• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America: Civil War official movie thread (5/6/16)

2,267 posts in this topic

While I started with FF during the Byrne issues and really liked it, my problem with the run is that none of the stories really stand out for me. They were all pretty good, but none of it was iconic. Similar thing for the Waid/Wieringo run in the 2000s, very high quality but very few iconic stories. Although I did really like Waid's take on Doom's origin as a young man in love and his beginnings as a sorcerer in issue 496.

http://marvel.com/images/97993#0-97993

4bc3b9614c5cd.jpg

This is a very common problem for just about ALL FF after issue 200. The only one I remember is when Invisible woman got the super sexy costume change on the hologram cover.

While I started with FF during the Byrne issues and really liked it, my problem with the run is that none of the stories really stand out for me. They were all pretty good, but none of it was iconic.

Just went looking for lists of the best FF stories and found this one:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/08/12/13-comics-to-restore-your-faith-in-the-fantastic-four?page=2

I haven't read a lot of the stories outside of the main title it references, but I do remember the "Trial of Galactus" (actually titled "the Trial of Reed Richards" because Reed had a chance to kill Galactus but let him live) from the Byrne run. Definitely a cool concept I haven't thought of in quite a while.

Interestingly that list chose the Waid "Unthinkable" story I linked above as the third-best FF story ever. I agree with that, as well as with their pick of the 48 to 50 Galactus trilogy as the best story.

ff262.jpg

This is a very common problem for just about ALL FF after issue 200.

I might knock that as far back as issue 60.

I barley remermber now, but I enjoyed the Namor stuff in the 100's, and The solo Thing adventure in the 160's.

I'm sure there was a few other things. Stan Lee is actually my favorite FF writer, so the early part of the 100's was still strong.

This is a very common problem for just about ALL FF after issue 200.

I might knock that as far back as issue 60.

I barley remermber now, but I enjoyed the Namor stuff in the 100's, and The solo Thing adventure in the 160's.

I'm sure there was a few other things. Stan Lee is actually my favorite FF writer, so the early part of the 100's was still strong.

Yea, plenty of sporadic good issues, just not a lot of great ones. Enough to feed future movie scripts though.

While I started with FF during the Byrne issues and really liked it, my problem with the run is that none of the stories really stand out for me. They were all pretty good, but none of it was iconic.

Just went looking for lists of the best FF stories and found this one:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/08/12/13-comics-to-restore-your-faith-in-the-fantastic-four?page=2

I haven't read a lot of the stories outside of the main title it references, but I do remember the "Trial of Galactus" (actually titled "the Trial of Reed Richards" because Reed had a chance to kill Galactus but let him live) from the Byrne run. Definitely a cool concept I haven't thought of in quite a while.

ff262.jpg

As a young teen, as much as I loved ASM, Cap, DD, X-Men, NTT and pretty much anything Pacific Comics and First Comics was publishing, the Byrne FF run was what I looked forward to the most at the LCS. I thought the stories and art were on another level. I can't remember the stories that well, not because they weren't memorable, but because it's been 35 years or so since I flipped through them.

...they peaked in the late 60s and have been relatively irrelevant since then.

JOHN BYRNE!

After the X-Men, it was all downhill for him........

Delete your account, son. You've cracked.

Byrne's pinnacle was with the X-Men, and it was a slow spiral downward from there. His FF run does not stand out other than it was better than the FF stories preceding it which was not difficult to do since that stuff was so bad, and his subsequent work at DC was weaker as well.

lol

Paul Rudd Doesn't Take It Well When Fans Pick Iron Man Over Captain America

Loss of dignity, pride, and a shocking lack of values are all things that one should feel for picking #TeamIronMan in Captain America: Civil War. Those, however, have nothing on the sheer disgust that Ant-Man actor Paul Rudd will have for you via Twitter.

In the big promotional push for Civil War, if you've selected either #TeamCap or #TeamIronMan you will get one of a variety of responses, but Paul Rudd has made his personal, and they're priceless. Those include him telling Ian and Vanessa that "they are now dead to him", as well as asking Nate "how many other horrible decisions he's made in his life." His answer, "probably a lot."

Darn Facebook videos.

I think FF 232 to about 290 are almost all great reading. Not to mention the Annual with the Skull cows. Come on who didn't like that one. :baiting:

Not to mention FF 285. One of the most heartbreaking FF stories of all time.

...they peaked in the late 60s and have been relatively irrelevant since then.

JOHN BYRNE!

After the X-Men, it was all downhill for him........

Delete your account, son. You've cracked.

Byrne's pinnacle was with the X-Men, and it was a slow spiral downward from there. His FF run does not stand out other than it was better than the FF stories preceding it which was not difficult to do since that stuff was so bad, and his subsequent work at DC was weaker as well.

I agree. Looking at FF 232 the pencils are still tight, by the 250's they are much sketchier. Writing the stories no doubt took time away from his pencils. Would have been better served to have someone else write as his stories were not great for the most part imo. Of course being a big fan of Lee/Kirby FF probably makes me appreciate Byrnes work less as it falls pretty far short of the masters.

Taken from the recently released Captain America 75th Anniversary Magazine, we now have some concept art featuring T'Challa which gives us a really detailed glimpse at his suit. In case you can't read what artist Ryan Meinerding says below, he explains: "The overall concept is that it’s a woven suit- on a more granular level, there is Vibranium woven into the fabric. This Vibranium thread would provide a silver sheen so that when it catches the light, it would glisten a bit. From there we tried to create a design language for patterns to fit very subtly into the hard Vibranium pieces that are woven through the suit."

Screen-Shot-2016-04-17-at-8.17.04-AM-600x1002.png

Screen-Shot-2016-04-17-at-8.17.21-AM-600x1008.png

Screen-Shot-2016-04-17-at-8.17.49-AM.png

Screen-Shot-2016-04-17-at-9.33.49-AM.png

I like it!

:whee:

"This video is private."

Looks like Marvel or Audi shut down the profile that copied the advertisement. Try it now and see if it works.

They actually made the commercial part of the movie story. I like that.