• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Appearance of The Hobgoblin

17 posts in this topic

Not sure how this book has been left untouched for so long but Spectacular Spider-Man 43 features the first appearance of Roderick Kingsley, who currently is and originally was the Hobgoblin. Roger Stern, who created Hobby, has stated in interviews that Kingsley was intended to be the Hobgoblin from the very beginning. Spectacular 43 coincidently was Stern's first time writing a Spiderman book. It got convoluted after Stern left the ASM, but he was able to rectify the situation in the Hobgoblin Lives mini-series, where it was revealed that Kingsley was the guy and Ned Leeds wasn't.

Growing up in the 80's, the Hobgoblin was the main reason I kept reading ASM. The mystery of who was behind the mask was highly entertaining. With Marvel currently still pushing out new stories with Kinglsey as the Hobgoblin, I feel this book still has relevancy.

p.s. If you look at the way they depict Kingsley in Spectacular 43, you wouldn't have guessed he would be the guy behind the mask, but Stern himself has said many did.

I thought the new Hobgoblin (the Urich kid) killed Kingsley recently.....?? As for the 1st app. question, Kingsley doesn't become the Hobgoblin until ASM #238. He works with Belladonna and is a fashion designer in PPTSSM #43. As far as we know he has no thought s of being the goblin at this point.

Still doesn't alter the fact that the first app of the Hobgoblin is ASM 238

^^ re: Carol Danvers/Ms. Marvel, Eddie Brock/Venom, Jim Rhodes/War Machine, etc.

Well, I'm not sure that's his point (although it IS the title of his thread) . . . :grin:

Yeah youre right...I guess reading the title and then reading his post, my first impression was that he was implying that PPSSM 43 should be considered the 1st Hobby. But re-reading it (and your post), I now see his point that it actually has never been a relevant book as the examples I brought up.

And yes...they were great stories and kept me glued to ASMs to find out the real identity of Hobgoblin.

(thumbs u

Edited by akaSteveRogers

Still doesn't alter the fact that the first app of the Hobgoblin is ASM 238

^^ re: Carol Danvers/Ms. Marvel, Eddie Brock/Venom, Jim Rhodes/War Machine, etc.

That one would be a much better example if Eddie Brock made even a single appearance before bonding with the symbiote. :baiting:

Not that I don't agree with yall, but there is a shift currently where the first appearance of the person, not their alter ego is picking up a bit. Maybe that's why the OP thought it was more relevant today.

Avengers 181 Scott lang

MSH 13

Just a couple of books that never really mattered until recently. Again im not agreeing, but the market is putting value on these books. If hobby ever got super hot again, I could see PP43 getting an uptick., if its Kingsley of course.

Not that I don't agree with yall, but there is a shift currently where the first appearance of the person, not their alter ego is picking up a bit. Maybe that's why the OP thought it was more relevant today.

Avengers 181 Scott lang

MSH 13

Just a couple of books that never really mattered until recently. Again im not agreeing, but the market is putting value on these books. If hobby ever got super hot again, I could see PP43 getting an uptick., if its Kingsley of course.

Yep, I think relevance was his point in the first place.

Yes, I didn't want to convey that SSM 43 should be worth more than ASM 238. In no way should that ever be the case, but the fact that such a popular villains first appearance without the costume has been dollar bin fodder for years means either people were unaware or just didn't care.

Yes, I didn't want to convey that SSM 43 should be worth more than ASM 238. In no way should that ever be the case, but the fact that such a popular villains first appearance without the costume has been dollar bin fodder for years means either people were unaware or just didn't care.

Well, another possibility is that most folks simply don't see the link between the character in PPtSS 43 to that in ASM 238. Don't forget, the Hobby we all came to love in ASM 238 and subsequent issues was revealed to be Ned Leeds, and not Roderick Kingsley so to me, there is a bit of a disconnect, regardless of the wonderful work Mssrs Stern & Frenz (and Perez) achieved with the Hobgoblin Lives mini-series.

At that point, it was too little, too late.

Still, I am very happy to see people still have an interest in ASM 238 & Hobby in general. I think the mystery of his identity kept readers guessing & coming back to the title for years. I know I looked forward to every Hobby appearance and I hope interest in this character increases over time.

Unfortunately, the Hobgoblin became a mess after Stern left Spidey. Hobgoblin Lives revealed the truth, but still couldn't fix the damage done to the character. Not to mention the return of the original Green Goblin by the time Hobgoblin Lives hit the stands.

I think DeFalco filled in admirably, and would have done a great job concluding the identity reveal of Hobgoblin. He would have done a nice misdirection with the Leeds/Kingsley, instead of Stern's original Rod/Dan Kingsley misdirection.

It was Owlsey that screwed it up. So anti-climatic with the Spidey vs Wolverine one shot.

doh!

Edited by akaSteveRogers