• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2004 Original Art Acquisitioins

544 posts in this topic

But what's "many" and what's a "precious few"? Just matters of interpretation. I haven't a clue how many have sold at that price, but even if it's several dozen, so what? That's still a "precious few" in my book. Just as "precious few" comics have sold for that money, even though I could name quite a few examples. The point is that it's only the top .000001% (or whatever) that's trading in that range, for both comics and art.

Also agreed. There are precious few comic covers that could ever have shot at trading at the 100k zone...jb's Planet Comics #1 cover being one of them, maybe two or three others. As for the rest of 'em, sorry, ya'll are dreaming bigtime. The art world OPENLY LAUGHS at original art comic-stuff, with a few exceptions...you'll sometimes see R. Crumb in the galleries, for example. Other times you'll see a "comic art" display but it's almost purely for novelty or kitch.

I'm not saying that's fair or right, just the way it is, and it ain't changing anytime soon. The "fine art" world is notoriously stubborn. So those of you who collect comic cover art and pride yourselves on being "less geeky," it totally ain't so.

Errr,....this doesnt appear to be correct. As there are MANY covers that have sold over 100K.

Define "MANY."

The vast majority of so-called "fine art" sells for less than 100K too.

True, but there are many thousands of examples of fine art over the 100k level. I mean, to provide a basic stat I just searched sotheby's (I was there already) and came up with 7000+ examples from their database alone. There's a lot of art that sells over that level straight out of the artist's hands. It's a whole different ballgame.

http://search.sothebys.com/jsps/live/event/EventDetail.jsp?event_id=27730

I was at Sothebys yesterday as I am going to be purchasing some works from the Old Master Auction that is coming up. It is funny, the stuff is GORGEOUS and some of the prices were remarably lower or comparable to OA, yet most of the pieces are 200 - 400 years older. For a young market, OA is imho,..KICKING arse!!!

That said, I encourage evryone to check out the OM Auction, simply breath-taking (although not as cool as Spider-man kicking the Sandmans arse).

For a young market, OA is imho,..KICKING arse!!!

I wonder if that screen name is Iranian for "special sauce"...

You'd think you'd post pictures of Ghandi or some Hindu leader...you have come back so many times in so many forms you must believe in reincarnation. makepoint.gif

Let's see if Arch can break the 64 minute record.

Chris

I come here to talk about art,..and all you guys do is try to knock me. I actually think objectively speaking,..most of you (not all) are the true dingleberries. I have said for months,..u guys just dont like my personality and are intolerant. THAT is the real offense,..and you all oughtta be ashamed of trying to marginalize and silence those with whom you disagree or those whose personality you find to be irritant. I come to talk art...you come to have a social life. Kinda sad.

I come to talk art...you come to have a social life. Kinda sad.

If you stayed on that topic, talked only about art, and did not immediately resort to calling other listers, who disagree with you, all sorts of variations on the name of female genitalia, that would carry alot more weight. That would seem to be the intolerance you just said is so wrong.

I come to talk art...you come to have a social life. Kinda sad.

If you stayed on that topic, talked only about art, and did not immediately resort to calling other listers, who disagree with you, all sorts of variations on the name of female genitalia, that would carry alot more weight. That would seem to be the intolerance you just said is so wrong.

That is pure spin and not an accurate representation of the facts. I get knocked for praising OA (the irony that this is an OA board/ Comic board still baffles me). I merely try to defend myself from those who try to attack me, - Id rather talk about the Old Masters exhibit at Sothebys but it seems no one wants to and would rather attack me. It really was a KILLER exhibit and I cant wait for the auction.

I was at Sothebys yesterday as I am going to be purchasing some works from the Old Master Auction that is coming up. It is funny, the stuff is GORGEOUS and some of the prices were remarably lower or comparable to OA, yet most of the pieces are 200 - 400 years older. For a young market, OA is imho,..KICKING arse!!!

You couldn't have made a better argument for comic book OA being overpriced than when you can buy some great art, with international/universal appeal and that has withstood the test of centuries, for a comparable price.

I was at Sothebys yesterday as I am going to be purchasing some works from the Old Master Auction that is coming up. It is funny, the stuff is GORGEOUS and some of the prices were remarably lower or comparable to OA, yet most of the pieces are 200 - 400 years older. For a young market, OA is imho, -- KICKING arse!!!

You couldn't have made a better argument for comic book OA being overpriced than when you can buy some great art, with international/universal appeal and that has withstood the test of centuries, for a comparable price.

You are sooooo dumb that it amazes me. You ever hear of supply and demand? Images of mass market consumption IS The future, - Spider-man, Superman, Batman, etc - and not the 'Old Masters'. As much as I love the 'Old Masters', - one cannot deny that most of the paintings in the auction have had CENTURIES to trade and develop a market and yet most sell at $20K-$40K. You say Universal Appeal????, -I say you are looking at the past and not the future. I have been saying this for months, -THE MEDIA IS THE MESSAGE!!!!!!!!, - OA will in the next 15-20 years reach Picasso, Renoir, Rembrandt prices. YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT,...you just think you do.

That out of the way,. I dont understand how you can draw the conclusion "prices are way out of line with reality" -- especially considering the fact, that you are not even in the market.

Hi Destro (by the way, as a Joe fan, I love the name!),

Oh, I still follow things pretty closely and talk with lots of friends, dealers and other participants in the community, so I'm well aware of what's going on even if I'm not actively buying. As for my comment on prices, I base this on my analysis of the aforementioned income, demographic and macroeconomic trends. I just don't see where all the money is going to come from to push this stuff 10-fold over the next 10-20 years like you seem to be suggesting. Quite the contrary, with income levels stagnating, debt levels soaring, Baby Boomers starting to retire in less than 5 years and one asset class after another rolling over, it's not going to take much of a shock to the system to bring the house of cards down.

Click on the image itself,..blow it up,..look at the line and ink work,...its gorgeous.

I think it's gorgeous for what it is. But it will never be appreciated like Warhol or Lichentenstein. It's small, uncolored and doesn't even look like art to a lot of people (logos? price tag? Comics Code label? Is that primarily art or advertising??) As I said, it's a by-product of the comic book making process with collectible value based primarily on nostalgia. The linework and everything else is a distinctly secondary consideration.

I dont believe either of us is qualified to predict the future,.... only time will tell !!!!

Considering that my job is to see the future before others and profit from it, I do feel somewhat qualified. Obviously, it's an imperfect art, but I do know that trees do not grow to the sky and that prices cannot compound at these real (inflation-adjusted) rates of return indefinitely, particularly when they are outstripping income growth and portfolio asset appreciation by a wide margin. I have to believe that prices are being fueled largely with debt and money from appreciated artwork and housing. This, too, is an unstable dynamic and is likely to self-destruct than continue on long enough to realize the price trends that you are envisioning.

As you said, though, only time will tell. I appreciate your opinions and look forward to hearing more from you.

Gene

This is my favorite Gene post. I LOVE the way Gene says he knows, KNOWS, OA will never appreciate in value akin to fine art because he predicts the future for a living, - (he trades on the market,..big whoop-dee-doo) - "Considering that my job is to see the future before others and profit from it, I do feel somewhat qualified".

HYSTERICAL!!!!!!

This is my favorite Gene post. I LOVE the way Gene says he knows, KNOWS, OA will never appreciate in value akin to fine art because he predicts the future for a living, - (he trades on the market,..big whoop-dee-doo) - "Considering that my job is to see the future before others and profit from it, I do feel somewhat qualified".

HYSTERICAL!!!!!!

sleeping.gif

Talk to me when you have the guts to tell us your real name, show us art that you actually own, not hide behind a thousand shills and impersonate other people, or otherwise give us any reason why we should take you seriously.

HYSTERICAL!!!!!!

sleeping.gif

Talk to me when you have the guts to tell us your real name, show us art that you actually own, not hide behind a thousand shills and impersonate other people, or otherwise give us any reason why we should take you seriously.

My brilliance speaks for itself.