• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First Comic(s) You Read Before Collecting?

64 posts in this topic

One of my older cousins collected comics and I started cause of him when I was around 6 or 7 years old. Since I was basically collecting what he did, I read Spider-Man. The first issue I remember was Amazing 181. I can remember when my entire collection fit inside of a Cheerios box (which is what I originally used to carry them around in). I sort of remember having Spider-man issues from the Amazing, Super Stories, PP Spectacular and maybe Marvel Tales lines. At the time, they were all just "Spider-Man" comics. I used to get confused as to why the numbering was so different, why the stories did not flow between issues and why the "Super Stores" were so much easier to read! :)

I have an older sister (by 2 years) that bought Archies, Richie Rich, Casper, Hot Stuff etc. that I read and enjoyed but these were among the very first comics that I called my own. Funny as I never thought of myself as collecting them as opposed to just keeping what was mine in a box. I mean I "collected" coins and stamps, who collects comics? I just had a bunch in a box, drawer, cabinet, closet... :blush:

First.jpg

I'm impressed so many can remember the exact comic they first read ( or perhaps it's recall reading). I guess with superhero books that might be easier, the Harvey's I read are all just a blur to me. I do have fragments of memories of some Marvel and DC books I read before being a collector, but the one that really got me excited about superhero books was Captain America 111. The psychedelic cover art grabbed my eye. I would have been 9 at the time. After that I became a Marvel Zombie.

I can recall being a big fan of the Batman TV show when it was on, but it didn't prompt me to read Batman comic books at the time.

I'm impressed so many can remember the exact comic they first read ( or perhaps it's recall reading). I guess with superhero books that might be easier, the Harvey's I read are all just a blur to me. I do have fragments of memories of some Marvel and DC books I read before being a collector, but the one that really got me excited about superhero books was Captain America 111. The psychedelic cover art grabbed my eye. I would have been 9 at the time. After that I became a Marvel Zombie.

I can recall being a big fan of the Batman TV show when it was on, but it didn't prompt me to read Batman comic books at the time.

you may bring up a good point here as I personally probably did read various Looney Tunes or other comics prior to ASM 77. Perhaps I read the question wrong or subconsciously ignored those as at that age, I didn't think of them as "comic books" but fluff (not to offend fans of those types). The art, story, and cover made an impression that inspired later collecting.

I remember that Fantastic 1 was definitely the first comic book I ever saw, given to me by my parents when I was between 3 and 4 years of age. Maybe though I was focusing on the pretty pictures more than comprehending the text? :)

I stumbled on this thread- so I'll play along- copied below is my want list from CAF- it details the first dozen or so comics I ever had. I'm fortunate to own some original art from a number of these books- most notably MTU #11 and JLA #110. Collecting the art to the books you most cherish is the ultimate collecting goal IMO.

HERES A LINK TO MY CAF page:

My CAF gallery

Marvel Team Up #11

Jim Mooney/Esposito. This was the first comic I ever had. I'm looking to complete the book. I'm missing 4 pages!!!!!

Justice League of America (JLA) #110

This was the first DC book I ever read. A 100 pager. This was a Christmas story titled " The Man Who Murdered Santa Claus" by Dillin/Giordano. I'm especially looking for the last page where The Red Tornado is given his new costume by Black Canary.

Captain America #156, #201, #206, #211

Sal Buscema/McLaughlan./Kirby Looking for any pages.

Marvel Spotlight #24

Sal Buscema/MCCleod. Son Of Satan vs. Satana! Any pages.

Defenders #39

Sal Buscema/Janson. Any pages.

Superman #233 & #270

Curt Swan, Murphy Anderson ANY panel page

Green Lantern/Green Arrow #108

Grell, with Vosburg BU story, any page!

Detective #465

Ernie Chua/Giacoa Any pages

G.I. Combat #201

Glanzman.Estrada,Calman,Cruz,Ayers Looking for ANY page from any artist from this book.

Marvel Premiere #37

Jim Craig This is the 3-D Man issue, any page.

X-Men (vol1) #64

Heck/Palmer Looking for any pages

Avengers #156

(Sal Buscema/Pablo Marcos) Looking for ANY panel page from this issue.,

Thor #261

Walt Simonson and Ernie Chua. Looking for any panel pages from this issue, will trade other Simonson for same.

Tales of Suspense #80

ANY pages by Kirby or Colan, I realize this is the most expensive book on my list, thank god it's the only twice-up art book on my want list. I have 2 Iron man pages, but not a Kirby page. I would trade A LOT to get any more.

Amazing Spiderman #154 & #172

Andru/Giacoia sanman gets a new costume and yeah, the stupid Rocket Racer issue. Just one page of each

Hulk #228- Moonstone!

In the early 60s, I was fortunate to live next door to a family that had a mom-and-pop corner store. The kids would bring home all the comics to read and return them. I got to read most of the early Marvels. It wasn't until college that I caught the comic collecting bug. I happened to go by Bob Sidebottom's Comic Collector Shop and got hooked.

ASM #347 was the first comic I ever owned. I didn't really start collecting until Uncanny X-men #300 came out and the new X-Men series.

Collected every wolverine and x-men comic I could get my hands on for a few years, a few image titles as well, mostly Gen-13 and Maxx and then just stopped going to the LCS one day in '97 and never looked at comics again until Oct/13.

Now filling spots I had missed and collecting yellow labels

My older brother (who is 7 years my senior) was an avid Superman fan and had several Superman comics and a few other DC titles. By the time I was 5 years old I began to take notice of his comics. For some reason a Metal Men #14 really caught my eye. I couldn't quite read yet and my mother was fond of reading books to me, so I took this book and had my mother read it to me. I was hooked on the Metal Men and comics from then on. I had my Mom order me a subscription to the Metal Men and the first book that came was issue #22. I have been reading and collecting comic books since.

NC1L0Un.jpggaG8bTA.jpg

My older brother (who is 7 years my senior) was an avid Superman fan and had several Superman comics and a few other DC titles. By the time I was 5 years old I began to take notice of his comics. For some reason a Metal Men #14 really caught my eye. I couldn't quite read yet and my mother was fond of reading books to me, so I took this book and had my mother read it to me. I was hooked on the Metal Men and comics from then on. I had my Mom order me a subscription to the Metal Men and the first book that came was issue #22. I have been reading and collecting comic books since.

NC1L0Un.jpggaG8bTA.jpg

.....DC had some really bizarre material coming out back then ...... Metamorpho, Challengers, etc...... Action Comics 344 (I think)....with the dream cover and the diamond dude is forever etched in my mind.... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I was born in 1964. My first pre-collector comic was TV Casper and Company # 20 cover dated November 1968. I can remember thumbing through it in our car in a parking lot of a furniture store.

It was the beginning of a lifelong love of comics.

photo TVCASPER20.jpg

The first Marvel hero I fell in love with was the Hulk

One day I came across The Defenders 16 and I remember being very excited to see that the Hulk was in a Super Group. The next thought I had was how did I miss the first 15 issues??

That was the Book that pulled me into collecting. I still love that cover. :cloud9:

The first and most impressionalble book I remember owning and reading is Marvel Two-In-One #1. I was 5, and that classic fight cover between the Thing and the Man-Thing was s beautiful to me. The image of the Thing's fist punching through the body of the Man-Thing was so incredibly cool. Mom bought it for me in the grocery store when I was sick. I still have it...stapled a number of times in the spine :D I bet I read it at least a 100 times...

NC1L0Un.jpggaG8bTA.jpg

.....DC had some really bizarre material coming out back then ...... Metamorpho, Challengers, etc...... Action Comics 344 (I think)....with the dream cover and the diamond dude is forever etched in my mind.... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I've always had a soft spot for the oddball DC SA stuff. Even when I was a kid in the early 70s and was mostly interested in picking up SA Marvel at cons, I would buy stuff like Metal Men, Metamorpho and The Geek. Of course first appearances were about a dollar and later issues maybe a quarter for much of that stuff, so it was cheap to do so.