• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2004 Original Art Acquisitioins

544 posts in this topic

PS - Hari,..that 75 is gorgeous,..love the detail work on the curtains.

After the #39 and the #50, the #75 if my favorite cover of the Romita run (under issue #101). There's just something about a large Spidey image on a mostly black background that I like. Come to think of it, I love black covers in general! They are stunning as a book, and even more stunning as black and white comic art.

Anyone in the NY area is welcome to see it sometime. Just drop me a PM.

I would also add #69 to that list.

I said it before, and I'll say it again; I'm totally floored by your ASM 75 cover, and it's definetly one of the ones to have from the entire run. I've seen a lot of killer books and art owned by other board members, but that piece may be the only item that's really got me jealous. You're a lucky man. hail.gif

Thanks! I love the #75 cover. That's another piece that isn't going anywhere. Whenever I look at it I can't believe that I actually own it!

I don't plan on ever needing the cash.

I just knew I should have checked out med school. frown.gif

Uh, med school isn't all fun and comic art, unfortunately. I haven't had a good night's sleep in four days now, because of late days and emergencies at night. Yeah, I know I could have picked dermatology, but I didn't. The ugly part of medicine is that the money can never make up for the fact that work takes over your entire life. And, for what I do, it always takes priority. Sad, but true. Don't get me wrong... I absolutely love what I do. Any of my patients will tell you that. But, most days I'm spending my time taking care of other people's loved ones and totally ignoring my own.

Hari,

You have theCrisis 7 cover ? ? ?

Actually, I own the Crisis 8. I was never interested in the Crisis 7 cover. It didn't grab me the same way that the 8 did when it came out. And, somehow, Supes seemed too stiff on that cover. Not dynamic enough. The Crisis 8 was more dramatic to me. The death of Flash was definitely more important to me than the death of Supergirl.

The #7, being the more famous cover, is probably "valued" more. But, like I said, we'll never know what the #8 is really valued at now as it ain't goin' anywhere smile.gif

Hari,

You think a nice swath of the comic collectors here will abandon comics and move over to the original art sector ? If we can slowly 'pick off '' the people on this board and get them addicted to original art,..the growth potential of art is promising IMHO. I think we have a built in mechanism for growing the hobby base of original art,..while comics,..I really cant imagine growing much more than the current rate. That said, I do think comics as a hobby isnt going anywhere,...but I do expect some air to be taken out of the hobby. Its amazing how much art has gone up in the last 5 years. How long have you been collecting ?

You see the new Heritage auction,..lotsa nice stuff

http://www.heritagecomics.com/common/auction/preview.php?SaleNo=815&LotIdNo=92004

http://www.heritagecomics.com/common/auction/preview.php?SaleNo=815&LotIdNo=3122

If it's where I think it is, it isn't going anywhere. That said, the past year saw the 40 and 47 change hands. I was offered the 46 a few years ago (still kicking myself for passing on it). Burkey had the 41. The 42 was shopped around about a year ago but fell off the radar. My sense is if a piece is going to be let go, it would have to be great trade or, as we refer to in the collecting field, "stoopid" money.
The 42 cover is on Bill Hughes' new website. It's in his gallery with no price. I believe that it's only for trade. Here's the link to the piece --> ASM 42 cover

Hari,

You think a nice swath of the comic collectors here will abandon comics and move over to the original art sector ? If we can slowly 'pick off '' the people on this board and get them addicted to original art,..the growth potential of art is promising IMHO. I think we have a built in mechanism for growing the hobby base of original art,..while comics,..I really cant imagine growing much more than the current rate. That said, I do think comics as a hobby isnt going anywhere,...but I do expect some air to be taken out of the hobby. Its amazing how much art has gone up in the last 5 years. How long have you been collecting ?

You see the new Heritage auction,..lotsa nice stuff

http://www.heritagecomics.com/common/auction/preview.php?SaleNo=815&LotIdNo=92004

http://www.heritagecomics.com/common/auction/preview.php?SaleNo=815&LotIdNo=3122

I always seem to get the Heritage catalogs a bit later than everyone else... so I haven't gotten it yet. Looks like I should check out the site though! Those are some fantastic covers!

I've been collecting comic books since 1983 or so, the high-grade Silver Age stuff since 1987 or so. I bought my first piece of art in 1998, and shifted solely to art by 1999 or 2000. So, about 4 or 5 years of collecting art at this point. I must say it's been much more fun than collecting books. With books, I always felt I was being very critical, looking at defects and trying to get the best copy I could find. And then, I was always trying to upgrade. Art is nice because it's one-of-a-kind, so you never need to upgrade, and condition matters far less. If I bent a corner on one of my pages, the value does not go down at all! In fact, it'll continue to go up over the years smile.gif

So, yes, I do think many more comic book collectors will switch to art. That's been the track-record, as I don't know a single art collector who didn't start out with the books.

Talk to ya,

While on the topic of Heritage, anyone have any clue what happened to the February Signature auction?

Bidding starts on Jan 21st on the Website. They just took down the Preliminary showing since they are preparing the catalog (and getting the order of the lots).

Didn't have a lot of great Silver-Age books, but of course always a few worth bidding on. My guess is that it is harder and harder for them to get the best SA books as ComicLink/PedigreeComics, and other dealer sites are taking consignments for a lot less.

From a GA and art standpoint, they are still the best (IMO).

GA art maybe. It seems like most of they art they sell is something like Little Dot #12. Either that or relatively new art (90's). WTF?! Even in Signature auctions, they haven't had that much SA/BA art.

There have only been a few SA/BA superhero pieces sold in the last 6 months on Heritage...

Marvel Team-up #72 cover 11/04

Secret Origins #7 cover 10/04

Batman #248 title splash 10/04

B&B #59 splash 8/04

2001 #3 cover 8/04

GA art maybe. It seems like most of they art they sell is something like Little Dot #12. Either that or relatively new art (90's). WTF?! Even in Signature auctions, they haven't had that much SA/BA art.

There have only been a few SA/BA superhero pieces sold in the last 6 months on Heritage...

Marvel Team-up #72 cover 11/04

Secret Origins #7 cover 10/04

Batman #248 title splash 10/04

B&B #59 splash 8/04

2001 #3 cover 8/04

I've found their art offerings to be relatively weak over the past year.

Hari,

I just went to their web site and their preview link is gone. I can only find the items I was tracking. That said, if you 'manipulate' the #'s in the url address you can go through the catalogue but obviously this is a pain in the [#@$%!!!]. The catalogues havent gone out yet. The web-site indicates that on January 22nd (next Saturday) one will be able to bid, ...so presumably thats when the full catalogue (not the preview I saw) will be online.