• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What press do you use & would you purchase again?

47 posts in this topic

I haven't had anything pressed before, but am very curious of the process. For me, if I have an expensive book that I "wanted" pressed, I would send it to someone that for sure won't bugger it up. But for cheaper stuff, there is no way I could justify spending $12 per book. I would like to eventually get good at it, and then do my own stuff if I choose to. In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with wanting to press your own books. But if/when you sell them (even on ebay) there is nothing wrong with mentioning that they have been pressed.

Someone said that there was a lot of information out there if you look for it. They are right. I have found quite a bit in the last couple of hours or so.

It doesn't seem too difficult, but I haven't tried it yet.

In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with wanting to press your own books. But if/when you sell them (even on ebay) there is nothing wrong with mentioning that they have been pressed.

If/when you sell, I would insist that you mention it. If I know in advance that a book is pressed, I'm probably not buying it. I'm sure many have the same inclination.

In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with wanting to press your own books. But if/when you sell them (even on ebay) there is nothing wrong with mentioning that they have been pressed.

If/when you sell, I would insist that you mention it. If I know in advance that a book is pressed, I'm probably not buying it. I'm sure many have the same inclination.

A fine encouragement for people to disclose pressing!

As I've said, I haven't pressed anything yet. Anything I do practice on will end up being given away for Halloween next year, and also wouldn't press anything worth anything anyway. Unless or course I was actually getting great results.

When I buy comics, I don't generally ask about it's history. And don't generally care if I buy a book that has been pressed, so long as it's been done properly and I can't tell. But that's me. Trimming, color touch, etc, is a different story.

I do however, care if a comic has ever been taken into a bathroom :sick:

I think if it's known that a comic has been taken into a bathroom, it's common courtesy to let a buyer know. I never ask, although I probably should. lol

If you sell a classic car, you give the buyer it's known history.. why not a comic.

A fine encouragement for people to disclose pressing!

lol

Out of curiosity, I looked at some completed auctions for dry mount presses on eBay. Looking at the bidding history, some of the bidders also bid on comics. It appears that more and more collectors are pressing their comics.

Good catch Johnny. Not only that, but the same buyer was the winner of three different Technal 500s. Somebody is going to some serious squishing!

I sometimes get the feeling that I am the only person on the boards who doesn't press their own books.

This thread concerns me. I knew many were doing their own pressing but I didn't realize most are doing their own pressing. It concerns me that I may be buying somebody else's experiment. The logic CGC used early on was that pressing cannot be detected. That may be true for some but I am seeing more and more examples that are obviously pressed, squished beyond belief. Perhaps CGC should consider tagging such examples.

I sometimes get the feeling that I am the only person on the boards who doesn't press their own books.

This thread concerns me. I knew many were doing their own pressing but I didn't realize most are doing their own pressing. It concerns me that I may be buying somebody else's experiment. The logic CGC used early on was that pressing cannot be detected. That may be true for some but I am seeing more and more examples that are obviously pressed, squished beyond belief. Perhaps CGC should consider tagging such examples.

I think making the point that 'most' people are pressing their books is a little steep when it's on a thread with only three pages and at least one of those pages are dedicated to clowning around.

As for people experimenting on books, most people I've known do press books have it down to a fine science. Most guys don't want to share their trade secrets and if people generally experiment its on issues of Strawberry Shortcake or Heathcliff quarter box tripe.

I can see that in some cases this could get out of control. But before people were heat pressing they were cold pressing with long boxes.... Before I get flamed, I know there is a difference. lol

I don't know how accurate the pressing part is but having the before (CGC) and after (PGX) isn't an accurate assessment in my book

http://comicpressing.wordpress.com/2013/07/27/pressing-tutorial/

Definitely a bit apples vs. oranges. Why would you go through all the bother of cracking a CGC to press and then submit to the PGX? It's not comparable and skews the results. That said, I do think it would have obtained a grade bump from the CGC with the pressing.

I think making the point that 'most' people are pressing their books is a little steep when it's on a thread with only three pages and at least one of those pages are dedicated to clowning around.

As for people experimenting on books, most people I've known do press books have it down to a fine science. Most guys don't want to share their trade secrets and if people generally experiment its on issues of Strawberry Shortcake or Heathcliff quarter box tripe.

I can see that in some cases this could get out of control. But before people were heat pressing they were cold pressing with long boxes.... Before I get flamed, I know there is a difference. lol

There are many of us on the boards who don't believe in pressing books to improve the CGC grade - and many of these aren't impressed with 9.8 slabs outside of our own doing. :grin:

There are many of us on the boards who don't believe in pressing books to improve the CGC grade - and many of these aren't impressed with 9.8 slabs outside of our own doing. :grin:

That's a comment I can agree with. (thumbs u

Now back to lurking... :shy: