• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question on collector’s thought process when buying at Cons

15 posts in this topic

As a collector/buyer at a Con, what would be a more desirable product coming from an artist?

1.) A quality printed hardcover book of the artist’s work that is approximately 100 pgs and would sell for about $75-$100.

or

2.) A Convention only full color comic limited to about 50-100 print run that is about 24 pages that contains a quarter of the material of the hardcover. The other ¾ would come out in separate “issues” at a later date. These would sell for $10-$15 apiece.

The reason I’m asking is that I believe that option two would be more desirable to Con attendees while the artist I know is strongly pushing for the first option, mainly because they believe in a “quality, respectable product” as opposed to a “cheap comic”….

Just curious as to what others thought…

Thanks!

Books are heavy, no one wants to carry that around. I'd rather buy on Amazon and have it delivered to my door.

Would the artist take payment and ship the book to my address? That would be a huge incentive ,for me.

I did think about the "heavy book" scenario. I'll put that on the list.

Ordering and shipping wouldn't be a problem (and would be more convenient ) but I thought most people would want their purchase on the spot so to speak and be signed. Any ordered books most likely would be shipped directly from the on demand printers.

Is cost a big concern? I just thought a more cost friendly product would be able to reach a wider audience than a higher priced item.

Option #2 is more attractive as a passing customer. Mostly because with option #1 $75 - $100 is a decent chunk of fun money to leave at one table if there are lots of other artists / stalls to see, so it's the kind of thing I might pass on initially and think about coming back later for... menaing everywhere else gets a chance at a sale first or I might get caught up in one or two queues and run out of time.

Also would the hardcover contain new content, previously unpublished stuff, prelims, an interview? Is it likely that fans would already own most of what is in the hardcover? Both options would struggle to get my interest if there wasn't any new content or something more interesting about them... you know, different from the usual reused cover transformed into a B&W sketch variant with a couple of logos thrown onto it.

I know most things have been done before but as an example I really liked what was done for Five Ghosts SDCC 2013. New art, virgin cover... they look really nice and catch the eye.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6967009

Option #2 is more attractive as a passing customer. Mostly because with option #1 $75 - $100 is a decent chunk of fun money to leave at one table if there are lots of other artists / stalls to see, so it's the kind of thing I might pass on initially and think about coming back later for... menaing everywhere else gets a chance at a sale first or I might get caught up in one or two queues and run out of time.

Also would the hardcover contain new content, previously unpublished stuff, prelims, an interview? Is it likely that fans would already own most of what is in the hardcover? Both options would struggle to get my interest if there wasn't any new content or something more interesting about them... you know, different from the usual reused cover transformed into a B&W sketch variant with a couple of logos thrown onto it.

I know most things have been done before but as an example I really liked what was done for Five Ghosts SDCC 2013. New art, virgin cover... they look really nice and catch the eye.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6967009

Thanks! These are some good thoughts!

Yes it would be mostly new content. The idea of the number two method would be having a four "issue" series (sold at cons only) that would later on be compiled into a larger trade book to be sold to the public.

Well the artist would make seven times more money (gross) by option #1.

I'd rather have #1, but with a twist...leave a blank page in the book for a sketch and a signature. I'd happily pay $100 if the book had a signed convention sketch...even if the artist did the sketch days in advance and signed it after I picked out the one I wanted.

Well the artist would make seven times more money (gross) by option #1.

I'd rather have #1, but with a twist...leave a blank page in the book for a sketch and a signature. I'd happily pay $100 if the book had a signed convention sketch...even if the artist did the sketch days in advance and signed it after I picked out the one I wanted.

It seems that the margin for profit might not be that high. It may cost 30-40 to print (with hardcover and dust jacket). Comic would cost $5 or less....

I would do both. If it is an artist I loved then I would by the book. If it is an artist I respect I would buy the comic.

Personally I am a big fan of books, so the artist can put a big ol' sketch in it for me. (or sometimes my sketchbook) I have a nice collection of signed books that I prize over my comics.

I am always going to choose a complete book over a single issue.

Option 1. Especially if it is a special con variant. Like a HC when only a TPB will be released through Diamond (drool!) Or a fancy embossed cover, while the mass market one is plain.

And as others have said. leave a blank page suitable for signatures and sketches.

The general public seems to gravitate towards Option 2 for the "con variant" but I've never been a fan.