• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America: Civil War official movie thread (5/6/16)

2,267 posts in this topic

55 yrs of Spidey's expressive eyes in the comics & no one raises an eyebrow. Adhere to that history in the MCU & enjoy endless panning from devoted comics fans.

The director has stated that he wanted to blur the lines of right and wrong a bit more than the Civil War comic plot. But I'm not buying the grey area argument.

Tony had just as much involvement as Captain with the events in that unraveled in NY, DC and Sokovia. So it's a straw man argument by Gen.Ross that the heroes are the cause (Did we blame the NYCFD for 9/11?) . In fact, Stark has responsibility, because he created Ultron..And as far as the destruction in DC, whose technology was hijacked causing heli-carriers to crash into public works? Did cap build those??? Scarlet Witch in military manufacturing now??? So if anyone is a loose canon causing massive destruction, it's Stark. So cap freed Bucky....and Stark technology is what allowed the entire capital of Sakovia to go sub orbital. But, hey that shield is a dangerous weapon....We're going to have to put you and the rest of these rogue heroes on ice. Uh. Actually sounds a lot like the American govt. So that's pretty true to life.

What team are you on, and why? Do you support your favorite marvel hero, their standpoint or are you on the other side? (Or should this be a new thread?)

I think that Tony is aware that he is highly culpable for the destruction waged in NYC, DC, and Sokovia - especially Sokovia. He knows that the Ultron Program was a giant screw-up on his part. I think that he's championing the pro-regulation side as a sort of personal penance. People do that all the time IRL. Of course, his own hubris makes him believe that "we all need to be put in check" even though the fallout from his actions likely outweighs that of others.

As far as which team... that's tough. Depends on the extent of the regulation under the accords. Some people (Stark) need a little more oversight than others (Cap) lol

The director has stated that he wanted to blur the lines of right and wrong a bit more than the Civil War comic plot. But I'm not buying the grey area argument.

Tony had just as much involvement as Captain with the events in that unraveled in NY, DC and Sokovia. So it's a straw man argument by Gen.Ross that the heroes are the cause (Did we blame the NYCFD for 9/11?) . In fact, Stark has responsibility, because he created Ultron..And as far as the destruction in DC, whose technology was hijacked causing heli-carriers to crash into public works? Did cap build those??? Scarlet Witch in military manufacturing now??? So if anyone is a loose canon causing massive destruction, it's Stark. So cap freed Bucky....and Stark technology is what allowed the entire capital of Sakovia to go sub orbital. But, hey that shield is a dangerous weapon....We're going to have to put you and the rest of these rogue heroes on ice. Uh. Actually sounds a lot like the American govt. So that's pretty true to life.

What team are you on, and why? Do you support your favorite marvel hero, their standpoint or are you on the other side? (Or should this be a new thread?)

I think that Tony is aware that he is highly culpable for the destruction waged in NYC, DC, and Sokovia - especially Sokovia. He knows that the Ultron Program was a giant screw-up on his part. I think that he's championing the pro-regulation side as a sort of personal penance. People do that all the time IRL. Of course, his own hubris makes him believe that "we all need to be put in check" even though the fallout from his actions likely outweighs that of others.

As far as which team... that's tough. Depends on the extent of the regulation under the accords. Some people (Stark) need a little more oversight than others (Cap) lol

Do they ever actually mention how many bystanders died in the first 2 Avengers movies? Must be way over 100k

Do they ever actually mention how many bystanders died in the first 2 Avengers movies? Must be way over 100k

I know a risk management group assessed the reality of destruction with the first Avengers if this actually occurred. The determination was thousands of lost lives.

AVENGERS Damage To Manhattan Would Cost $160 Billion, Disaster Expert Estimates

The wreckage in Midtown Manhattan, all told, would top the financial carnage of 9/11, Hurricane Katrina and the Japanese tsunami.

In an exclusive report for THR, KAC, led by Chuck Watson and Sara Jupin, employed computer models used for predicting the destruction of nuclear weapons and concluded that the physical damage of the invasion would be $60 billion-$70 billion, with economic and cleanup costs hitting $90 billion. Add on the loss of thousands of lives, and KAC puts the overall price tag at $160 billion.

I know a risk management group assessed the reality of destruction with the first Avengers if this actually occurred. The determination was thousands of lost lives.

The wreckage in Midtown Manhattan, all told, would top the financial carnage of 9/11, Hurricane Katrina and the Japanese tsunami.

In an exclusive report for THR, KAC, led by Chuck Watson and Sara Jupin, employed computer models used for predicting the destruction of nuclear weapons and concluded that the physical damage of the invasion would be $60 billion-$70 billion, with economic and cleanup costs hitting $90 billion. Add on the loss of thousands of lives, and KAC puts the overall price tag at $160 billion.

$160 billion to save the planet...money well spent (thumbs u

(thumbs u

(thumbs u

Amateurs. That's only about a fifth of the damage caused by Superman and Zod.

(thumbs u

Superman is going to be in Captain America: Civil War, and the more realistic world impact captured in Man of Steel is going to be referenced?

:o

Because otherwise a world invasion force would start with New York. Because - you know - everything across Earth takes place due to New York's blessing.

:banana:

Civil War and Winter Soldier before it are the only flicks in Marvels line-up that make me forget about DC's offerings and I prefer DC. Both Avengers movies weren't half as good as Winter Soldier.

Winter Soldier was incredible! I really like that movie. And what a cast.

(worship)

Civil War and Winter Soldier before it are the only flicks in Marvels line-up that make me forget about DC's offerings and I prefer DC. Both Avengers movies weren't half as good as Winter Soldier.

Agreed.

The three benchmark Marvel movies are

Winter Soldier

GotG

Deadpool.

(thumbs u

Superman is going to be in Captain America: Civil War, and the more realistic world impact captured in Man of Steel is going to be referenced?

:o

Because otherwise a world invasion force would start with New York. Because - you know - everything across Earth takes place due to New York's blessing.

:banana:

I'd ask where you are from but quickly realized it is irrelevant if not from NY since I do not officially recognize any other areas.