• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2004 Original Art Acquisitioins

544 posts in this topic

Thanks Spidr9698,..

I asked a coupla' weeks ago and no one had anything. I know for fact, that the #48 is out there because an intermediary said he knew where it was (highy trusted and respected comic book dealer),..but I dont think he passed along my offer . If anyone knows the gentleman or lady who has the ASM #48 Id 'preciate it kindly if they can let said person know that Im interested in making a HIGHLY SERIOUS offer. Best JJ

If it's where I think it is, it isn't going anywhere. That said, the past year saw the 40 and 47 change hands. I was offered the 46 a few years ago (still kicking myself for passing on it). Burkey had the 41. The 42 was shopped around about a year ago but fell off the radar. My sense is if a piece is going to be let go, it would have to be great trade or, as we refer to in the collecting field, "stoopid" money.

Hi,

I don't think the CGC price escalation has anything to do with it. The vast majority of comic art collectos don't follow the book market. For example, of the almost 2000 comic art yahoo group members, you've got maybe FIVE of us that actually look at this forum!

The two hobbies are very different, and book prices have little relation with art prices. For example, Crisis 7 and 8 go for what.... 100 bucks in 9.8? Well, the original art for those covers would be 75 and 50K. Art prices are mainly about image content, the nostalgia factor, and, of course, who the artist is. Not so with books.

Hari,

as always, your posts are right on the money. But i disagree with the values that you are placing on the Crisis covers.

Most of us know that you have the 7 -(brillant cover) and it's a Perez at his finest...But 50 and 75 k for those covers respective is crazy.

The ASM 40 cover that just sold privately didn't met it's reserve last year and topped out at , i think, 39k. - While Perez's Crisis covers are amazing and over time will no doubt increase and prove timeless, the cover to the origin of the most popular villian of the most popular super hero done by the most popular artist certianly is more important and thus, more valuable. I am sure that there are more people (collectors) that would place more nostalgia on that piece or even your ASM 75 cover, Burkey's ASM 101 cover or the mentioned Batman 251 original.

This is not to say that you wouldn't have a buyer that would be willing to slam down the money that you would need to be offered to get you to part with it....but generally, i think it's an aggressive price.....

For the Playboy article am I right in assuming that the values of some pieces like Burkey's complete ASM 121 (or 122 I don't remember which) are estimates based on what the sellers would actually consider releasing these pieces for rather than what someone is actually willing to pay?

Hi,

Don't worry, I'm never selling the Crisis cover. And I do mean never. I don't plan on ever needing the cash. As for values, I've been struck over the years that I've been in this hobby by how inconsistent it is in terms of prices, and how you really can't make predictions as to values. Key covers from each era (Golden Age, Silver Age, Bronze Age, etc.) will command high prices, and in most cases, comparable prices. For example, most Romita ASM early covers (as we are hearing) are around 35-50K. Well, so are most Byrne X-Men covers. You want something more modern? Same prices hold true for key McFarlane spidey covers, and (yes) the key Perez Crisis covers. Does it seem fair? No. But, unlike me, most collectors focus on a particular era due to nostalgia. So, for a modern collector, they'd be willing to spend 50K on a McFarlane Spidey cover or the cover to Hulk 340, but they wouldn't spend the same money on a Romita ASM cover. That's just the way it is. VERY different from the comic book market, where everyone (for the most part) would rather have the older and more "historic" comic. History and vintage is more important in books, whereas nostalgia and aesthetic appeal (subjective) are more important in art.

It took me years to figure this out.

I agree but disagree with your post CGC fan. I agree that some of these prices are "OuT oF wHACK" in that there is a failed correlation in price with those items that have intrinsic 'blue chip' value (that is, items that will not only hold their value but grow in the future). That said, the question to my mind becomes, not is the Perez Crisis Cover Over-Valued,..but are some pieces UNDER-VALUED.

And with respect to your point on the ASM 40. I remember Mike Burkey had an ASM 61 Cover on his site, for a bit of time, for well below what it would probably go for now. Clearly, that piece, at the price it was then now, would be a steal. Hence, a failure to sell at auction at a point in time is not in my opinion, representative of anything with respect to value,...all it means is the eye-ball of the right buyer perhaps did not find the piece,...or perhaps the Auction venue was not suited to the selling of that particular item. I could kick myself for not buying that cover,..I simply just didnt have the money $$$ : (

I believe we are in unchartered waters in this hobby. This stuff is one of a kind,...so I am optomistic that considering this stuff is priceless,..the sky is really the limit.

PS - Hari,..that 75 is gorgeous,..love the detail work on the curtains.

I don't think any of the items in the Playboy article would ever be for sale unless you paid significantly more than the number they quoted. For the most part, those were items in personal collections that really aren't going anywhere. I know all those guys, and I'd be embarrassed to even ask if it's for sale.

After the #39 and the #50, the #75 if my favorite cover of the Romita run (under issue #101). There's just something about a large Spidey image on a mostly black background that I like. Come to think of it, I love black covers in general! They are stunning as a book, and even more stunning as black and white comic art.

Anyone in the NY area is welcome to see it sometime. Just drop me a PM.

After the #39 and the #50, the #75 if my favorite cover of the Romita run (under issue #101). There's just something about a large Spidey image on a mostly black background that I like. Come to think of it, I love black covers in general! They are stunning as a book, and even more stunning as black and white comic art.

Anyone in the NY area is welcome to see it sometime. Just drop me a PM.

I would also add #69 to that list.

I said it before, and I'll say it again; I'm totally floored by your ASM 75 cover, and it's definetly one of the ones to have from the entire run. I've seen a lot of killer books and art owned by other board members, but that piece may be the only item that's really got me jealous. You're a lucky man. hail.gif

Is that not the piece that Bill Woo owns ? Yes,...that is a gorgeous piece too.

Its funny,..when Bill bought that a couple of years ago I thought he was CrazY because his buy price (46K,..i think?) was at the top of the market,....but in retropect,..it was clearly a good deal. I guess you cant predict this stuff.