• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Star Wars returns to Marvel Comics

709 posts in this topic

With respect to the variants of the new Marvel Star Wars #1, I looked through the previews order forms last week with the owner of the comic shop I visit.

It sounds there are going to be a lot of incentive based variants of #1. For instance, there are supposed to be some incentive variants that are 1 / 15, 1 / 50 (for the Alex Ross cover) and some even higher than 1 / 100 (for sketch variants if I recall correctly - but I am not sure).

Throughout the years, I collected all the Marvel Star Wars run (but I don't have all the Canadian newsstand 75 cent and 95 cent variants from issues 64 to 106 though - but I have some of them). I also collected almost all the Dark Horse Star Wars variants. However, the last couple of years has been rough with the sketch variants for last Dark Horse Star Wars titles.

With the new Marvel Star Wars, I may have to abandon my variant collecting as a completest only becuase I have a bad feeling that it's going to be insane.

I definately like the Alex Ross variant a lot though!

I hope they get Tom Palmer to draw Star Wars again! :wishluck: At least some cover work.

In the meantime, I just got this Palmer sketch done. There's going to be a Star Wars blank out in January too, I can't wait. :acclaim:

<a  href=001_zpsd19dd0b4.jpg' alt='001_zpsd19dd0b

With respect to the variants of the new Marvel Star Wars #1, I looked through the previews order forms last week with the owner of the comic shop I visit.

It sounds there are going to be a lot of incentive based variants of #1. For instance, there are supposed to be some incentive variants that are 1 / 15, 1 / 50 (for the Alex Ross cover) and some even higher than 1 / 100 (for sketch variants if I recall correctly - but I am not sure).

Throughout the years, I collected all the Marvel Star Wars run (but I don't have all the Canadian newsstand 75 cent and 95 cent variants from issues 64 to 106 though - but I have some of them). I also collected almost all the Dark Horse Star Wars variants. However, the last couple of years has been rough with the sketch variants for last Dark Horse Star Wars titles.

With the new Marvel Star Wars, I may have to abandon my variant collecting as a completest only becuase I have a bad feeling that it's going to be insane.

I definately like the Alex Ross variant a lot though!

It is not even a "may have to abandon" for me. I have an almost complete collection of Marvel and Dark Horse (including all DF variants and several of the harder comics including copies of the Mixed Up Droid, 50 sets of the TRU 4 part mini, etc.), only missing the 4 $0.35 test variants. I have been working on a foreign collection of the original Marvel Star Wars title this past year (you can see parts of my collection over on the Foreign Comics Boards.) This is just beyond my price range (these are DCBS prices):

Star Wars 1 Quesada Sketch Var $1250

Star Wars 1 Ross Sketch Var $500

The entire original Marvel run can be purchased in NM condition for less than the cost of these two variants. doh!

I guess it was too much to expect Marvel to exercise restraint with this property. It was going to sell in big numbers, whether they put out all these variants or not, so I'm not sure why they needed such ridiculous incentives. I doubt it will end with this month's offerings either.

I'm seriously contemplating ending my modern buying habit. This was beyond my worst nightmare with regards to what I thought Marvel would have done. I was expecting to begrudgingly shell out some money to keep my collection complete (a couple hundred dollars); I never imagined over $2000 for just Star Wars 1 though. :sorry:

It is definitely a better deal than what these comics have been fetching on eBay. The lowest set I remember was this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-Comic-Books-Dark-Horse-Alex-Ross-Sketch-Cover-Variant-1-4-Rare-/191382013275?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item2c8f41c55b

Definitely came down from the highs these issues use to fetch.

Kir Kanos, I'd love to hear more about your collection. Sounds like you and I have something in common here.

@rjrjr

I think its one of those ones where waiting is better. The only thing that might hold its speculative value up is the new movies, but all Marvel Variants like these fall with time.

I could see myself trying to own one of whatever the rarest variants are of each of their new Star Wars series, but I probably wouldnt even begin to look for them until a couple years have passed.

@RJRJR

I definitely agree that we seem to collect a lot of the same stuff. I actually messaged you once before regarding the problem issues within the original Star Wars Marvel run. For some issues, it doesn’t matter how many times I send in what I believe to be 9.8 candidates – these problem issues come back as 9.6s or 9.4s. For instance, the typical direct market copies of #33 have small punctures located near the bottom staple. Hopefully – someday I can find a 9.8 copy – but I have been trying since 2008 (when I began upgrading my original collection). Overall, I am close to having a 9.8 Marvel Collection which is a mixture of mostly direct market books with some US newsstand editions.

For Canadian Newsstand price variants (from issues 64 to 106) – I believe I have about a third of them in 9.0 or higher condition. All my other copies are in rough shape as they are from the original collection I acquired in the 80’s (i.e. before I realized how to take care of my books). As far as buying high grade Canadian price variants – it’s been difficult. In most cases, I find them by accident when going through bins at Canadian conventions or sometimes buying online when I am willing to take a chance. The best Canadian Newsstand books I have found so far were from Wes Hagen (of Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario) and Doug Sulipa (of Steinback, Manitoba). I submitted a combination of 10 books (from both Wes and Doug) via Modern slow track at Baltimore. They have been graded but are still waiting for their turn in quality control. I imagine I’ll know the results in about 4 or 5 weeks from now. :wishluck:

You definitely seem to have a great collection of the Dynamic Forces – Dark Horse issues. I have some of them like Vader’s Quest #1 Gold Foil or Union #1 and #4 limited editions. However, there are some I am still missing. Hopefully in the upcoming years I’ll have the chance to track some more down.

With respect to the upcoming Marvel variants – I looked at the TFAW online store for prices. I think CBT may be right with respect to the benefits of waiting to buy these particular variants.

Marvel having the SW comics rights again == FML! $3.99 and up for all the books when DH was being cool at $2.99 for years now. A bunch of variants and wildly_fanciful_statement will ensue with mediocre stories. I hope I'm wrong though on this.

@RJRJR

I definitely agree that we seem to collect a lot of the same stuff. I actually messaged you once before regarding the problem issues within the original Star Wars Marvel run. For some issues, it doesn’t matter how many times I send in what I believe to be 9.8 candidates – these problem issues come back as 9.6s or 9.4s. For instance, the typical direct market copies of #33 have small punctures located near the bottom staple. Hopefully – someday I can find a 9.8 copy – but I have been trying since 2008 (when I began upgrading my original collection). Overall, I am close to having a 9.8 Marvel Collection which is a mixture of mostly direct market books with some US newsstand editions.

For Canadian Newsstand price variants (from issues 64 to 106) – I believe I have about a third of them in 9.0 or higher condition. All my other copies are in rough shape as they are from the original collection I acquired in the 80’s (i.e. before I realized how to take care of my books). As far as buying high grade Canadian price variants – it’s been difficult. In most cases, I find them by accident when going through bins at Canadian conventions or sometimes buying online when I am willing to take a chance. The best Canadian Newsstand books I have found so far were from Wes Hagen (of Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario) and Doug Sulipa (of Steinback, Manitoba). I submitted a combination of 10 books (from both Wes and Doug) via Modern slow track at Baltimore. They have been graded but are still waiting for their turn in quality control. I imagine I’ll know the results in about 4 or 5 weeks from now. :wishluck:

You definitely seem to have a great collection of the Dynamic Forces – Dark Horse issues. I have some of them like Vader’s Quest #1 Gold Foil or Union #1 and #4 limited editions. However, there are some I am still missing. Hopefully in the upcoming years I’ll have the chance to track some more down.

With respect to the upcoming Marvel variants – I looked at the TFAW online store for prices. I think CBT may be right with respect to the benefits of waiting to buy these particular variants.

I remember your PM now. I think your collection of 9.8 issues is really cool. I am slowly building a 9.6 collection, but have a ways to go. It hasn't been a priority for me, although I did seek out the more expensive issues early just to get them out of the way (Star Wars 1-6, 42, 68, 81, 107.)

I built my Dynamic Forces collection patiently through eBay, conventions, and LCS visits. I have been fortunate to have several jobs over the year that allow me to travel around the country where I can stop by a LCS and find some of the Dynamic Forces books. Years ago, there was a dealer on eBay who had a large number of the DF issues that were released in the years around Episode I (Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Amadala, Anakin, Jedi Council, etc.) that they would list for $3.00 - $5.00. I remember buying almost everything he listed as he listed them, which got me started on my DF collection. The two most expensive DF issues seem to be the Star Wars: Inifinities 1 and the Darth Maul 1 issue, even though they are not the most limited issues. I believe the Star Wars Qui-Gon & Obi-Wan Kenobi: Last Stand on Ord Mantell 1 issue is limited to 1500. I also believe the Star Wars Jedi Quest 1 Ruby Red and Star Wars Jedi vs Sith 1 were some of the more limited releases. Unfortunately, I'm not at my home where I can look this up. I also have several of the DF signed issues, but I don't consider them necessary to have a complete collection and they can get pricey with the actor's signatures. I'm hoping to some day put together a list of all the Dynamic Forces issues including the signed issues. I am unaware of such a list existing. I am not considering the Star Wars 1 remarked issues by Caniono and Haeser that DF is putting out for Star Wars 1 as being necessary for a complete collection, although some of the covers are pretty cool. Over $60 each for all 8 remarked issues. :( They are similar to the signed comics (signed in gold Ink, signed in Blue ink, etc.)

I wonder if any of the usual suspects will be getting store exclusives for this Star Wars 1 too. hm Or do they not bother because Marvel has done a decent job of putting out the variants themselves.

Marvel having the SW comics rights again == FML! $3.99 and up for all the books when DH was being cool at $2.99 for years now. A bunch of variants and wildly_fanciful_statement will ensue with mediocre stories. I hope I'm wrong though on this.

To be fair, Dark Horse has gotten annoying in the past couple of years with the variants too. But, unlike Marvel, they did show some restraint on how many they have released. The worst was the 1-4 from the Wood's Star Wars title. Marvel has taken this variant thing to an entirely new level. One I didn't even imagine was possible. I'm guessing this isn't new with the Star Wars titles.

I wonder if any of the usual suspects will be getting store exclusives for this Star Wars 1 too. hm Or do they not bother because Marvel has done a decent job of putting out the variants themselves.

Unless Marvel doesnt allow it, I would say that absolutely they will be.

Unless Marvel doesnt allow it, I would say that absolutely they will be.

there will be a TON

@RJRJR

You definitely know your DF variants. In the upcoming years, I hope to be able to buy some more DF variants. After all, I am missing the highly sought after ones such as the red foil Darth Maul #1 or the limited edition Jedi vs. Sith #1.

For your Marvel Star Wars 9.6 collection, I definitely have a lot of extra copies if you are ever interested in trading sometime (for any doubles of your Dark Horse variants).

As for the new Marvel Star Wars series, I am going to hope for the remote possibility that the executives of Marvel are reading our posts and reach the decision to half their number of upcoming variants. This might mean that issue 2 may only have 10 variants vice 20. Unfortunately, they might miss read my comment and decide to half the availability of their upcoming variants (for instance - a variant that was 1 / 100 becomes a variant that is 1 / 200). I guess I better be careful what I hope for in case this deal is getting worse all the time. Thus, I must hope that Marvel chooses not to alter the deal any further.