• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2004 Original Art Acquisitioins

544 posts in this topic

Thanks!

Some of these I've had for a little while, some are new. Bought a few off the web, and a few from fellow art fans. I just got around to taking pix of the pages for insurance cataloging purposes, and figured I should share them with fellow boardmembers. I'll put up a few more in coming days. The FF page I got off of ebay a while ago. The Ditko splash I bought from another art collector. Ditko pieces are my grails and I still don't have an ASM or Dr. Strange page. Someday though.....

Thanks!

Some of these I've had for a little while, some are new. Bought a few off the web, and a few from fellow art fans. I just got around to taking pix of the pages for insurance cataloging purposes, and figured I should share them with fellow boardmembers. I'll put up a few more in coming days. The FF page I got off of ebay a while ago. The Ditko splash I bought from another art collector. Ditko pieces are my grails and I still don't have an ASM or Dr. Strange page. Someday though.....

I know that Mark McDermott has a Ditko Dr. Strange page on consignment. Take a look at his site (www.virtualcomicartcon.com). He's easy to deal with, and a nice guy. I've found him to be honest. That being said, Dr. Strange pages are pretty expensive, so not sure how much leeway on price there would be.

Best,

Thanks!

I know that Mark McDermott has a Ditko Dr. Strange page on consignment. Take a look at his site (www.virtualcomicartcon.com). He's easy to deal with, and a nice guy. I've found him to be honest. That being said, Dr. Strange pages are pretty expensive, so not sure how much leeway on price there would be.

Yeah, I'm talking to him, but he hasn't been very responsive to my emails since last Friday. The piece is not for sale, only for trade. And he clearly wants something significant for it. So the quest goes on....

thumbsup2.gif

Rhino,

Mark does like to trade, so maybe he's holding out for something he really likes. But, just let him know you're interested, and he'll get back to you if he doesn't get a better offer.

In an effort to keep the "friendly" part of this thread going, I'll post my latest acquisition. My first acquisition of 2005. This is one of the cover's from Zeck's first run on Captain America, from 1982. These covers are VERY hard to find. Glad I have my example finally. Zeck has that Kirby style, with larger than life action poses. Gotta love it!

zeck-cap.JPG

Best,

Gorgeous piece, Hari! Zeck is a GREAT artist. I'm still waiting to hear from Mark, 3 emails sent since Friday, with no reply. I get the picture. But a response saying "no thanks" would have been nice.

Here's another of my babies: A spectacular Kirby action page from Avengers 3.

Avengers3p10.jpg

Rhino,

I remember seeing that page for sale a while back (must be years now). A beautiful page... really love that last panel.

For all you guys out there looking to get some really classic original art, I'd say check out early Kirby panel pages. He was so prolific, and many of the pages are much cheaper than you'd expect simply for that reason. You can get early issues of FF, Thor (JIM), etc. for between 750 and 2K. Just a year or two ago you could get pages from Avengers #1 for 3K. Believe it.... or not!

Best,

Gorgeous piece, Hari! Zeck is a GREAT artist. I'm still waiting to hear from Mark, 3 emails sent since Friday, with no reply. I get the picture. But a response saying "no thanks" would have been nice.

Avengers3p10.jpg

My copy of Avengers #3 should arrive any day now. cloud9.gif One day I plan to own a high grade copy of this book, a must have for the collection.

Avengers3p10.jpg

My copy of Avengers #3 should arrive any day now. cloud9.gif One day I plan to own a high grade copy of this book, a must have for the collection.

Avengers #3 really has one of my all-time favorite covers. I had a terrific copy of #2 (NM-), and still have a stellar #4 (solid NM), but I never did find that #3 in high-grade. Of course, they're much easier to find nowadays with CGC. High prices are the main deterrent these days.

Best,

Rhino,

I remember seeing that page for sale a while back (must be years now). A beautiful page... really love that last panel.

For all you guys out there looking to get some really classic original art, I'd say check out early Kirby panel pages. He was so prolific, and many of the pages are much cheaper than you'd expect simply for that reason. You can get early issues of FF, Thor (JIM), etc. for between 750 and 2K. Just a year or two ago you could get pages from Avengers #1 for 3K. Believe it.... or not!

Best,

I bought 2 interior pages from Avengers 3, pages 9 and 10. Below is page 9, which I liked because it shows the Avengers switching from their "civilian" identities into their super-hero identities. Not as exciting as the page 10, but cool for other reasons.

I agree completely, I love Kirby's early work. The power in his art always amazed me, even as a kid who knew nothing about art. I just knew that the way the FF was drawn was much cooler than the way Superman or Batman were drawn in the 60s.

Avengers3p9.jpg

Also agreed. There are precious few comic covers that could ever have shot at trading at the 100k zone...jb's Planet Comics #1 cover being one of them, maybe two or three others. As for the rest of 'em, sorry, ya'll are dreaming bigtime. The art world OPENLY LAUGHS at original art comic-stuff, with a few exceptions...you'll sometimes see R. Crumb in the galleries, for example. Other times you'll see a "comic art" display but it's almost purely for novelty or kitch.

I'm not saying that's fair or right, just the way it is, and it ain't changing anytime soon. The "fine art" world is notoriously stubborn. So those of you who collect comic cover art and pride yourselves on being "less geeky," it totally ain't so.

Errr,....this doesnt appear to be correct. As there are MANY covers that have sold over 100K.