• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Team Up #1 x500

76 posts in this topic

I don't disagree at all that there is much more demand. But these two books illustrate supply and demand very, very well.

We agree that NM 98 has way more demand. But there are VASTLY more copies. The result? MTU 1 is actually worth more in the NM grades

GPA for MTU

9.4 last sale $526

9.6 last sale $895

9.8 - only one sale ever (only 3 exist) $5,000

GPA for New Mutants 98

9.4 last sale $375

9.6 last sale $401

9.8 last sale $800

No one should contest that NM 98 has tons of demand. If not for lots of demand this common as grass book wouldn't be worth crapola. But there exists significant demand for MTU 1 and it is massively less available in true NM grades. So - supply and demand at work - it's worth much more. In the case of 9.8 like 6x more.

The "value" of low census books is very skewed. The reason why the low census MTU high grades go for so much is the ultra high grade completions and those who compete seriously on the registry are willing to bid them up. Once that group has satisfied their needs, the price the next tier of collectors are willing to pay drops off a cliff.

How many collectors are willing to pay $5K for a MTU 1 9.8? How many collectors would pay $800 for a NM 98 9.8? If you offered dealers the choice of (1) MTU 1 9.8 for resale or (6) NM 98 9.8; which one do you think the large majority will select to move inventory? Ultimately supply and demand determine the price, but demand is much more influential.

I don't disagree at all that there is much more demand. But these two books illustrate supply and demand very, very well.

We agree that NM 98 has way more demand. But there are VASTLY more copies. The result? MTU 1 is actually worth more in the NM grades

GPA for MTU

9.4 last sale $526

9.6 last sale $895

9.8 - only one sale ever (only 3 exist) $5,000

GPA for New Mutants 98

9.4 last sale $375

9.6 last sale $401

9.8 last sale $800

No one should contest that NM 98 has tons of demand. If not for lots of demand this common as grass book wouldn't be worth crapola. But there exists significant demand for MTU 1 and it is massively less available in true NM grades. So - supply and demand at work - it's worth much more. In the case of 9.8 like 6x more.

The "value" of low census books is very skewed. The reason why the low census MTU high grades go for so much is the ultra high grade completions and those who compete seriously on the registry are willing to bid them up. Once that group has satisfied their needs, the price the next tier of collectors are willing to pay drops off a cliff.

How many collectors are willing to pay $5K for a MTU 1 9.8? How many collectors would pay $800 for a NM 98 9.8? If you offered dealers the choice of (1) MTU 1 9.8 for resale or (6) NM 98 9.8; which one do you think the large majority will select to move inventory? Ultimately supply and demand determine the price, but demand is much more influential.

I don't really disagree with you or others - but I don't see things identically either. Demand I agree much more influential.

How many collectors are willing to pay 5K for MTU 1 in 9.8? It's hard to say, since it's an exclusive club that at most only three people get to belong to. The last one sold was six years ago. It seems very likely that if another is offered for sale it too will bring a very high price - perhaps 5K or more.

If you offered dealers 1 MTU 1 9.8 for resale or 6 NM NM 98.....? Really not a meaningful question. Is there a reason the dealer can't buy both? Especially if offered at the same price? I would purchase either or both if offered at prices I thought I could resell and make money on.

I think where maybe the source of any disagreement is that some here are greatly underestimating the collector interest in MTU 1, especially in true NM grades. MTU 1 doesn't have the level of interest as NM 98, that is true. But we are not talking about Kong the Untamed 1 either. It's regarded as a 40+ year old Spider-Man #1. The title ran 150 issues and always sold well. So it's on a lot of collectors want list that read/collected comics in the 70's.

MTU 1 also has far less potential for a dramatic flame out than NM 98 if the movie is a dude or Marvel puts a hack team on the character or runs him into the ground.

I really hate it when people hoard EXTREME multiple copies of books. Why would anyone need 500 copies of a comic i will never know. It's not even an isolated case. We all know Cal and his IMSM 1 fetish and i bet there are hundreds of people who hoard copies of various books. Two, three, ten. Fine. 500? doh!

MTU #1 , I was thinking about getting one of those but not anymore, I will just stick to my golden age stuff

Why wouldn't you want it because someone has 500 copies? It's not an expensive book and the black cover makes it tough in high grade.

because golden age stuff is just TOO cool to me and not only doesn't anyone have 500 copies of any issue in many cases you might wait years to find an available issue period of say..... oh for example an early "Strange Adventures" and it would cost way less than MTU#1

I don't want to wait years to find a copy of a book I want. I want lots of copies for cheap, and then I can pick the copy I like. You're collecting all wrong... :baiting:

Who are they (the sellers)?

That is Cosmic Comics in Las Vegas, I do believe.

Yep I just visited that store this summer. Very nice back issue selection. I love the wooden cabinet holders for older SA books.

I bought several back issues and had to take them back with me on a plane so I couldn't buy all I wanted.

Edited by Fastballspecial

On 11/8/2014 at 2:28 PM, mintcollector said:

I don't understand why this continues to shock some people. You don't think there is this amount of books like Ms. Marvel 1 and other speculative books out there? This is commonplace. A large number of books from 1968 and later were hoarded en masse. Most of these books are sitting in NM and above ungraded.

Nonsense. They were bought and speculated on, sure, but they have been getting sold over the course of 50 years. You think there are a bunch of 75 year old guys who have managed to sit on all these books while they hit new highs every year and kept them minty? Mtu 1 isn't rare. If you're 45 and have been buying every affordable copy you see for years because you love the book you can have a table lime that. Why you would I have no idea. I stop at 75 copies.

2 hours ago, fastballspecial said:
On 11/8/2014 at 6:56 PM, conditionfreak said:

Laying those books out like that, and posting the pic on the internet. Might just be the worst business sense I have ever seen in this hobby.

I agree. 

i never read a lot of Human Torch stories. When he was doused with water and put out, how long did it take for him to dry out and fire back up?

This an honest question and not a silly one, like, how did Iceman walk without slipping.

Thanks

12 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Star Wars 1 had a mega ginormous highly speculated on print run. MTU 1 probably had a typical print run of a #1 for a popular character of its day (dunno what to compare it to other than maybe MTIO #1 that came out a little later? Defenders 1? I dunno.) These are common books, they just have a vast market. In the early 2000s after the last of the bad prequel movies you could get a nice SW 1 for $5 on ebay (. Plenty to be had. It is not a book I chased particularly, but I wound up with about 10 copies over the years.

My issue is with the notion that somehow speculation hoards from 40 or 50 years ago are sitting there intact today in pristine condition. The owners would be 60-80 years old. They have been selling them off over time. When MTU 1 became a $20 book you don't think they started unloading? And then $100? People move 4 or 5 or 10 times. You think they're dragging these hoards around with the plan to sell them in 40 years? Yes, there were some folks buying 100-500 copies of these books for future resale, but that future resale has 99% happened already. For example, Koch had a vast quantity of Special Marvel Edition (1st Master Kung Fun). He slowly and steadily sold them off over the years, but when ebay came he was able to unload them en masse. I bought 15 copies for $10-$15 a pop. Others did the same. Now they're gone. And, by the way, they were not all NM or better despite being stored by a comic dealer. And yes, he has some 80s books in quantity still, but he has been furiously unloading those too. He might be down to a few dozen copies.

17 hours ago, the blob said:

Nonsense. They were bought and speculated on, sure, but they have been getting sold over the course of 50 years. You think there are a bunch of 75 year old guys who have managed to sit on all these books while they hit new highs every year and kept them minty? Mtu 1 isn't rare. If you're 45 and have been buying every affordable copy you see for years because you love the book you can have a table lime that. Why you would I have no idea. I stop at 75 copies.

You realize you are replying to a four year old comment, correct?

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

You realize you are replying to a four year old comment, correct?

I do now. It was wrong then too. It is hard to see dates when looking at this on my phone, I just tend to reply and realize later I am replying to an antiquity.

FWIW. 2 3 stories.

1) I knew a older guy that had multiples of MANY bronze titles. He had a very obscure 'junk' shop  with boxes and boxes of comics. He didn't like people going through them, and was a bit paranoid.

That being said, I fished through about 20 or 30 Kull 1s and found one pristine copy, which I purchased (full guide of course).

2) There was a store that went out of business (Tower records). They had a literal box full (maybe 1 to 200) of spider-man 500s, going for about 50c each or so. I literally looked through the entire box, and found maybe two without dings.

I should add that the desk clerks manhandled the spoon out of them (very annoying).

Point being that there may be hoards, but I would guess on my limited samples, the likelihood of finding high grades in the stacks are somewhat low.

3) As a real young kid, one of my first back issue purchases was MTU 1-10. It was in some hole in the wall. The dealer said, the first issue had a photo copy cover. Had no idea what that

meant at the time, but I will say, that was one sweet purchase. I read them till they were in tatters.

Edited by bronze_rules