albedo #2

Amazing Spider-Man #252, #298, #300, #361

Archie's Girls Betty and Veronica #320

Batman #368, #386, #404, #426

Batman Adventures #12

Bone #1

Caliber Presents #1

Comico Primer #2

DC Comics Presents #26, #47

Evil Ernie #1

Incredible Hulk #271, #340

Iron Man #282

John Byrne's Next Men #21

Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars #8

Miracleman #15

New Mutants #87, #98, Annual #2

Omega Men #3

Sandman #1

Superman #423

Swamp Thing #20, #37

Tales of the New Teen Titans #44

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1

Uncanny X-Men #266, #282

Vampirella #113

X-Factor #6, #24

Do you agree/disagree with these books? What would you add? What would you drop?

I don't want to "steal" anybody's inside knowledge, but I'm sure our collective knowledge will outweigh my own singular insights. Thanks in advance to any who want to help!

Boy, BA 12 sure feels like modern, rather than copper. Either way, I second the inclusions of BTDK and Watchmen 1. Possibly Killing Joke. I'd also add Warrior 1 - first appearance of both Miracleman and V for Vendetta. Also, while I LOVE Superman 423, I'm not sure it makes the cut--and I'm confused why it would without its Action counterpart.

More thoughts as I have them. Oh, New Teen Titans 1 and 2?

I would include Star Wars 107 - but I admit to a bias. :)

For Batman, I have found issues 427 and 428 to be in the most demand for A Death in the Family.

I also 100% agree about the Watchmen 1 and the Dark Knight Returns 1. I am tempted to also recommend the Dark Knight Returns 2.

I know Swamp Thing #20 is the new darling because it gets you the coveted "first" designation on the CGC label. But in terms of story, it just wraps up all the loose plot threads from the Pasko run. It's significant because of the Moore connection, it belongs on the list, but I don't recall any one saying they want it because of the story.

In terms of story, #21 is highly significant. It has a vital, substantive character development, is extremely well written, and I think the general consensus is that it's one of the best stories of the Copper Age. Probably should be on the list along with the #20.

ASM 238?

Xmen 221?

+1

Not as important but...

ASM 265 may be one a few years down the road. It'll be driven strictly on movie hype.

Also, I can see UXM 184 being a halfhearted important issue at some point.

If we're going by importance and not just price, I would put Starslayer #2, Destroyer Duck #1 and Starslayer #10 on the list. They may be too common to command big prices at the moment, but as the first appearances of Rocketeer, Groo and Grimjack, they are all important and have at least some long term potential.

Punisher #1 and Silver Surfer #34 are a couple of other once-hot books that I think could come around again but might not be top 40 yet.

Thanks, Geeks...

When I did last year's list, Omega Men #3 was starting to heat up again on rumours that it might be The Rock's DC movie role... Now that we know he'll play Black Adam, I agree that this book looks a little more marginal.

I also agree that while New Teen Titans #1 and #2 feel like Copper to me personally, they really are outside my timeframe... So you're right that DCCP #26 should probably also go.

I like the DKR and Watchmen suggestions.

Thanks, Crimebuster...

I like these suggestions, but I'd be interested in what others think... Are these a little too "niche"?

My first reaction was to agree completely with Starslayer #2, but then I thought that's probably because I' a massive Dave Stevens fan. And while I think Stevens books are (slowly) heating up, I'm not sure the first Rocketeer is an age-shaping key.

What do others think about these books? Or do existing books on the list have the same issues, like the first Crow or first Hellboy appearances?

Sorry... Thought I should spread out my comments a little so it didn't look like I was just talking to myself.

I wanted a Crow book on the list, but had Caliber Presents #1... Do you think Crow #1 is a better choice? Or a different book?

Sorry... Thought I should spread out my comments a little so it didn't look like I was just talking to myself.

I wanted a Crow book on the list, but had Caliber Presents #1... Do you think Crow #1 is a better choice? Or a different book?

Crow 1-4 along with Caliber#1 should be included.I'm not one to follow speculation, but when the Crow movie comes out these books should gain momentum.Also adding that there is a shortage of high grade copies available, makes for a supply and demand perfect scenario.