• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America: Civil War official movie thread (5/6/16)

2,267 posts in this topic

DC KNEW that they were trying something in their second movie that Marvel was trying in their 13th movie, and that they would be directly compared, and they did it anyways. Some might call it brave. Some might call it something else...

Kevin Tsujihara most probably realized Warner Bros. blew so many chances to create something bigger, and didn't. So since he is being evaluated on his impact on the company balance sheet rather quickly, he took a risk (as you pointed out). Time will tell as the DCCU expands out how successful this risk may be.

So far, the movie has done $830 MM, has introduced the overall market to a new Batman and a solid Wonder Woman portrayal, and so much more is coming.

I do hope for a continuously successful Marvel Studios, a much more solid DC/Warner, and even more cinematic universes from Dark Horse, Valiant and others. They all help each other through experience to determine what works and doesn't work.

Im looking forward to the SvB lovers with a chip on their shoulder from critic lambasting coming into the thread and complaining about how bad the movie is... (regardless of how good/bad it is)...

In the event that does happen, we should consider this "the opening of the gate" ;)

In all seriousness, I don't see why there should be warring camps (shrug) I'm not a big Marvel fan but I want to go see Civil War. From the trailer, it looked like an enjoyable movie. I'll judge it on its own merit...

Im looking forward to the SvB lovers with a chip on their shoulder from critic lambasting coming into the thread and complaining about how bad the movie is... (regardless of how good/bad it is)...

In the event that does happen, we should consider this "the opening of the gate" ;)

In all seriousness, I don't see why there should be warring camps (shrug) I'm not a big Marvel fan but I want to go see Civil War. From the trailer, it looked like an enjoyable movie. I'll judge it on its own merit...

In reality, I don't think there are 'warring camps', or if there are, they might be more vocal but in reality they don't make up a large segment of any population.

I would say these are the two more likely camps:

Camp 1: People who hated BVS and think people could not POSSIBLY LOVE IT without being a DC SHILL/Marvel Hater

Camp 2: People who loved BVS and think people could not POSSIBLY HATE it without being a MARVEL SHILL/DC Hater.

But in reality those camps (while possibly more vocal), are probably smaller than anyone thinks, and their opposition is probably smaller than anyone thinks too.

Similar to politics, most people fall into the more reasonable, less vocal, middle. Most just want to watch a good movie and have some fun, not necessarily in that order, and of course that happens differently for different people.

...But in reality those camps (while possibly more vocal), are probably smaller than anyone thinks, and their opposition is probably smaller than anyone thinks too...

I think you're probably right.

What about the people who hated it because they thought it sucked?

I would assume that's the reason for most people who hated it, not because they're Marvel shills.

Yeah, I wanted it to be great because even though I'm firmly in the Marvel playground, I want DC to have just as much success as Marvel. In the end, don't we all just want enjoyable movies? Which unfortunately, BvS was not in my books.

Exactly. Give me entertaining things to watch that are original and witty. You listen to the Internet, you are going to be mislead and turned around. Go see a movie. Like it or don't. You made a crappy movie? Get over it, you aren't alone and sometimes you have to make a lot of carp before something good happens. Most of all, you made a pile of poo? What did you LEARN? That people are stupid or hey, maybe I screwed something up through interpretation.

I would assume that's the reason for most people who hated it, not because they're Marvel shills.

Hating something because you thought it genuinely sucked is truly the most noble form of hatred :cloud9:

Hating something because you thought it genuinely sucked is truly the most noble form of hatred :cloud9:

Should be the only form. Opinion carries too much gravitas these days. Which is astounding when you take the thought to a conclusion

Im looking forward to the SvB lovers with a chip on their shoulder from critic lambasting coming into the thread and complaining about how bad the movie is... (regardless of how good/bad it is).

Im looking forward to seeing the movie, since the Captain America titles have had the best track record so far IMHO (thought both were great).

Im looking forward to someone posting conspiracy theories if the CW critic reviews are good as opposed to the bad SvB reviews (Marvel MUST be paying them off right?)

off topic-ish... Anyone ever listen to the Comic Geek Speak podcast? They had a recurring call in character know as "Drunk Cap" who would call in every now and then... I miss that guy...

I listen to their "highlight on..." series. Very solid podcasts!

I never thought I would see the Vision on the Big Screen or for that matter Black Panther.

Exactly!

So many of us talked about these times as kids. Now we get to take our kids to see these films.

:whee:

tumblr_o3edj7MTd41rciawbo1_500.gif

Useless things I'm excited about in this movie

1. Vision's sweater game

2. Scarlet Witch digging Vision's sweater game.

3. Pushing Sharon Carter as a love interest while acknowledging she's related to Peggy Carter (not because I like that sort of thing, I just want to see if they can do it without it being weird).

4. Funny Ant-Man stuff.

5. Whatever Hulk is doing in the credits

What about the people who are just getting tired of super hero movies?

It's bound to happen considering it's everywhere on TV, streaming, movies...

What about the people who are just getting tired of super hero movies?

It's bound to happen considering it's everywhere on TV, streaming, movies...

We shall sponsor the Twilight Franchise Channel for them, which will be run 24 x 7.

But seriously, if TV and movie productions focus also on the non-superhero stories, they will find the depth and breadth to be entertaining for many.

- Grimjack

- Rocketeer

- The Shadow

- Jon Sable

There are so many characters and stories to focus on.