• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America: Civil War official movie thread (5/6/16)

2,267 posts in this topic

I can see Disney/Marvel screwing up the attempts at trying a bit of a darker approach to parts of the film. They do humorous and light well, but struggle with doing more serious films. It has been that way for a while. They cater to the pre-teen crowd with their other movies so it makes sense the Marvel films follow suit.

BOX OFFICE: CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR Taking Aim At A Massive $175+ Million Debut

Captain America: Civil War is set to be released on May 6th, and The Hollywood Reporter has revealed that the first Phase 3 movie is on course to set the North American box office on fire with an opening weekend of over $175 million. Those are pretty conservative figures too as the trade points out that it could very well reach the $200 million mark. Of course, if we've learned anything where Marvel is concerned, it's that they should never be underestimated, so don't be surprised to see Civil War far exceed expectations, especially with it opening internationally in many territories this month.

To the reviewer's credit, he does praise what he likes in the film and also said he was a huge fan of Winter Soldier. (I like reviews where the critic can see -- and discuss -- the pluses and minuses of a film rather than paint everything with one brush.) It feels a little odd that the film becomes "average" for him only because he found the ending "toothless", but hey, the ending matters.

I've noticed with many reviews -- both positive and negative -- that the final score/grade didn't seem to fit with the prose that was written. This critic's overall prose felt more like a B or B- to me. Must be hard for critics to boil down their nuanced ideas about an art form to a single number or letter.

Dan

He gave it a "C" rating. According to my 6th grade teacher that gets me into 7th grade :applause:

I enjoyed reading the comments section lol.

Which is the age level that Disney aims its movies at. ;)

All will be fine. This looks like it will be a fun movie. Hopefully it does not suffer from some of the issues that AoU did.

He doesn't like it because it was supposed to change the Marvel Universe?

Who said that? The director hyping the movie in an interview somewhere?

That shouldn't take away from the movie itself.

I can't wait.

This is going to kill it at the box office.

DC was smart to blink and change their opening date.

Even as recent as 5 or 6 years ago, I would have thought there was no way that a Captain America & Iron Man feature would out-perform a Superman - Batman movie.

Unbelievable.

History does repeat itself. Marvel rules.

I wonder if it hurt when his inner child finally died.

I saw that review over at rotten Tomatoes.

1 bad review out of 18 total.

Not too shabby; though I'm sure there'll be more.

Can't please everyone.

Civil War title probably implies that.

Why won't people just say the real truth. Since Avengers, they been drawing out the arrival of Thanos.

If you ask me, we should have had Thanos show up already but Disney saw the money in Avengers and decided to milk this cow for as much as possible.

How has the MCU evolved with it's core characters since Avengers?

The only one that has was Winter Soldier.

Iron Man 3, Thor 2, Age of Ultron were unnecessary in terms of advancing the story from Avengers, GOTG

I can't wait.

This is going to kill it at the box office.

DC was smart to blink and change their opening date.

Even as recent as 5 or 6 years ago, I would have thought there was no way that a Captain America & Iron Man feature would out-perform a Superman - Batman movie.

Unbelievable.

History does repeat itself. Marvel rules.

These are great movies with CA ad IM. Superman vs Batman was a turd.

Why won't people just say the real truth. Since Avengers, they been drawing out the arrival of Thanos.

If you ask me, we should have had Thanos show up already but Disney saw the money in Avengers and decided to milk this cow for as much as possible.

Iron Man 3, Thor 2, Age of Ultron were unnecessary in terms of advancing the story from Avengers, GOTG

Agreed

In IM3 Tony Stark suffers from PTSD after the Battle in New York and subsequently destroys his Iron Man suits. He has the shrapnel removed from his chest and promises Pepper to change his ways.

In Thor 2, Loki convinces everyone he's dead, then takes control of Asgard's throne under the guise of Odin.

In Cap2, S.H.I.E.L.D. is compromised and left in disarray while Fury appears to die and covertly returns. Cap is left to question his role in this new age.

In Avengers 2, Stark reneges on his promise to Pepper along with inadvertently jeopardizing humanity through his creation of Ultron.

Thor becomes aware Asgard is in danger.

A relationship develops between Natasha and Banner. Banner leaves the Avengers.

The rift between Rogers and Stark grows, setting up Civil War.

New gems get introduced throughout the movies.

Other than that, along the introduction of six new characters, (Falcon, Winter Soldier,Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, Vision & Ant-Man) - nothing has happened. :)