• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Am i going insane????

58 posts in this topic

Lots of folks collect them. Many don't have them graded ( it's not worth it) or care about the registry (thumbs u

:shy: I am close to having that Tomahawk 1 - 50 complete albeit in low grade.

^^

My father has runs of Gene Autry,Roy Rogers,Hopalong Cassidy and Lone Ranger. None are slabbed. :o He doesn`t see the point or value of slabbing vg cowboy western books.

That is plain cool.

Those were his heroes growing up. He says he is going to start a John Wayne run next. lol

Lots of folks collect them. Many don't have them graded ( it's not worth it) or care about the registry (thumbs u

^^

My father has runs of Gene Autry,Roy Rogers,Hopalong Cassidy and Lone Ranger. None are slabbed. :o He doesn`t see the point or value of slabbing vg cowboy western books.

That is plain cool.

Those were his heroes growing up. He says he is going to start a John Wayne run next. lol

I can't help it , i am compelled to want to complete a couple of golden age early runs in mid to low grade , all CGC graded , like someone else mentioned ,..i may need to admit myself to comics anonymous lol !!!!!

^^

The upside of these runs is that he probably didn't get into any bidding wars ;)

And at one point I had what would have been the top registry set of Secret Hearts, a Silver Age DC title, with a whopping four issues (all 9.6). I even think it would be a challenge to have built a raw set of that title.

Challenge...accepted! 127 of 153 so far. No beaters - adds some spice to the mix. Even with the interweb settle in for the long haul. (thumbs u

And at one point I had what would have been the top registry set of Secret Hearts, a Silver Age DC title, with a whopping four issues (all 9.6). I even think it would be a challenge to have built a raw set of that title.

Challenge...accepted! 127 of 153 so far. No beaters - adds some spice to the mix. Even with the interweb settle in for the long haul. (thumbs u

Just looked at the cover gallery @ the GCD. A couple of nice covers in the first 50; I like # 21, 37 (I have a soft spot for snow covers), and 48 & 50 I believe are great for the genre.

Just looked at the cover gallery @ the GCD. A couple of nice covers in the first 50; I like # 21, 37 (I have a soft spot for snow covers), and 48 & 50 I believe are great for the genre.

I like those snow covers too, especially with tragic women trudging through them.

^^

That is plain cool.

I can't help it , i am compelled to want to complete a couple of golden age early runs in mid to low grade , all CGC graded , like someone else mentioned ,..i may need to admit myself to comics anonymous lol !!!!!

There are still some sets that might benefit from slabbing AND not break the bank. Maybe you could start small and see how you feel after you're finished..... something like War Adventures by Atlas. Of the titles you listed in your first post.... Strange Adventures may be "B" list but they seem to sell well enough in the Sales Forum..... plus they're incredibly cool. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Hello fellow golden age collectors,

I have been thinking of comics more than I should lately but I have to admit it is just so fun collecting golden age ! I don't read them anymore , I just want them !and graded too. I keep dreaming of putting together complete runs of early issues1-50 of classic DC golden age comics that nobody else has bothered to collect in the CGC registry. .and not high grade either,. as its expensive enough just acquiring them in mid grade or lower and getting them graded, I look at the registry and see that not one person has a complete early run (1-50) of any of the famous 2nd tier DC issues like: Mystery in Space, Strange Adventures Tomahawk, big 5 DC war, House of Mystery,

etc etc..

I see that not one person has attempted any of these sets and I start thinking to myself that I want to be that one person to complete one or more of them and be proud of having the only CGC graded set in the world but then it dawns on me that there must be a reason why nobody else wants to collect these CGC graded sets and how stupid I must be if my idea is to do something that nobody else has ever done

I would appreciate any feedback, I feel as if its as plain as black and white that I SHOULD NOT collect these early set (graded) but it spinning around my head all the time and with my completest collectors mentality it is very compelling to me

thanks

Thanks for a very cool post. Many of us, I am sure, have felt the same about some or all of the things you have mentioned

1. As others have said, collect what you really like. This should be for fun. That includes what you decide to collect, as well as what you decide to slab.

If slabbing is enjoyable to you (for whatever reason), do it. But of course, one does have to be a bit careful - it is easy to get carried away. So make choices that are within your budget, and try to stay disciplined.

2. There are plenty of people who complete runs, whether in grade or not, and simply choose to not have them slabbed. Then there are those who do get them slabbed.

3. There are plenty of people who have high grade runs of titles IN SLABS but have not made it known to the CGC Registry that those slabs belong to them (that is, to that one person). So there is that too.

4. The titles/genres you mention are very cool. (To many, I am sure). Secret Hearts is a great title, by the way. Early SA DC 10 cent Romance is, I think, very difficult to find in grade (just like DC 10 cent War). If I am incorrect about this, I am sure some one will correct me.

Discipline!

And that which really moves you!

(thumbs u

I think you should go ahead!

Especially a Mystery in Space collection would be so cool.

I shouldn't have include Mystery in Space because there is actually already one very impressive set in the CGC registry 60% complete including almost all of the first 20 issue and in very high grade too! Mystery in space IS a very underappreciated DC run by comic collectors in general ( but well known and respected by golden age fans) I am over 50 yrs old so I don't think I have enough time in my life to put together a halfway decent 1-50 set of Mystery in Space as they are so elusive lol !!!!!

Forget what other folks do/don't do. Collect what makes you happy.

The registry was simply created by CGC to sell more slabs. :gossip:

Precisely. You fellows have summed it all up in a nutshell.

(thumbs u

Yes, you are going crazy then. Either find a good therapist (a really good looking one stacked to beat hell ideally because she'll take your mind off this registry business) or else take a cold shower.

:makepoint:

I shouldn't have include Mystery in Space because there is actually already one very impressive set in the CGC registry 60% complete including almost all of the first 20 issue and in very high grade too! Mystery in space IS a very underappreciated DC run by comic collectors in general ( but well known and respected by golden age fans) I am over 50 yrs old so I don't think I have enough time in my life to put together a halfway decent 1-50 set of Mystery in Space as they are so elusive lol !!!!!

Don't think like that! You've got plenty of time. :baiting:

For Mystery in Space I would almost think a 53-100 set would be cooler than the first 50.

For Mystery in Space I would almost think a 53-100 set would be cooler than the first 50.

I like the early MIS issues. I am also a fan of Adam Strange.

I prefer having both in the box. DC sci-fi was kind of special. Early issues of MIS were some of the best.

:whee:3740265746_1653ca7516.jpg

5985282678_db077d9b48_b.jpg

I like the early MIS issues. I am also a fan of Adam Strange.

I prefer having both in the box. DC sci-fi was kind of special. Early issues of MIS were some of the best.

BTW, was Mystery in Space one of your favourite titles when you were a kid? How long have you been pecking away at the run? Which are your best or most prized issues?

???

I look at the registry and see that not one person has a complete early run (1-50) of any of the famous 2nd tier DC issues like: Mystery in Space, Strange Adventures Tomahawk, big 5 DC war, House of Mystery, etc etc.. I see that not one person has attempted any of these sets and I start thinking to myself that I want to be that one person to complete one or more of them and be proud of having the only CGC graded set in the world but then it dawns on me that there must be a reason why nobody else wants to collect these CGC graded sets and how stupid I must be if my idea is to do something that nobody else has ever done...

I dunno why there aren't graded CGC registry sets, but there have to be a lot of people who have put together full runs of those titles.

Strange Adventures, for example, is a wonderful sci-fi comic. I've really enjoyed reading many issues. If you do put together a CGC-graded set, at least from #1 through let's say #40 or so, then hat's off to you.