• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Team Up #1 x500

76 posts in this topic

and MTU #1 is actually extremely rare when compared to NM#98

lol

In which universe?

Our Universe?

From the CGC census:

MTU 1

604 total CGC graded copies

3 @ 9.8

8 @ 9.6

59 @ 9.4

11.5% of the graded copies of MTU 1 are NM or better. 1/2 of one percent are 9.8

New Mutants 98

5821 total CGC graded copies

1 @ 10

8 @ 9.9

1432 @ 9.8

1622 @ 9.6

848 @ 9.4

Not only are the almost 10x more CGC graded NM 98 than MTU 1, 67% of the graded NM 98's are 9.4 or better. 25% are 9.8 or better.

I think that counts as MTU 1 being extremely rare compared to NM 98

Edited by Tony S

lol

In which universe?

Our Universe?

From the CGC census:

MTU 1

3 @ 9.8

8 @ 9.6

59 @ 9.4

11.5% of the graded copies of MTU 1 are NM or better. 1/2 of one percent are 9.8

New Mutants 98

1 @ 10

8 @ 9.9

1432 @ 9.8

1622 @ 9.6

848 @ 9.4

Not only are the almost 10x more CGC graded NM 98 than MTU 1, 67% of the graded NM 98's are 9.4 or better. 25% are 9.8 or better.

oh sure, bring facts into the discussion :baiting:

lol

In which universe?

Our Universe?

From the CGC census:

MTU 1

3 @ 9.8

8 @ 9.6

59 @ 9.4

New Mutants 98

1 @ 10

8 @ 9.9

1432 @ 9.8

1622 @ 9.6

848 @ 9.4

NM #98 has much more demand. Supply and Demand.

There are plenty of modern comic books with low prints under 10,000, but nobody wants to pay for more then cover price for them because there is low demand for them.

An example more people want Spawn #1 then Spawn #246.

Spawn #1 has a print run in the millions, while #246 couldn't`t break 14,000.

Sometimes demand is a bigger factor then supply.

lol

In which universe?

Our Universe?

From the CGC census:

MTU 1

3 @ 9.8

8 @ 9.6

59 @ 9.4

New Mutants 98

1 @ 10

8 @ 9.9

1432 @ 9.8

1622 @ 9.6

848 @ 9.4

NM #98 has much more demand. Supply and Demand.

There are plenty of modern comic books with low prints under 10,000, but nobody wants to pay for more then cover price for them because there is low demand for them.

An example more people want Spawn #1 then Spawn #246.

Spawn #1 has a print run in the millions, while #246 couldn't`t break 14,000.

Sometimes demand is a bigger factor then supply.

I don't disagree at all that there is much more demand. But these two books illustrate supply and demand very, very well.

We agree that NM 98 has way more demand. But there are VASTLY more copies. The result? MTU 1 is actually worth more in the NM grades

GPA for MTU

9.4 last sale $526

9.6 last sale $895

9.8 - only one sale ever (only 3 exist) $5,000

I'm using "last sale" on MTU 1 because so few NM or better copies get sold. Only three recorded sales of 9.4 the last 12 months, only one 9.6 in in the last 18 months and the only 9.8 recorded ever sold was 2008. The 90 day average for NM 98 would be more reflective since 100's of copies change hands monthly. But I'll use the last sale to be consistent.

GPA for New Mutants 98

9.4 last sale $375

9.6 last sale $401

9.8 last sale $800

No one should contest that NM 98 has tons of demand. If not for lots of demand this common as grass book wouldn't be worth crapola. But there exists significant demand for MTU 1 and it is massively less available in true NM grades. So - supply and demand at work - it's worth much more. In the case of 9.8 like 6x more.

BTW, just in case anyone checks my numbers. That MTU 1 9.8 recorded as sold for $103 is a goof. If you run the serial number, it's issue 150. Which explains who autographed the book

Edited by Tony S

Just think, all 500 of those books add up to only $100 at original cover price. What could $100 buy you in 1972? Here's something to compare to.............

Someone offered me a decent (mid grade by today's standards) copy of Fantastic Four #1 for $5 in 1972. I thought that was a ridiculous price to pay for an old comic and declined, ha, what a (spoon) I was!

lol

In which universe?

Our Universe?

From the CGC census:

MTU 1

3 @ 9.8

8 @ 9.6

59 @ 9.4

New Mutants 98

1 @ 10

8 @ 9.9

1432 @ 9.8

1622 @ 9.6

848 @ 9.4

(thumbs u

I really hate it when people hoard EXTREME multiple copies of books. Why would anyone need 500 copies of a comic i will never know. It's not even an isolated case. We all know Cal and his IMSM 1 fetish and i bet there are hundreds of people who hoard copies of various books. Two, three, ten. Fine. 500? doh!

MTU #1 , I was thinking about getting one of those but not anymore, I will just stick to my golden age stuff

Why wouldn't you want it because someone has 500 copies? It's not an expensive book and the black cover makes it tough in high grade.

I really hate it when people hoard EXTREME multiple copies of books. Why would anyone need 500 copies of a comic i will never know. It's not even an isolated case. We all know Cal and his IMSM 1 fetish and i bet there are hundreds of people who hoard copies of various books. Two, three, ten. Fine. 500? doh!

MTU #1 , I was thinking about getting one of those but not anymore, I will just stick to my golden age stuff

Why wouldn't you want it because someone has 500 copies? It's not an expensive book and the black cover makes it tough in high grade.

While I cannot answer for the individual to whom this question was posed, here is one (of many) answers to your question:

A lot of collectors are attracted to the mystique of owning something that is thought to be important, valuable, and difficult to find. Once an item is shown to be in great supply (especially in the hands of just one other collector) the item's luster is somewhat diminished.

This has always been my theory as to why so few speculators use the census regularly. When you start to show someone just how many (or even how few in some cases) of something there are it vastly changes how they personally perceive the item in question.

My thing about the census is that so many books are being cracked and resubmitted, without CGC being notified (some people do, some people don't)that there has to be a large percentage of duplicates. Unless there is something I am missing...

because golden age stuff is just TOO cool to me and not only doesn't anyone have 500 copies of any issue in many cases you might wait years to find an available issue period of say..... oh for example an early "Strange Adventures" and it would cost way less than MTU#1

My thing about the census is that so many books are being cracked and resubmitted, without CGC being notified (some people do, some people don't)that there has to be a large percentage of duplicates. Unless there is something I am missing...

Right. Best to think of the census as a ceiling on the number of copies graded.

lol

In which universe?

Our Universe?

From the CGC census:

MTU 1

3 @ 9.8

8 @ 9.6

59 @ 9.4

New Mutants 98

1 @ 10

8 @ 9.9

1432 @ 9.8

1622 @ 9.6

848 @ 9.4

He didn't say in HG or UHG or in CGC cases. If you think the CGC census represents all copies in any way... doh!doh!doh!

Who are they (the sellers)?

OMG I know that shop...it's here is Las Vegas...Cosmic Comics!

Someone probably hocked em to get some gambling money