• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"This Score Needs Fixing" Thread

85 posts in this topic

Hi Gemma,

Re: Worlds' Finest (2012) set.

Please would you amend the Futures End + Futures End variant scores in line with the rest of the set. The set is structured on the typical "25 points for a 9.8" and these two recent additions have the "24 points for a 9.8" system. Although it's "only" 1 point, it does mean a difference in rank.

Thank you.

BW

Gemma,

Was wondering about 2 things with UXM 500. There's only "sketch variant' listed, however there are 2 different sketch variants (the same question applies for the regular variant, as the sketch variants are simply b&w versions of the 2 ration variants). Shouldn't the Turner Sketch & the Dodson Sketch variants be separate entries? Also, shouldn't the Turner & Dodson color variants be separate entries?

Other question is that these sketch variants only have a print-run of less than 400 copies each. I know most of them are on the census & high grade, but shouldn't that scarcity of print run increase their point values? The recent sales on each of them are ~$350 for the dodson sketch & ~$500 for the Turner sketch.

Thank you for your consideration!

Joe

Gemma,

Was wondering about 2 things with UXM 500. There's only "sketch variant' listed, however there are 2 different sketch variants (the same question applies for the regular variant, as the sketch variants are simply b&w versions of the 2 ration variants). Shouldn't the Turner Sketch & the Dodson Sketch variants be separate entries? Also, shouldn't the Turner & Dodson color variants be separate entries?

Other question is that these sketch variants only have a print-run of less than 400 copies each. I know most of them are on the census & high grade, but shouldn't that scarcity of print run increase their point values? The recent sales on each of them are ~$350 for the dodson sketch & ~$500 for the Turner sketch.

Joe

I think the issue here is that on both covers the CGC label just says 'sketch cover' and does NOT distinguish between the Dodson and the Turner variants, so splitting them down may prove problematic.

Gemma,

Joe

I think the issue here is that on both covers the CGC label just says 'sketch cover' and does NOT distinguish between the Dodson and the Turner variants, so splitting them down may prove problematic.

Kinda what I was thinking as well on the first part of it. They didn't distinguish between the 2 sketch (or 2 color ration) variants initially, and doing it retroactively might prove problematic. But figured I would at least ask. It sucks to be able to only add 1 or the other (of both color & sketch) to my registry though.

Hi Gemma,

Please would you amend the Futures End + Futures End variant scores in line with the rest of the set. The set is structured on the typical "25 points for a 9.8" and these two recent additions have the "24 points for a 9.8" system. Although it's "only" 1 point, it does mean a difference in rank.

Thank you.

BW

Hi Gemma,

Please don't forget these two. They've not been added to the latest list update.

Thank you.

BW

• Administrator
Hi Gemma,

Thank you.

BW

Hi Gemma,

Please don't forget these two. They've not been added to the latest list update.

Thank you.

BW

I just went ahead and updated these as it seems to have been an error with the upload. I found a similar issue in the East of West set, so I'll have to keep an eye out for any others....let me know if you see any more, please!

I just went ahead and updated these as it seems to have been an error with the upload. I found a similar issue in the East of West set, so I'll have to keep an eye out for any others....let me know if you see any more, please!

Hi Gemma,

Thank you for making the changes. There must be more scoring templates than I had realised! The 9.8 SS score for the Futures End slots should be 28 to match the rest of the set. It's now 27. Please would you alter the 9.8 SS score as well?

Thank you.

BW

PS. Please feel free to roll your eyes... ;)

• Administrator

Well, there are 25 (technically 26 for NG, but that gets no score) grades and 48 different label types so, yeah there are a bunch of scoring templates & formulas in place. But usually the system is pretty good at consistently scoring them all once I set the initial baseline, however occasionally there is a glitch.... I always try to fix those as quickly as possible, but keep in mind I am juggling a few different responsibilities. ;)

Well, there are 25 (technically 26 for NG, but that gets no score) grades and 48 different label types so, yeah there are a bunch of scoring templates & formulas in place. But usually the system is pretty good at consistently scoring them all once I set the initial baseline, however occasionally there is a glitch.... I always try to fix those as quickly as possible, but keep in mind I am juggling a few different responsibilities. ;)

Thank you Gemma. I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say it's appreciated how quickly you sort out our requests.

BW

Gemma,

Joe

Kinda what I was thinking as well on the first part of it. They didn't distinguish between the 2 sketch (or 2 color ration) variants initially, and doing it retroactively might prove problematic. But figured I would at least ask. It sucks to be able to only add 1 or the other (of both color & sketch) to my registry though.

Gemma,

Are we correct about these variants?

Brian

• Administrator

Yes, unless they are separated out by denoting a different variant on the label then I can't break them out in the registry. Usually once a good number have been certified the modern graders are hesitant to separate them as that means that every other book is now mislabeled (until sent in for relabeling), but you are welcome to ask if they would consider it either by e-mailing through the site or using Ask CGC.

Hi Gemma

Thanks for finding the time to make such good progress on scores reviews, we're all very grateful.

Could I add a few more silver and bronze Marvel books to the list please, including reviewing a few that I think are now rather higher than supply and current market prices can any longer justify.

I think the following books merit uplifts based on scarcity in grade, demand and prevailing market prices:

Daredevil #31 - really tough in the highest grades - only 16 copies have been graded at 9.4 or higher. Although GPA for 9.4 is $275, that was in 2007 - copies invariably sell for much more when they actually come to market. I would recommend a 50% uplift on this issue.

Fantastic Four - at long last those great Stan and Jack collaborations are being recognised for their ground breaking innovation. Many issues remain incredibly scarce in the highest grades and the market has taken off on first and early appearances of Doctor Doom, Inhumans, Black Panther, the Kree and Him/ Warlock.

I would therefore recommend that, based on a combination of current GPA, scarcity and overwhelming demand, the following #s are at least doubled in value:

23, 36, 45, 46, 52, 65, 66, 67

Iron Man #55 - this issue, featuring the first appearance of Thanos, shows no signs of cooling off. Current GPA of $2150 for a 9.4 against registry value of 855 suggests points value should be at least doubled.

Tales to Astonish #27 - long recognised as the toughest of the Marvel keys and now more popular than ever with the recent - and belated - upsurge in interest in Ant Man. Latest GPA on 9.4 is a staggering $200,000. Whilst that is an extreme value for a stunning copy, I think registry value should be uplifted by between 50 to 100%.

Now, to be controversial, there are a few books that are now way over value on registry scores in relation to the current market and, in the case of X-Men the glut of high grade copies regularly sold for a fraction of registry scores:

Books I would suggest are reviewed downwards are:

Daredevil #7 - very scarce and highly desirable in top grades, but now there are many more copies on census at 9.0 and above GPA prices are in a steady decline. Based on the current market this book should probably be reduced in registry scores by around 50%.

Incredible Hulk #181 - yes, still the most sought after bronze age book, first appearance of Wolverine and a guaranteed seller in every grade. Nevertheless copies are plentiful in all grades and always sell for considerably less than registry values. I would recommend a reduction in value of between 25-40% to reflect current market rates.

Finally, X-Men remains an ever popular title but this is also reflected in the phenomenal number of high grade copies available - particularly on issues after #94.

I would recommend that issues between 21 to 66 are reduced in points value by around one third and issues 94 to 143 and Giant Size #1 are reduced by one half.

As I say, this may be controversial with so many great sets on the registry, but doesn't that in itself demonstrate just how common these issues are in the highest grades?

Thanks for considering.

Jon

Very valid notions Jon.

Definitely agree 100% with TTA #27.

My one personal hiccup would be with your DD #7 slashing.

(I'm trying to not be bias since I have a 9.4. So I'm trying to use logic and facts not my emotion. I bought it not at its peak, but when it was a fairly hot commodity still, at the start of it coming down for the first time in many moons. I was lucky enough to pay a VERY reasonable price for it though, all thanks to Vintage Roy:)

Anyways, personally I don't see how a 50% reduction is warranted for 9.2s and 9.4s.....let alone the coveted 9.6s out there. 9.0s....I have no idea what GPA is, or has been. You definitely are correct good Sir, there is more supply of these HG puppies now than ever. 9.4s, I would say their surge of supply was a couple years ago. Mainly in part to yet again Roy.

DD #1s have been selling at strong arse prices it seems in all grades the past several months, maybe since a year? (Scope out the DD threads in SA) Perhaps the demand and price increases are due to the DD show on Netflix next month? I don't really know. But he seems to be on an upward trend again in many Registry aspects......and #7 is obviously one of his top key books, if not #2 Head Honcho behind #1.

If points need to be tweaked, tweak away. 50% cut is a different matter. I would just wait for spell to see what pop culture dictates from this new series, the effect thar possibly has had and continues to have on DD books =>HG #7s at auction, shows and comic sites. Supply and demand & cost might just shift on lucky #7.

My 2c

Supergirl and the Legion of Superheroes #23 Adam Hughes Variant in the Adam Hughes cover set needs a significant boost in points. 9.6 universal slabs are selling over $300 and raw this book has been $100 plus. Current points for a universal 9.8 are only 24. This should be brought up to at least 100.

Hi Gemma,

In the Sandman: Overture Registry set all books receive 26 points in CGC 9.8 - that's fine for the regular books, but:

1) These are 1:100 variants:

Sandman Overture 1: Sketch Cover

Sandman Overture 2: Williams III Variant Cover

Sandman Overture 3: Williams III Variant cover

2) These are 1:200 variants:

Sandman Overture 1: McKean Sketch Cover

Sandman Overture 2: McKean Variant Cover

3) This was limited to 1,000 copies:

Sandman Overture 1: Lee Sketch Cover (this is actually the CBLDF variant)

All these books should be worth significantly more points than the regular issues.

thanks!

• Administrator

If you look through the thread it was because some of the requests in the thread were not reflected in the list....sorry....they will all be done in due time :foryou:

Hi Gemma,

I think that the scores for Adventure Comics 247 need fixing since the book has considerably risen in value over the last couple of years. Especially in low to mid grade. Here are some examples:

2013 avg: 2014 avg: 12 month avg: 90 day avg:

( 8.0 ) (1) $10,158 (1) $12,003 (1) $12,003

( 5.5 ) (1) $1,628 (6) $2,224 (5) $2,289

( 5.0 ) (1) $1,450 (3) $1,963 (4) $2,022 (1) $2,200

( 4.0 ) (2) $1,128 (3) $1,303 (3) $1,426 (1) $1,675

( 3.0 ) (1) $829 (4) $1,084 (5) $1,118 (1) $1,255

Thank you in advance.

Mike

Brave & the Bold #28 (DONE)

I see you have updated the scores for BB28, thank you. However the increase was nominal, maybe 25%. The new scores are still way under the marketplace. I think a 150% increase is still required.

Example Current 8.0 score is 8,400. Last sale in 8.0 was over 19,000 .

Current 7.5 score is 5,000, last sale is over 13,000 .

Please consider.

Just wondering if you considered my request. I'm sorry but it's a major key and the registry point values assigned are woefully low. Prices and demand have gone up even more since my request.

Please advise.

Hey Gemma,

DC Comics Presents #27 needs an updated score reflecting the scarcity of the book, especially in high grades. The sales of the comic in high grade has been steadily going up and keeping its value.

Amazing Spider-Man #194 needs to be re-evaluated as well. The score needs to reflect the new higher level of value the book holds.

Thanks