• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Surprised at some low bids on ebay? Here's one reason

15 posts in this topic

I looked at a boatload of bids I had placed via snipe, and noticed that many of them sold for less than my snipe bid and it said "no bid placed."

Then I saw a notice saying this was a problem they've been having for some time.

Some sellers missed out on some much higher bids that I placed.

I looked at a boatload of bids I had placed via snipe, and noticed that many of them sold for less than my snipe bid and it said "no bid placed."

Then I saw a notice saying this was a problem they've been having for some time.

You spend to much thats why. I think your the same person i bought the Action 10 coverless from years ago. I gave you my copy and money for yours.

This is the email from the late 90s if this is you.

>I have a coverless Marvel 1 missing last page Thanks Harold.<

I do not have an issue missing centerfold but I do have one missing back

cover about 1/2 the first page. So, I wonder if you'd do a deal including

in exchange of incomplete first page of mine for the first page of yours. I

know it leaves yours less desirable, so I would obviously include cash

and/or trade or something else as well. And, since, to complete your book,

you will basically need to find one missing the first wrap (most likely a

coverless which has had its centerfold removed), it would still include the

first page and you would still end up with a complete book when you found

it. let me know.

(also, I have other incomplete items I would offer in trade and may be able

to help with another item or two)

Russfly at ebay

I left part of the e-mail out.

I had a snipe on AuctionSniper that wasn't placed because it encountered one of those 'prove you're not a robot be entering the numbers shown' screens. I'd never seen that on eBay before. It was really annoying in any case - I'd sniped $140 and the item sold for $58 :pullhair:

This is old news. Its because one (or a range of ip addresses) are logging into ebay under multiple accounts so ebay adds another step for them to prove they are an actual human and since it is not a person, the login fails.

I'm surprised that AuctionSniper is one of those IP addresses so flagged. Surely it's not in eBay's interest to prevent snipes being placed?

It cost a boardie seller as much as $100 in this case.

And it makes me wonder if I can trust AuctionSniper at all?

This is old news. Its because one (or a range of ip addresses) are logging into ebay under multiple accounts so ebay adds another step for them to prove they are an actual human and since it is not a person, the login fails.

I'm surprised that AuctionSniper is one of those IP addresses so flagged. Surely it's not in eBay's interest to prevent snipes being placed?

It cost a boardie seller as much as $100 in this case.

And it makes me wonder if I can trust AuctionSniper at all?

Someone got a nice score for $58.

I feel the pain of those whose automated snipes fail. I only snipe live. It's one of my feeble attempts to keep my buying under control. I realize, though, that being several time zones away can make live sniping difficult.

There are myriad reasons why eBay is no longer your friend at auction.

Snipe programs not working, robot prevention and the most important one to me is if an item is not for sale in your country you not only can't bid on it, you can't even see it online anymore.

In the past, you could see an auction that wasn't available in your country but eBay would exclude your bid. You could work around it if you really wanted an item by either contacting the seller or finding another work around like bidding with a US account.

Now you don't even get a chance to see it which greatly limits potential buyers.

eBay has pretty much destroyed the auction format for maximizing prices. :screwy:

And then the minimized results get recorded to GPA.

Snipe programs not working, robot prevention and the most important one to me is if an item is not for sale in your country you not only can't bid on it, you can't even see it online anymore.

In the past, you could see an auction that wasn't available in your country but eBay would exclude your bid. You could work around it if you really wanted an item by either contacting the seller or finding another work around like bidding with a US account.

Now you don't even get a chance to see it which greatly limits potential buyers.

eBay has pretty much destroyed the auction format for maximizing prices. :screwy:

It is really frustrating. I usually do "live" sniping but if an item was selling at 4am (or something similar) local time, I prefered to set up an automated snipe. I haven't been able to do that in 3 months. I guess I won't be spending much on eBay anymore... :shrug:

That, and I have been buying off the boards recently :)

Is there a program to verify that Ebay is not run by robots?

Or comedians?

You spend to much thats why. I think your the same person i bought the Action 10 coverless from years ago. I gave you my copy and money for yours.

it. let me know.

Russfly at ebay

Telling me I spend too much might not be the best way to prime me for buying more from you, but I appreciate the thought.

And thanks for leaving out the part of the email in which I confessed to that triple homicide (whew, I was sweating for a moment)

it. let me know.

Russfly at ebay

Telling me I spend too much might not be the best way to prime me for buying more from you, but I appreciate the thought.

And thanks for leaving out the part of the email in which I confessed to that triple homicide (whew, I was sweating for a moment)

That comment was pretty...bizarre. (shrug)