• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America: Civil War official movie thread (5/6/16)

2,267 posts in this topic

Ant Man...is a mediocre film at best.

Wrong.

I have to agree. My wife and I both loved Ant-Man. It was a different kind of Marvel movie.

My two kids and my wife did not like it. I expected it to be weak due to the lead actor. Paul Rudd is not a strong enough presence to carry a weak concept like Ant Man.

Most people would disagree with you there.

Most? It depends on who you hang out with. Most of the people I know either did not see the movie or thought it was weak. Granted, a lot of them did not like AoU so they skipped Ant-Man, but the ones that saw it felt it was one of the weakest Marvel movies so far. The main reason - the guy who played Ant-Man.

I get what Marvel was trying to do in casting Paul Rudd - they were hoping for another Chris Pratt. Pratt just has a much better on screen presence than Rudd does.

Personally I thought Ant-Man was a wonderful movie and Paul Rudd was great in it.

(thumbs u

I also agree, I thought it was great. But it did have a very different feel to me than the other Marvel movies, so it wouldn't surprise me if someone generally likes the other ones but didn't like Ant-man. Paul Rudd was a comedian first, superhero 2nd. I know literally nothing about Scott Lang, but like Paul Rudd, so I thought it was great.

Ant Man...is a mediocre film at best.

Wrong.

I have to agree. My wife and I both loved Ant-Man. It was a different kind of Marvel movie.

My two kids and my wife did not like it. I expected it to be weak due to the lead actor. Paul Rudd is not a strong enough presence to carry a weak concept like Ant Man.

Most people would disagree with you there.

Most? It depends on who you hang out with. Most of the people I know either did not see the movie or thought it was weak. Granted, a lot of them did not like AoU so they skipped Ant-Man, but the ones that saw it felt it was one of the weakest Marvel movies so far. The main reason - the guy who played Ant-Man.

I get what Marvel was trying to do in casting Paul Rudd - they were hoping for another Chris Pratt. Pratt just has a much better on screen presence than Rudd does.

Personally I thought Ant-Man was a wonderful movie and Paul Rudd was great in it.

(thumbs u

I also agree, I thought it was great. But it did have a very different feel to me than the other Marvel movies, so it wouldn't surprise me if someone generally likes the other ones but didn't like Ant-man. Paul Rudd was a comedian first, superhero 2nd. I know literally nothing about Scott Lang, but like Paul Rudd, so I thought it was great.

I thought ant-man was a missed opportunity to do something really cool and off-beat. Think the bath tub scene with the water flowing at him. More cool scenes like that woven into an interesting storyline about life in the micro world. Avengers 93 is the best ant-man story by far imo and shows just how cool and interesting ant-man can be they should have drawn from source material and done something a little more interesting.

Instead we get a cookie cutter movie with ant-man fighting a mini foe to save his family. how typical. Very formulaic from start to finish. No doubt its a tough hero to write for but I still believe they could have done better. If not they should make him run avengers HQ in future movies and just give him bit parts helping out where a miniature sized hero would be clever in the plot line.

:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o

Apparently the airport scene is 17 minutes of the best action scene maybe in movie history.

1 billion hm

easily. the trailers makes this look like Avengers 3. the early reviews are good. IM3 did $1.3BB and was godawful. $1.2BB or better, take it to the bank. RT north of 80, Metacritic around 70. won't be much hand wringing over this one about what might have been ala BvS

:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o

Apparently the airport scene is 17 minutes of the best action scene maybe in movie history.

1 billion hm

easily. the trailers makes this look like Avengers 3. the early reviews are good. IM3 did $1.3BB and was godawful. $1.2BB or better, take it to the bank. RT north of 80, Metacritic around 70. won't be much hand wringing over this one about what might have been ala BvS

The word on the street is that this movie is the best Marvel comic book movie of all time.

Basically Avengers 1 is garbage compared to this and that is awesome.

The word on the street is that this movie is the best Marvel comic book movie of all time.

Basically Avengers 1 is garbage compared to this and that is awesome.

This is consistent with the 14 reviews posted on RT. Average review scoring 8.8 out of 10. RT critics' overall score 100%.

This one: "Captain America: Civil War feels like a pinnacle for Marvel. Like, I can’t imagine their movies getting any better. This feels like the crescendo. This feels like the movie this series has been building towards for eight years. After all these movies, Marvel earned this fight. This is the best Marvel movie so far. This is not hyperbole. I have my doubts they can make anything better. This is as close as things come to “superhero movie perfection.” This movie made me really happy."

http://uproxx.com/movies/captain-america-civil-war-review/

"The shaming of “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice” will continue apace — or better still, be forgotten entirely — in the wake of “Captain America: Civil War,” a decisively superior hero-vs.-hero extravaganza that also ranks as the most mature and substantive picture to have yet emerged from the Marvel Cinematic Universe."

http://variety.com/2016/film/reviews/captain-america-civil-war-review-1201752643/

I'm not going to read reviews, I want to go in only knowing what I've seen from the last trailer.

Last time a movie was this hyped up by the boards was Mad Max Fury Road, and it didn't live up to it.