• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2015 NYComics Submission Standards + Schedule

13 posts in this topic

Hello! I am writing this post to help our clients and to alert them that we are updating our submission standards for next year.

How To Prep Your Books-

Painters Tape, Razor Blade, HOTFLIPS 7-1/8" Silver Bags, HOTFLIPS Silver/Reg Age Boards

Label your books on the Top Part of the Board (on the back of the window bag/board)

****IMPORTANT*******

I like to use 2 Boards, I outline the edges of the bag with Painters Tape, I cut out a nice big window and then I slide the comic in on the 2nd flat board. Then I turn it around and label the top part of the backing board so I can read it easily as I flip through the short box

Write the Label on the top of the board like this-Your Name/Sig. Color Request/Creator Request.

MAKE LARGE WINDOWS. If your windows are too small we will re-prep and charge you $5.

NO MYLARS, NO MYLITES, NO SHARPIE WINDOWS, NO MEDICAL TAPE WINDOWS, NO DUCT TAPE WINDOWS, NO OVERSIZED ITEMS, NO FLAPS, NO 5+ Board Windows, NO Interior Signatures only Cover Signatures. We need to be able to fit your item in a standard size short box. If it does not we will either re-prep it and charge you $5 per item or ship it back to you at your expense.

If your book does not meet this Prep Criteria we will Re-Prep your book and charge you $5. (Yes even if you tried to prep yourself unsuccessfully, sorry.)

All Mail in Submissions are now required to include payment by check or money order and a submission form. We are no longer accepting paypal or credit card.

All Mail in Submissions must be submitted by the stated Deadline.

We DO NOT guarantee signature color or placement. We REQUIRE our clients to understand that they are taking the same risks as us when they are getting their items signed. A pen could explode, a signature could land on top of another one. These are things beyond our control and we accept no responsibility for it.

Apologies if it seems like we are being too strict. I had a client freeze his paypal payment after all his books got signed and I had laid out all of the signing fees just because I had a delayed response to one of his many emails. I have seen sharpie windows smear or not be clear enough for creators. I am tired of opening packages without a payment inside or a submission form. So these are the new rules. If you don't prep your books our way, we will, and we will charge you $5 per book if we have to bring your books up to our standards. This will ensure that we maintain our high standards and quality.

Sincerely,

Sean and Chris- NYComics

Please follow us on Twitter- @NYComicYellowSS

Please keep an eye on our website- www.NYComics.us

2015 Show Schedule-

Megacon! 4/10-4/12 https://megaconvention.com/

There is nothing stopping you from negotiating a separate deal for an oversized item. It only makes sense for NYC to make it clear that they are not going to do oversized items for the same fee structure that they do comics.

There is nothing stopping you from negotiating a separate deal for an oversized item. It only makes sense for NYC to make it clear that they are not going to do oversized items for the same fee structure that they do comics.

+1

I suspect that you could work something out through pm

Absolutely. The NYC guys are smart. They have used the way that I prep books as the template for their submissions. :acclaim:

(Except that they have banned flaps. I will have to figure out how to deal with that . . .)

Actually, since the submission directions and rules appear pretty specific, is there any way we could get some photos and/or a video demonstration of the prep process and finished product? Then probably post it on your website, or have link in your sig to the photo/video.

That's probably the best way to get the most consistency.

This is all straight forward stuff. Common sense---and glad to see NYComics isn't the only one who agrees---modern age bags and boards are TOO SNUG.

Comics are more commonly damaged because the boards and bags are tighter then a bloody glove on O.J. in court.

SILVER AGE!!! Silver bags and boards are perfect, they leave some breathing room---DOUBLE board your books or use the Hotflips Full Backs :shurg:

Congrats to Sean, Chris, Max & Mike---I've heard nothing but great things about this signing!

Actually, since the submission directions and rules appear pretty specific, is there any way we could get some photos and/or a video demonstration of the prep process and finished product? Then probably post it on your website, or have link in your sig to the photo/video.

Excellent suggestion that we will implement further. We currently have a GIF on our how to submit section and have had that there all year. We will go ahead and try to make a full prep video for next year.

Really disappointed about the no oversized items rule. I was looking forward to working with you guys some this year.

Stuff in my home state that I can drive too I can help you out for a higher fee if you have multiple submissions.

Quite often I get requests for 1 item and some people argue about what I charge for return shipping or expect to pay the same charge as the listed autograph rate. I am done with this personally and I plan to focus on COMICS that fit in Shortboxes.

Sorry it has just been too many years of my partner Chris and I lugging along some weird oversized item and him complaining to me. "Why do we accept this stuff? This is such a pain we should be focusing on comics or our stuff!"

I think Flaps are ok when you are going to a show yourself and working with like 20 books out of a bookbag.

Most of the time we are working with 200+ books and we need to be able to handle them easily.

As Rich said the silver age boards leave a nice border around your actual comic which protects the edges. Then with the 71/8" bag from hotflips it is nice and snug and holds the comic book in place.

Then once I write the invoice # on top during prep/intake phase I always re-tape the top flap which makes it even more snug and fantastic!

Excellent suggestion that we will implement further. We currently have a GIF on our how to submit section and have had that there all year. We will go ahead and try to make a full prep video for next year.

This sounds vaguely familiar... I think we had this conversation at NYCC. :shy: