• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Donald Duck Tells About Kites" ~ 1954 Carl Barks ~ P.G.& E. Ashcan or reprint?

10 posts in this topic

Weird! I know there are multiple printings and I'm definitely not an expert on this book (hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me can chime in) but every copy I've ever seen has always been in color. No clue what that is.. Looks too old to be a reprint..

Whoa Nelly. If that's an ashcan it would be worth...I don't know...at least two times what it sold for. I myself have a check made out in advance for $501, just waiting to put the lucky guy's name in. :baiting:

Nice pickup on the part of the buyer. Eyes wide open!

Two observations:

1. I haven't owned a copy of this book in over 25 years so my memory may be off, but the large staple in the center of the book is not how I remember the color version. If I remember correctly the pages are glued together with no staple.

2. The artwork is very fuzzy - like a bad photocopy. Again, I don't remember the color version looking so poorly printed. I'm not sure how this was accomplished if it was done in 1954. Many giveaways actually had superior printing than regular edition comics.

My guess is not an ashcan but maybe a proof copy for fact checking, etc.

Two observations:

1. I haven't owned a copy of this book in over 25 years so my memory may be off, but the large staple in the center of the book is not how I remember the color version. If I remember correctly the pages are glued together with no staple.

2. The artwork is very fuzzy - like a bad photocopy. Again, I don't remember the color version looking so poorly printed. I'm not sure how this was accomplished if it was done in 1954. Many giveaways actually had superior printing than regular edition comics.

My guess is not an ashcan but maybe a proof copy for fact checking, etc.

There are also lines added to the roof in the first panel. It almost looks like it was traced from a color version and then poorly printed with no copyright or publisher info.

I was the buyers. But I backed out. Item is not an original PG&E copy.

I bought from my iPhone in the sun, hoping to downgrade my copy and free up $500. I couldn't tell it was a black & white reproduction until I got back on a real computer.

I have seen / heard about these before. I believe they date from the early 1970s, and are a fan produced reproduction copy.

David

San_Onofre_collection

Owner:

PG&E file copy

Copy of SCE variant

"Generic" variant Western File copy