• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the most valuable modern age comics?

103 posts in this topic

I really loved that Coober Skeber book, or at least the idea of it. Nice Seth cover, and I think there was a funny Kolchaka Hulk story inside as well. Most of the rest of it was pretty amateurish. I think I paid about $5 for it at a show, and when I was selling books several years ago, I could hardly give the thing away. Of course, as it the Law of Comics, since I got rid of it, now it apparently is hot on eBay.

Are either of those selling for what a TWD #1 is?

There's some Nabisco variant of a Wolverine comic that is highly sought after and seems very rare... does it sell as much as a TWD #1?

Seems some of the RRP's are worth quite a bit of dough. Also, where do you personally draw the line at what is "modern?" Depending on that, stuff like the Sandman #8 Editorial variant is up there in value.

What about ashcans? One of those Maxx ones is pretty valuable...

-slym

Obviously Firspitter has no idea what Miracle on broadway is. If he did, he would know that this book is extremely rare and does not sell for $20 like it guides for in OS, in fact I saw Mile High comics selling a copy for $1000.

slym2none I am not saying these are the most valuable modern age on Earth. I am saying these are the most valuable I have.

I was only answering the question posed in the thread's title.

No offense intended.

-slym

I was ready to answer the question posed in this thread title. The title of this thread is very confusing.

slym2none I am not saying these are the most valuable modern age on Earth. I am saying these are the most valuable I have.

No offense intended.

-slym

I was ready to answer the question posed in this thread title. The title of this thread is very confusing.

I don't know, the thread title seems pretty clear. It's just that nobody has a clear idea of what "modern" means in this context.

Mile High was selling a comic at what appears to be a dramatically inflated price?

Bordering on the nonsensical?

Really?

......................................................................................This is just stunning.

They sell everything inflated at 200 plus percent markups so the sales really don't help.

Obviously Firspitter has no idea what Miracle on broadway is. If he did, he would know that this book is extremely rare and does not sell for $20 like it guides for in OS, in fact I saw Mile High comics selling a copy for $1000.

a modern book that sells for 100s of dollars and there are only 3 in the census. that's crazy.

No offense intended.

-slym

I don't know, the thread title seems pretty clear. It's just that nobody has a clear idea of what "modern" means in this context.

Most of the most valuable moderns are either RRP's or variants. I don't count the flash in the pans either that are only "valuable" for a short amount of time and then bust (like most of them do). They should have maintained their value and desirability for years, and preferably with steady price appreciation. Of course WD #1 is the king of the moderns that are not a variant or RRP.

Some that come immediately to mind that are the most costly, and have been for at least two years or more are:

WD #1

Batman 608 RRP

Wolverine #145, Nabisco

ASM 667 (Dell'Otto)

ASM 678 (VenoMJ)

Wolverine 1 (Deadpool mash-up)

Siege 3 (Deadpool)

Uncanny X-men 510 (Partial Sketch)

Any one of the aforementioned books have consistently gone for big bucks, some for several thousands of dollars, in 9.8 and down for an extended period of time, and I would say they are the most valuable moderns out there, if you can even find them. Some of them hardly ever even come up for sale, let alone in a 9.8.

Sandman 8, editorial would be considered a copper age book.

I also do not include any "error" versions of any books on the list, nor do I include fringe, ultra niche books. I'm only talking mainstream, regular distribution books.

I'm curious to know if anyone knows of any others I'm missing.

-J.

Ah yes, quoting MHC's asking prices is always the best way to make a point about comic values.

a modern book that sells for 100s of dollars and there are only 3 in the census. that's crazy.

The only thing that is more rare than copies of Miracle on Broadway... is demand for copies of Miracle on Broadway.

The only thing that is more rare than copies of Miracle on Broadway... is demand for copies of Miracle on Broadway.

lol

No offense intended.

-slym

Gotcha. Yeah people have different interpretations with what "modern" means.