• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2004 Original Art Acquisitioins

544 posts in this topic

I figured if Major Khaos can write gibberish like

"There is no "form" for comic art; the form is just whatever the person creating the book WANTS it to be on that particular day."

Then I will make sure it gets echoed perpetually,..so he has to hear his own gibberish,..ringing in his ears.

I read this thread with much interest to see how it would play out. It seems as if there are a few on here who are aware of the differences between true art and comic book art. Then there are others who think because they enjoy original comic book art that it is equal to true art.

According to philospher R.G. Collingwood there is a differnce between art and craft. Craft being what comic book art would fall under. Collingwood cites six features that distinguish craft as not being an artform.

An artifact is a work of craft if and only if the following points are true of it.

a. It is a result produced by a learnable technique or method for producing prespecified results from a range of outcomes governed by the technique. (Which captures his first 3 points.)

b. It takes some skill to apply the method or learn the technique.

c. The craftsperson alters raw materials into finished product. (This captures his fourth and fifth points. Collingwood's sixth point - that there is a heirarchy of crafts - is peripheral to his main insights about craft.)

d. Retrospectively, we can always evaluate the work with repsect to a preestablished paradigm, that is, a clearly concieved model or example of what the finished product should be. We can always judge that the finished product is well or poorly done with respect to the paradigm that the work is intended to approximate.

One obvious telltale distinction between art and craft is that craft gives us a measure of quality in the otherwise subjective area of art.

Great post, Deathlok! Collingwood's a good source, I should've thought of that. thumbsup2.gif Also would recommend, if anyone's interested, Tolstoy's "What is Art?" Although I probably agree with less than half of it (it's a bit too conservative in its opinions on art and sexuality for my tastes), the book makes a good springboard for further discussion of this type.

Actually Art Philosophy was a favorite course of mine. As was most of the other philosophy courses I've taken.

Other excellent sources for art philosophy would include:

David Hume - "Of the Standard of Taste."

George Dickie - "Defining Art."

John Stuart Mill - "Utilitarianism."

I read this thread with much interest to see how it would play out. It seems as if there are a few on here who are aware of the differences between true art and comic book art. Then there are others who think because they enjoy original comic book art that it is equal to true art.

According to philospher R.G. Collingwood there is a differnce between art and craft. Craft being what comic book art would fall under. Collingwood cites six features that distinguish craft as not being an artform.

An artifact is a work of craft if and only if the following points are true of it.

a. It is a result produced by a learnable technique or method for producing prespecified results from a range of outcomes governed by the technique. (Which captures his first 3 points.)

b. It takes some skill to apply the method or learn the technique.

c. The craftsperson alters raw materials into finished product. (This captures his fourth and fifth points. Collingwood's sixth point - that there is a heirarchy of crafts - is peripheral to his main insights about craft.)

d. Retrospectively, we can always evaluate the work with repsect to a preestablished paradigm, that is, a clearly concieved model or example of what the finished product should be. We can always judge that the finished product is well or poorly done with respect to the paradigm that the work is intended to approximate.

One obvious telltale distinction between art and craft is that craft gives us a measure of quality in the otherwise subjective area of art.

Well done! I would say that we should anticipate silence from the opposing camp, but I think they surrendered long ago.

Original comic art will continue to go up. Just ask Gordon Gekko:

An element of social criticism adds to this climate of suspicion. In

Wall Street (1987), Oliver Stone depicts a young stockbroker (Charlie

Sheen) learning a few of life's harder lessons. In the process, he comes

to see that the world in which he lives and the goals he has aspired to

are nothing more than a mirage. The stylish interiors, the designer

desks, the wellgroomed surfaces of the people and the objects cannot

conceal the nihilism at the heart of it all. This is a world in which

everything is sacrificed, irretrievably, to profit. An abstract painting

serves as a symbol for this inner and outer void, when Gordon Gekko

(Michael Douglas) finds only one thing worthy of mention: the picture's

appreciated value. Standing in front of this work of art, he gives his

"protégé" a lesson in capitalism. "Illusion has become reality, and the more

real it gets, the more strongly it is desired."

Signed,

Fred

I don't think the illusions/delusions of a few comic art diehards are going to become anyone else's reality. Unlike an abstract painting, what you see with comic art is quite clearly what you get.

Original comic art will continue to go up. Just ask Gordon Gekko:

An element of social criticism adds to this climate of suspicion. In

Wall Street (1987), Oliver Stone depicts a young stockbroker (Charlie

Sheen) learning a few of life's harder lessons. In the process, he comes

to see that the world in which he lives and the goals he has aspired to

are nothing more than a mirage. The stylish interiors, the designer

desks, the wellgroomed surfaces of the people and the objects cannot

conceal the nihilism at the heart of it all. This is a world in which

everything is sacrificed, irretrievably, to profit. An abstract painting

serves as a symbol for this inner and outer void, when Gordon Gekko

(Michael Douglas) finds only one thing worthy of mention: the picture's

appreciated value. Standing in front of this work of art, he gives his

"protégé" a lesson in capitalism. "Illusion has become reality, and the more

real it gets, the more strongly it is desired."

Signed,

Fred

Okay... first of all you got the quote wrong. Second, I already used it when Foolkiller started using it as an avatar. doh

tongue.gif