• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OSPG vs Reality

83 posts in this topic

Though, I think you could just put out a single book (with larger text) that dropped the 20,000 or so issues that aren't worth anything.

+1,000

Does Boof #1 really need to be in there? Force Works #1? Wild Dog#1?

Some might have said the same about Rocket Raccoon a couple of years ago.

Some would still say it now. :insane:

-J.

For instance, OPG's grading scale is more layman-useful than the more proprietary one utilized by third-party graders.

What do you actually mean?

One is published.

One is not.

My post was composed hurriedly. Sorry 'bout that. It makes more sense read in the context of the first paragraph, but grammatically poor phrasing on my part. Hopefully, this is a bit more lucid.

In theory, third party grading (CGC, CBCS, PGX) should be similar to Overstreet's published grading guidelines, but most folks are convinced that differences exist. In a proprietary system only the internal guidelines apply and grades are based on consensus. Moreover, professional grading standards may vary dependent upon which flaws are given greater scrutiny at any given point in time. Disputed grades can be contested and resubmitted for review, but collectors never know what those grading standards are and that was my point.

OPG grades are clear & specific for laymen (non-professionals) assessing raw books (in this context, a layman is any person whose profession isn't grading books). That makes OPG's grading standards useful to collectors. Of course, published guidelines will never provide the level of assurance to collectors that third party grading offers, but the flip-side is constant speculation about the rationale for pro-grading when there are no published standards. Catch 22. (shrug)

Sounds like lots of big words signifying nothing...

;)[font:Times New Roman]I feel your pain, but there may be a solution for that as well...[/font]

handy_rab.gif

:kidaround: