• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Star Wars returns to Marvel Comics

709 posts in this topic

Wow, those are awesome covers! I think Fett is one of the most appealing characters to artists, his uniform is pretty awesome to draw. I've gotten lots of sketches of him over the years and I hear this quite often.

This and ASM 1 are going to be interesting test cases as the years go by. How will the market treat these variants? Will there be complete set builders? Will one variant become the key one to have? Will several? How will the standard cover fare?

Ought to be fun to watch.

Are any of you all Star Wars completionists?

I am sorry, if so. This is crazy.,

Guilty. Not only am I a completist, I've been a vocal opponent of variants. :) Needless to say, I have a choice to make here. Do I attempt to keep my collection complete, or do I give up now, knowing Marvel won't stop with this first issue?

I knew Marvel was going to put out variants. In my worst nightmare, it was not as bad as what has actually transpired.

What is funny is most of the variants are at best $5 books long term because of how many are being produced. Paying $10 or $15 for the retailer exclusives is throwing away $5 to $10 (and more if you are paying for S&H). The 3000 Game Stop Star Wars 1 variant started at $100 - $150 a few years ago. These days, it is a $10-20 book. I'm doubtful many of these stores will be able to sell through the 3000 copies they have ordered at the prices they are asking. The cooler variants won't have a problem. But some of these variants (the Darth Vader and Leia headshot cover comes to mind) do not have the same appeal.

This is all IMHO of course.

I agree with you.

55+ variants is just so out of control, though.

I'm not sure Marvel can be blamed for the number though. I blame them for the ridiculous 1 of X variants for the Quesada and sketch covers. There are going to be some retailers that are going to be sitting on some of these Star Wars 1 variants for some time.