• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Am i going insane????

58 posts in this topic

Hello fellow golden age collectors,

I have been thinking of comics more than I should lately but I have to admit it is just so fun collecting golden age ! I don't read them anymore , I just want them !and graded too. I keep dreaming of putting together complete runs of early issues1-50 of classic DC golden age comics that nobody else has bothered to collect in the CGC registry. .and not high grade either,. as its expensive enough just acquiring them in mid grade or lower and getting them graded, I look at the registry and see that not one person has a complete early run (1-50) of any of the famous 2nd tier DC issues like: Mystery in Space, Strange Adventures Tomahawk, big 5 DC war, House of Mystery,

etc etc..

I see that not one person has attempted any of these sets and I start thinking to myself that I want to be that one person to complete one or more of them and be proud of having the only CGC graded set in the world but then it dawns on me that there must be a reason why nobody else wants to collect these CGC graded sets and how stupid I must be if my idea is to do something that nobody else has ever done

I would appreciate any feedback, I feel as if its as plain as black and white that I SHOULD NOT collect these early set (graded) but it spinning around my head all the time and with my completest collectors mentality it is very compelling to me

thanks

I spent a good two years trying to build a slabbed set of Mutt & Jeff 1-30. Believe I had 18 of them.

Still wouldn't have been a high registry set, as my copies were 4.5-8.5, and all it takes is a few 9.6 Silver Age issues to rise above them.

And at one point I had what would have been the top registry set of Secret Hearts, a Silver Age DC title, with a whopping four issues (all 9.6). I even think it would be a challenge to have built a raw set of that title.

It's not hard to build an obscure old-school top registry set. Just make sure they are books you love.

Lots of folks collect them. Many don't have them graded ( it's not worth it) or care about the registry (thumbs u

:shy: I am close to having that Tomahawk 1 - 50 complete albeit in low grade.

^^

I also have a completed slabbed Leading Comics #1-14 featuring the 7 Soldiers before Leading's genre change. Not that anyone but me cares for that title.

I think those are great stories and covers,some of us love them.

Forget what other folks do/don't do. Collect what makes you happy.

This. If building a registry set of slabbed copies is part of your collecting goal then spend your money on what you see fit. Plenty of collectors buy books both slabbed and raw without concern as to what the best "investment" is.

Lots of folks collect them. Many don't have them graded ( it's not worth it) or care about the registry (thumbs u

^^

My father has runs of Gene Autry,Roy Rogers,Hopalong Cassidy and Lone Ranger. None are slabbed. :o He doesn`t see the point or value of slabbing vg cowboy western books.

^^

My father has runs of Gene Autry,Roy Rogers,Hopalong Cassidy and Lone Ranger. None are slabbed. :o He doesn`t see the point or value of slabbing vg cowboy western books.

That is plain cool.